Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no outrage over GGG hitting David after the bell and down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
    I didn't say Lemmuix did nothing wrong, I said legally he didn't do anything wrong. But in boxing terms he should defend himself properly. And I shall state for the third time, he was only on his knee for a fraction of a second before he was hit. Meaning he couldn't stop himself in time, and like I said before, he's not always going to be looking at his opponents knees but is rather looking to punch his opponent in the face. The ref didn't need to do anything about it, it's just boxing.
    This. Boxing is a serious sport. It's not really designed for people to take a knee. But when they do, absolutely the ref should wave off the attacker, or the attacker should notice and stop punching.

Lemieux took a quick, unexpected knee. Golovkin didn't see it time. Case closed.

This will be important preparation for when (and if) he faces Cotto.

Comment

I mean we could speculate, but only Golovkin knows the real truth and although I may be wrong, I don't see why Golovkin would be thinking, "I need to hit this guy right now.....cause it's just been so hard to touch him until now..." No. It really most likely was just an unfortunate heat of the moment kind of thing. And after having done so well in the fight until then, it really was bad judgement on Golovkin's part, he didn't need that punch or to take that risk of disqualification. But if there was a dq, we just would've got a rematch of the same fight. Respect to David for not flopping around pretending to be hurt, if he legitimately wasn't.

Ref should've at least called time for David and with a point deduction (or two) and a stern warning of disqualification checked Golovkin from not potentially doing anything like that again. This in itself would change Golovkin psychologically the next time he's in that sort of moment.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        Speaking for myself I am not outraged. David dropped to a knee suddenly and GGG hit him a fraction of a second later. It happened so fast I don't think GGG realized he was down. I don't think he intentionally hit a man he knew was down. It was a heat of battle thing. As many boxers as GGG has knocked down he has no history of hitting them when they are down. He is a clean fighter. I don't think the punch to the downed Lemieux had any effect on the fight.
        This.... End the thread already.

Comment

I didn't say Lemmuix did nothing wrong, I said legally he didn't do anything wrong. But in boxing terms he should defend himself properly. And I shall state for the third time, he was only on his knee for a fraction of a second before he was hit. Meaning he couldn't stop himself in time, and like I said before, he's not always going to be looking at his opponents knees but is rather looking to punch his opponent in the face. The ref didn't need to do anything about it, it's just boxing.
          Taking a knee is defending yourself properly. You get the action stopped and receive a count. And you can state a thousand times how long he was on his knees for. The fact is the G monster committed 2 fouls. Hitting a man who'd down and after the bell. Both fouls worthy of discipline. It is boxing and the knee is in fact a boxing move and within the rules. Hitting after the bell and while he's down are fouls.

Comment

DQ worthy or not, David was getting beat pillar to post, so the punch was really an after thought in the grand scheme of how things were playing out.

Comment

Yes you can protect yourself whilst taking a knee by covering up, rather than smiling at your opponent with your hands down. And like I said before in this thread, he was only on his knee for a fraction of a second before GGG hit him, so it was in no way malicious and perfectly understandable. GGG wasn't to know that Lemiaux was taking a knee, like I said, he's not a mind reader. The ref made the right decision.
              No, you don't have to and sometimes can't. Taking a knee is a temporary surrender. It means you don't wanna any until the ref's count is finished.

We really wouldn't know how the fight would have ended had that not happened. We can't know the impact, despite Lemieux's balls.

Taking a knee is a kinda submission, but in boxing it can be a short reprieve to regroup. It was the ref's call after that. Also, Lemieux's head was down after taking a knee.

That **** was dirty, no matter how you cut it.
              Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 10-25-2015, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                Taking a knee is defending yourself properly. You get the action stopped and receive a count. And you can state a thousand times how long he was on his knees for. The fact is the G monster committed 2 fouls. Hitting a man who'd down and after the bell. Both fouls worthy of discipline. It is boxing and the knee is in fact a boxing move and within the rules. Hitting after the bell and while he's down are fouls.
                Taking a knee isn't defending yourself properly in itself, if it was he wouldn't have got hit. You're not safe during the process of taking a knee or a little bit after as the opponent doesn't always know what you are doing and can't stop himself in time, so it is best to cover up to reduce the chance of taking an extra hit whilst taking a knee. It is unreasonable to expect GGG to know what lemieux was doing.

You seem to be taking the inflexible stance of, "he was on his knee whilst hit, therefore point deductions should happen." That's very simplistic and unreasonable, if a guy just touches down with his knee and you hit him just after his knee touches the canvas, how on earth can you penalize a fighter for that? You can't expect him to know he's taking a knee and you can't expect him to stop in such short time.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                  No, you don't have to and sometimes can't. Taking a knee is a temporary surrender. It means you don't wanna any until the ref's count is finished.

We really wouldn't know how the fight would have ended had that not happened. We can't know the impact, despite Lemieux's balls.

Taking a knee is a kinda submission, but in boxing it can be a short reprieve to regroup. It was the ref's call after that. Also, Lemieux's head was down after taking a knee.

That **** was dirty, no matter how you cut it.
                  Like I've explained before, of course you don't have to cover up as you take a knee, but if you want to reduce the chance of taking an extra hit whilst taking a knee then it's best to cover up rather than smile with your hands down. It's not hard to cover up mate, if your conscious enough to take a knee then your conscious enough to be able to cover up, and lemieux was clearly conscious enough to make the decision. This isn't rocket science, this the sweet science.

Most people knew the fight was in GGG's hands by then. That extra hit wouldn't have made much difference to the outcome.

How was it dirty? He was only on his knee for a fraction of a second before he was hit, like I've said numerous times, how was GGG to know he was gonna take a knee? He isn't a mind reader and wasn't focused on the guys knee's but on punching him in the face. How can you not understand the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    Several seconds?? There's no need for it to be several seconds. He took a knee and the bell rang. I don't think GGG should have been dq'd, but the ref should half taken a point or 2. Just in the interest of being fair.
                    The amount of time makes all of the difference in the world and it really is a case of common sense. If a fighter's glove grazes the canvas, should the fighter stand around waiting for the referee to rule it a knockdown? If a fighter stumbles into the ropes, should the fighter stand around and wait for the referee to rule it a knockdown? If a fighter is not able to fall to the ground and not answering the punches coming his way, should the fighter take a step back and wait for the referee to call the knockdown or fight?

He took a knee when his opponent was in the middle of his assault. Expecting Golovkin to immediate process that and stop doing what he was doing is too unreasonable of a demand, and fortunately the referee saw it as such.

Comment

I saw people complaining. He was already going to swing before he went down though and it was clearly accidental.

He should have been docked for sure but not DQ worthy IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X