No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin Rejects Idea of Catch-Weight For Cotto, Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
    Oh how sweet it is to be ignorant. I shouldn't even respond to a person who believes a blog post will sway negotiations, how important you are, lmao.

Any way GGG most likely got paid about 2 mill for his last fight on PPV no less. With PPV, close to 3-4 mill if he's lucky. Cotto is set to make about 30 mill plus, Canelo will make 10 mill plus. GGG's biggest payday is Cotto/Canelo and it is stupidity to even dispute that. And the reality is everyone knows Cotto is shrewd in negotiations, with all the grand standing GGG and his team continue to do, Cotto will make them pay at the table, in the pocketbook. Add too the fact that Loeffler pretty much said they would agree to all Cotto's terms, well my friend you have your self a rape. And lets be clear, dont confuse what im saying with "hope" that this happens, I could care less who gets what, when and where, I just want to see this damn fight. But you can't be a fool, it's obvious hiw these negotiations will go down.
    We'll just wait and see, won't we?

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
      Well, Shaws opinion is irrelevant. Opinions are ass-holes, everyone has one.

I actually agree with him, but both of our opinions are irrelevant.

Nobody is saying that a contracted catchweight re-writes the rules of boxing.

I am saying that the OFFICIAL contracted SANCTIONED weight for the Martinez fight was 159, and neither fighter could weigh more..... and the OFFICIAL contracted SANCTIONED weight for the Geale fight was 157, and neither fighter could weigh more.

The fact that Cotto did not even come close to the contracted weight of 157lbs in the Geale fight confirms that he trained to come in at his best fighting weight, which was proven to be 153lbs.

You are just going to have to face up to the fact that Cotto is a JMW.

I really dont see how you attempting to convince the world that 153lb Cotto is a middleweight could possibly benefit either you or Golovkin.

Cotto should drop the belt if he is not prepared to fight a MW at 160.

Well, he wont...... so lets move on.

IF Cotto beats Canelo, and thats a big IF..... Golovkin will either accept his catchweight demand or he will go kick rocks while he waits for a reply to his request for the WBC to have Cotto stripped.

Meanwhile, you will kill yourself trying to explain why Golovkin turned down that HUGE payday after publicly stating (today) that he can make 154.
      Question:
      1) Was Cotto mandatory to Martinez?
      2) Was Geale mandatory to Cotto?
      3) Is Canelo mandatory to Cotto?
      4) Is Golovkin mandatory to Cotto?

ok, I hope you understand now.

Comment

You must have trouble reading. The splits you just posted are what the fighters have to pay the WBC for the right to fight for the title. Sanctioning bodies cannot and will not dictate terms of a purse split, unless it's a bid in which case the split would be 50-50. The 75-25 split was rumored as what Cotto wants for a GGG bout. Again the WBC nor any sanctioning bodie will determine a purse split.

I never said that Cotto wouldn't be striped. My point is and has always been, a catch weight is a catch weight no matter the circumstances, and if GGG wants the biggest paycheck, and most popular boost in his career, he will have to agree to a catch weight.
        It says that the Purseoffer, after sanctioning fees, is to be divided.... Dude. You are the one with reading comprehension problems. In a big way.

Again. In a purse bid the winning bid is to be divided 70/30 after the sanctioning fees has been paid.

So thats where negotiations start. In volontary negotiations, Cotto has to come up with a better split than 70/30 if he wants Golovkin to accept say a CW. Otherwise Golovkin will just refuse and let the fight go to Purseoffer and get 30% and 160 lbs. Do you get it now? It's not rocketscience.

Now that this has been established tell me. You, as a Cotto-stan, how would you feel if Cotto vacates rather than defend against GGG? Is that ok to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Yes it's possible that it will not go to pursebids, but if volontary negotiations results in a CW you can be sure that terms for GGG will be better financially than they would have been with a pursebid. That's common sense.

Hopkins got paid for the CW. Same thing can happen to GGG. Note a difference here though: This was not a champion fighting a mandatory. See?
          Nope, dont see a difference AT ALL.

Cotto still weighs 153.

Comment

It won't go to a purse bid because fighters at Cotto's level pretty much do what they want. Cotto would drop the title in a second. And the split, yeah sure maybe it'll go from 75-25 to 70-30, they'll still get raped in negotiations.

As far as a champion fighting a mando. You guys get all caught up in the circumstances of a catchweight so you can justify when a fighter you support requests one, in reality it doesn't matter who has a title or who fought in what division, a catch weight is a catch weight, and it is always to make the fight a little more even for the smaller guy. I would like to see a rule that no "world" title (emphasis on world) can be won at a catch weight, but that's not the current landscape. As such I give credit to Pac for defeating Cotto at 145, Ill give Cotto credit for fighting GGG at a catch weight, and would give GGG credit for fighting Ward at a catch weight. All you guys need to get off this catch weight stuff, it's been happening for damn near a century and it won't stop now because a couple of fan boy's got a hard on for a fighter. Not saying you're a fan boy but it's prevalent on this site.
            Great post..... either abolish them, or accept them..... just dont use them for excuses whenever it happens to be convenient. Cotto still weighs 153.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barcham View Post
              Golovkin doesn't care about the payday, he wants the belt. In the past they offered to fight Cotto for next to nothing and Cotto never even replied to their offer. Money is not the problem here. GGG will not accept a catchweight to fight for a title in his own division. He has made this very clear in the past and anyone who doubts him is a fool.
              Golovkin doesn't care about the payday?

