No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Rapidly declining market? I'm definitely rooting for PPV's demise, but boxing has broken its PPV revenue record three times during the last 8 years, twice during the last 2 years & I believe the UFC has 4 fighters (Weidman, Rousey, McGregor & Jones) who are pulling in 700k+ numbers lately which is great for them. Doesn't seem like its a rapidly declining market unless that just happened in the last 60 or so days.

If Canelo vs Cotto does 400k I think we can start talking about maybe Floyd vs Manny & Manny vs his subpar opponents pre-Floyd & Floyd vs subpar Berto post-Manny PPV's having a overall negative impact on PPV, but I think its just the formula of fights seen as lacking in competitiveness &/or hype not generating big numbers not the PPV going to ****.
    PPV is a declining market. You mentioned Weidman, Rousey, McGregor, Jones...their cards are usually STACKED and HEAVILY promoted. They are scheduled perfectly usually as well. PPV is still big if you are a STAR. Look at Pac and Floyd, they were doing over a million and it didn't matter WHO they fought. Since 2013, Floyd has only done stellar numbers with Canelo/Pac.

PPV is still viable, but people are way more selective nowadays. Look at the UFC, you only mentioned the stars there. Look at their cards headlined by Aldo, Mighty Mouse etc, they do PITIFUL PPV numbers compared with their real stars yet they're P4P calibre fighters with great records. The UFCs brand doesn't automatically garner them a couple of hundred thousand PPV buys anymore.

It's all about the actual fight and promotion now. The card also has to be stacked well.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
      Damn, maybe 125k? Can the number crunching members help explain why this is a good thing?
      if accurate, it is a terrible number and will seriously hurt GGG at the negotiating table with Cotto or Canelo.......

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        That **** was not a PPV card, simple as

It was a forced PPV, it really did not belong at all. Those are numbers you expect from one of those Top Rank PPV's, not an HBO PPV. I'm surprised it did so low, I thought it would do at least 250k because I thought GGG had a decent fanbase. I guess not even his full fanbase supported his PPV. I know he doesn't only have 125k American fans. Lots of people, 1 million plus, tune in his HBO televised fights. Only 125k of those guys paid for hs PPV.
        I don't think he's developed a real fanbase yet. He has more of a cult hardcore following of people who may become future fans. You have to remember HBO viewership and online forum posts are more reflective of hardcore fans who follow the sport in general.

I think the biggest mistake was making his first PPV against such a weak lackluster opponent. Tyson was an established celebrity before he was getting million buy rates with Peter McNeeley.

This is a mix of impatience and HBO trying to build a new superstar on a tight budget. This fight should have been on HBO where it could generate 1.5 million views and further build GGGs brand.

Comment

• So what? its his first PPV nobody knows David....This fight was basically GGG vs KO victim who mite test his chin. Fights with Cotto,Canelo will make up for it. And if Ward gains some steam after that layoff. Ward Vs GGG could be huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            if accurate, it is a terrible number and will seriously hurt GGG at the negotiating table with Cotto or Canelo.......
            Doubt that mattered.....Canelo/Cotto have too much clout compared to GGG

Comment

• Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
              Damn, maybe 125k? Can the number crunching members help explain why this is a good thing?
              At the HBO headquarters right now:

Comment

No bueno. I don't even wanna imagine what cotto would make him do if he's to defeat Canelo. Weight, location, rehydration, purse split. It's gonna be difficult for ol' ggg

Comment

Not much though. He was taking way less then either guy regardless..he may get like $3-4 million if the Canelo fight happens... He just got $2 million for Lemueix

As far as the weight goes, they can't dictate a catch weight for the title, it's a mandatory at 160. Of course they will though and then it's up to him how low he wants to go but I assume they'd have to vacate the title if they won't do it at 160.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                    At the HBO headquarters right now:

Comment

• Not great numbers...should have been on regular HBO like someone said...they're rushing things....

Comment

Working...
                      X