No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    I don't know that 1 million was ever a sure thing for that fight, so I wouldn't be shocked.

I do agree it is kind of a transition phase for boxing currently and PPV is not really the place to build star power, it can be done if someone steals someone else's shine.
    I also feel like the Promoters and also the Networks desperately are trying to hold onto PPV, the same way music labels were trying to hold onto album record sales. They don't want to adapt asap. They only wanna adapt when they are left with no other option.

Comment

• If they did close to 150K I still think that is solid. They was smart keeping the budget down! They did not spend big money on Commercials or anything like that so if it is close to 150K I would say that is Solid for 2 Guys whom neither is American or Mexican

Next for GGG hopefully is the winner of Cotto vs Canelo which I'm sure will do even bigger numbers.

I do think it is some overzealous fans who are unrealistically trying to make guys Superstars overnight talking about 300K-500K need a dose of reality. Boxing is not that Popular in America so expecting 2 Guys who are not from this Country to come here and put up Big PPV Numbers their very first try just wasn't realistic

Comment

• 150k is disappointing if accurate. That's $3.75mill, enough to cover the purses, but that wasn't the point. They were looking to make a mark. It's not Hopkins/Dawson 50k bad, but it's not even Cotto/Martinez 315k. The Canadian ppv is a separate model, but I wouldn't expect it to be much.

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        I don't know that PPV is a totally dying model but there is a clear way to do it right which I don't think they really did.

The fight quite simply needed to marinate, mainly on the Lemieux end. Lemieux was a fairly obscure guy even with his title. That title fight was on like FS2 when those stations were brand new, I remember the fight thread because I was watching the fight and there were maybe 10 dudes in that thread for what was a quality fight. More people were watching the garbage Ward fight simply because more people had access to BET.

He needed more exposure to really be a PPV B-side, a couple decent looking wins on HBO along with some talk of the fight building over time would have done wonders. If they were serious about maximizing PPV numbers anyway
        I agreed with this before the fight was made. Lemieux/N'Dam not being on HBO hurt. If David had a couple more fights on HBO knocking guys out, it would've sold this fight alot more.

Comment

• fail!!!! this is an epic fail and there isn't lil g groupie out there that can deny this.

Comment

• Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
            Within those 19 years, who were the prizefighters?

Within the last 9, who were the prizefighters?
            You know who they are. But does it matter?

Assuming Canelo wins next month as expected & does 800k+ numbers he's gonna be that next PPV guy to connect his PPV era to the Floyd/Manny PPV era (2008-2015) to the Oscar PPV era (2002-2007) to the Lewis/Tyson/Holyfied PPV era (1988-2002).

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Thats nuts. From 1988-2006 (19yrs) there had been 11 PPV's that had 1M+ buys & none that did 2M+. From 2007-2015 (9yrs) there have been 14 PPV's that had 1M+ buys, 3 that did 2M+ buys & 1 that did 4M+ buys. If you put on competitive fights they will come, if you don't they won't.

There is zero evidence people won't buy PPV to see perceived competitive fights between top fighters. When you try to put one over on the public you tend to feel that in your PPV numbers.
              Great post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                LOL at FightHype the land of the GGG haters, aka the ****** of the internet lol. Fatass high school dropout Ben Thompson makes crap up just to keep his GoDaddy site running.

ALSO it wouldn't be Gennadys fault most boxing fans live in poverty and have to pick and choose what they spend a $60 on. We probably have the poorest fanbase in all sports.
                Dude you just went from dork to super idiot with this one. Nice job

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                  how much cotto/canelo do?
                  1.5k +

Comment

• Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                    LOL at FightHype the land of the GGG haters, aka the ****** of the internet lol. Fatass high school dropout Ben Thompson makes crap up just to keep his GoDaddy site running.

ALSO it wouldn't be Gennadys fault most boxing fans live in poverty and have to pick and choose what they spend a $60 on. We probably have the poorest fanbase in all sports.
                    What a legend....

Comment

• Originally posted by carloscruz10009 View Post
                      Like you've been told since you started to GGG butt kissing around here. Nobody cares about GGG except hardcore fight fans. The fight most hardcore fans wanna see is Ward-GGG. So unless ya monkey spank fuel wants to sack up and fight Ward. Or, bend over and he anally rapped in negotiations by the Cotto-Nelo winner. The max for ya boy and his bull**** unification, aka I don't want my ass brutalized and humiliated by Ward crusade. The max for him is gonna by these kinda numbers. Enjoy history homie. #alt #hkndbldn
                      So let's put Ward vs Aussie kangaroo on PPV and see how it does. Not as co main event to Cotto, all on it's own. ****ing idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X