Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does advanced technology give boxers an advantage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the argument I use to be pro-PEDs. I think its fairly arbitrary that some things are deemed illegal performance enhancing & some are deemed legal performance enhancing. I think a lot of it just breaks down to what one can actually catch you doing & thats why my stance basically breaks down to if you get caught you used PEDs, if you didn't get caught you didn't.

And this seems to basically hold true. Mosley has admitted to PED usage & his result with Oscar stands (not sure if he was using in other fights, but thats the one that I believe is for sure a fight he used PEDs for). Tyson has admitted to PED usage (don't recall the fight), but outside of the times he got busted for weed his results stand. Neither guy has been demonized like PEDs themselves seem to be demonized. No one cares if you don't get caught & they barely care than based on all the guys who've really gotten lil to no strong stances against them, so why should anyone care?

So after all my side tracking, yes absolutely various advancements & studies are performance enhancing & give fighters of today advantages that others not using them won't have. The reality is boxing or any other sport will never be completely level or fair cuz nature is not level & not fair.

Comment

It has the potential to give them an advantage, but more often than not, today's fighters don't know how to properly apply these new tools. Instead of working like the old timers and just adding the benefits of modern training and recovery methods a lot of them go over board with the "new stuff" and neglect the basic fundamentals you can't replace with modern training.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
        It has the potential to give them an advantage, but more often than not, today's fighters don't know how to properly apply these new tools. Instead of working like the old timers and just adding the benefits of modern training and recovery methods a lot of them go over board with the "new stuff" and neglect the basic fundamentals you can't replace with modern training.
        Was going to say something similar to this. Modern medicine and knowledge are all tools, its all about how you apply those tools to yourself. I think guys like Wlad who approach the sport like a science, do their research, understand how all these tools affect and help him get the most out of it. Some people just treat training camps like weight loss camps with a bare focus on boxing. Other people like Nonito are self taught and think they know everything there is to know.

Comment

The level of athlete in boxing today is generally vastly inferior to those from thirty or twenty years ago.

Comment

Working...
          X