No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    I do have 20 years in the sport (easily verifiable), and I can ASSURE you that at this moment in time, GGG going to 168 and fighting Ward is without a doubt a lose-lose proposition.
    Other than his undefeated record and KO streak, he doesn't stand to lose anything. He doesn't have to vacate the belts. He doesn't lose his mandatory spot with Cotto. HBO wouldn't get rid of him.

IMO its comparable to Canelo/Floyd or better yet Manny/Margs. Canelo wasn't and IMO Manny wouldn't have been hurt by a loss given the situation.

We can agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Cool. I guess my reputation precedes me. I have been known to do stuff like that, but its never on purpose.

If you saw my response to j0zef I said similar. Anyone that suggested what you and he posted was immediately called a racist and a GGG hater.

I think you both have valid points. There are some GGG fans now using these as excuses after doing the above.

He is by no means done. IMO his best bet is Canelo winning. I can't see Cotto fighting him if he wins.
      I love watching GGG fight(as I do lots of fighters) but I am by no means a fanboy. I hate being a fanboy of any fighter. I love watching boxing and attaching myself to one fighter is not what im about as a fan. Im the type of fan who can be very critical of the ones I enjoy watching instead of always trying to protect them. I like to pride myself on being a real fan of boxing and a fan who calls it like he sees it and a fan who can admit when he got something wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
        Well the reason Ward is not that big of a success is because of his style(which is considered boring), he is not an explosive fighter and his personality. He is kind of a bland boring person. Mix all of those things together and you get what Ward is now.

With Wilder he is slowly becoming big. He just won a piece of the heavyweight title, so him becoming a huge star is still there. He just needs to fight bigger and better guys.
        There is no reason this shouldn't apply to GGG as well. He is fight **** competition, his ppv numbers will reflect that. It has nothing to do with him being non-American. The biggest stars in boxing are not American.....FACT!
        Last edited by Xi_; 10-21-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I love watching GGG fight(as I do lots of fighters) but I am by no means a fanboy. I hate being a fanboy of any fighter. I love watching boxing and attaching myself to one fighter is not what im about as a fan. Im the type of fan who can be very critical of the ones I enjoy watching instead of always trying to protect them. I like to pride myself on being a real fan of boxing and a fan who calls it like he sees it and a fan who can admit when he got something wrong.
          I can respect that. I have been a fan a long time but have 2 favorite fighters-Hagler and Floyd. When I am wrong, I am quick to say I am. Sadly on NSB, being a Floyd fan means judgment is already passed.

Is what it is.

Just so long as you understand I wasn't backhanding you or anything of the sort. The site needs more of that discussion and less BS.

Comment

I do have 20 years in the sport (easily verifiable), and I can ASSURE you that at this moment in time, GGG going to 168 and fighting Ward is without a doubt a lose-lose proposition.
            You are going wayyy too far with your scenario.

Golovkin can go up to 168, beat Ward, and on top of having ALL boxing press and hardcore fans calling him the best in the game, he would still have the position he enjoys now at 160 (mandatory spots to unify all the belts). That is a fact.

I think what you mean to say is that going up to 168 is not worth the risk, because he should cash in all the high profile easy fights he can before graduating to high profile hard fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
              There is no reason this shouldn't apply to GGG as well. He is fighting **** competition, and his ppv numbers will reflect that. It has nothing to do with him being American. The biggest stars in boxing are not American.....FACT!
              GGG not being an American his a huge reason he is not the huge star his fanboys portray him to be. What country is he from? Is there millions of his countrymen living here in America? Nope

Plus the dudes who are huge stars here in America, look at their backround. Cotto from Puerto Rico(which is a boxing nation), has a huge fanbase here because there is millions and millions of Puerto Ricans here in the US. Same with Canelo, a Mexican, and boxing nation, and another fanbase where there is millions and millions here in the US also. And same with Pacquiao, a philpino(philipines is a great boxing nation too) and there is millions of phillipinos here in the US.

Ward star power is not there because he has a boring style and his personality is just as boring. With Wilder, he is fairly new on to the scene but his star power is growing with each fight.

Comment

That's just dumb and I don't care how many years you've "had in the sport." Just admit you don't like the fight for other reasons. Mainly that Golovkin doesn't want it and would likely lose.

Comment

I don't think HBO lost money on this PPV but it didn't generate a huge pay day for them either. Their overhead wasn't all that much going in. They didn't have to worry about paying GGG 30+ million dollars. With the gate and PPV I see it all generating around 80+ millions dollars overall. So after paying all fighters which can't be anymore than 10-12 million overall. They still have around 70 million to split with the cable distributor. Like I said HBO didn't lose money and they only made a small profit.
                  Buddy 150K buys at an average of $55 per purchase is 8.25M, and that's assuming it even reaches 150K. The gate will be lucky to reach 750K. That's 9M. Not 80M.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I can respect that. I have been a fan a long time but have 2 favorite fighters-Hagler and Floyd. When I am wrong, I am quick to say I am. Sadly on NSB, being a Floyd fan means judgment is already passed.

Is what it is.

Just so long as you understand I wasn't backhanding you or anything of the sort. The site needs more of that discussion and less BS.
                    Yea being a Floyd fan here at NSB is a bad thing, but you have his unreasonable fanboys to thank for that. IMO his fanboy base are the worse out of all fanboy bases. In there opinion Floyd cant and never does wrong and saying he does something wrong is sacrilege. Its almost a sin for them to say anything wrong about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                      Buddy 150K buys at an average of $55 per purchase is 8.25M, and that's assuming it even reaches 150K. The gate will be lucky to reach 750K. That's 9M. Not 80M.
                      Actually you are right, my calucatuions were wrong( I don't know where I came up with that number), but their overhead still wasnt all that much. So if it did lose money it wasn't all that much. The higher ups know way more than us when it come to this stuff so they didn't go blindly into it thinking this was going to be a for sure home run. Any good business man prepares for the worse and makes sure if the worse happen they will still be ok. So regardless I think everyone got paid, not a whole lot but they still got paid.

Btw the PPV cost 59 for standard and 69 for hd.
                      Last edited by boxinghead530; 10-21-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X