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                It says that the Purseoffer, after sanctioning fees, is to be divided.... Dude. You are the one with reading comprehension problems. In a big way.

Again. In a purse bid the winning bid is to be divided 70/30 after the sanctioning fees has been paid.

So thats where negotiations start. In volontary negotiations, Cotto has to come up with a better split than 70/30 if he wants Golovkin to accept say a CW. Otherwise Golovkin will just refuse and let the fight go to Purseoffer and get 30% and 160 lbs. Do you get it now? It's not rocketscience.

Now that this has been established tell me. You, as a Cotto-stan, how would you feel if Cotto vacates rather than defend against GGG? Is that ok to you?

Lmao!!! This is how people make them selves look stupid. The paragraph you are referring too as the WBC rules on a purse split, is the rules for after a purse bid has been submitted and approved. Maybe
                You should have downloaded the entire PDF file instead of trolling for a way to prove/support your point. If you would have took the time to read the WBC rules you would have read that once a bout is ordered or sanctioned, both parties have 30 days of FREE negotiations to agree to terms and submit a contract, if this does not happen the WBC will send the bout to a purse bid where the rules you listed apply. Those rules do not apply to free negotiations, as I said, a sanctioning body cannot and will not affect a purse split unless it is a bid.

And why do people like you insist on calling someone a "stan" because you are proven wrong, or someone has a different take then you? I mean all it does is prove that you are actually the "stan". If Cotto vacates and moves back down I'll be disappointed the fight didn't happen, but I'm not a little bich like the rest of you and I don't know Cotto personally, so I don't feel either way about him. Just like I would be disappointed GGG vs Ward doesn't happen but I don't feel any way about either man.

Comment

• Of course, as well he should. If they're gonna be fighting for the middleweight title, they can't make catch weights to gain advantage. If they don't want to fight at 160, then drop the belt and **** off back down to the junior middleweight division. It's pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                    Ok. So even when I post links which prove that what you are saying is totally wrong, you still refuse to accept the truth.

Not much point trying to have an honest debate with a troll. I should have known better than to waste my time trying.

If you were an ex boxer and a genuine fan of the sport, as you claim, you wouldn't even need this explaining to you, btw. It's all basic stuff which any real fan would know about.
                    You did no such thing.

Every fight takes place within the standard divisional limit.

Including title fights.

Unless a catchweight is agreed upon by both parties.

Including title fights.

The point that you have missed is that the WBC have appointed Golovkin as Cottos mandatory..... yes, despite refusing to rank Wladimir Klitschko in their top 10 at heavyweight because he happens to be the WBA champion, the WBC have not only chosen to ignore their rules and rank the WBA middleweight champion, they have decided to install him as mandatory.

I fully expect you to endorse those double-standards.

And as a result of that mandate, Golovkin is relying on the WBC to strip Cotto when Golovkin refuses Cottos catchweight demand.

I fully expect you to endorse that b1tch move as well.

If that happens, Golovkin will be regarded as a cherry-picking coward.

Not by me, I dont use words like that to describe fighters.

But you do.....

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                    Any boxer who publicly called out a smaller man.....then refused to even discuss a CW, would be viewed as a cherry picking coward.
                    True to form, I expect you to totally flip-flop on your prior comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
                      Catchweights for titles I find a joke. And provided Cotto gets by Canelo, and the WBC holds firm with their sanction of Cotto having to fight Golovkin at 160

Golovkin doesn't budge on CW, and Cotto is forced to vacate his MW belt

what would the general reception be?

1. Would Cotto be defended by backers?

2. Or Cotto be seen as a coward, who walked away, because he couldn't get his way?

Side note, if you NEED to use catchweights (159 vs Martinez, 157 vs Geale and 155 vs Canelo) in a division where you're allowed to weigh up to 160lbs that speaks volumes

If GGG refuses to concede a couple of lbs and that forces Cotto to vacate his WBC belt ... the situation should seen for what it is.
                      IMO, Golovkin will likely be regarded as a coward, a cherry-picker, and a hypejob.

Not by me..... I will just regard him as a cherry-picker, and a hypejob.

Honestly, why would Golovkin do that ?

1) Golovkin is being widely criticized for his shht resume'
                      2) Cotto is the very best payday on the planet for Golovkin
                      3) GGG has stated on many occasions (yesterday) that he can make 154

So why on earth would he refuse to give Cotto a catchweight ?

Unless..... surely not ?

Comment

Working...
                      X