Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Y'all want Lucas to continue and end up like Margarito?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    I do have the right to demand, as does anyone who watches. It's our viewership which brings in millions of dollars of ad revenue and thousands in gate receipts, which puts money in the pockets of promoters and TV executives and makes rich men of street fighters. As in any sport or any entertainment, it is the audience which pays the bills.

If Matthysse was not a respected TV fighter, he wouldn't be making the money he does and his promoters would not be selling him, nor would the TV execs buy him...what has made him a respected TV fighter? It's the fans that have tuned in or written about him on social media and promoted him on forums.

Everyone in entertainment owes something to the public, there was a time when they understood that, maybe they still do now.
    With all that said, you still can't demand a fighter to fight. You can choose to change the channel, choose not to pay for HBO, not support said fight, but you will never be able to demand a fighter to fight, no matter how you slice it.

Comment

Can't believe he quit

Postol is a bad man.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalez_Boxing View Post
        With all that said, you still can't demand a fighter to fight. You can choose to change the channel, choose not to pay for HBO, not support said fight, but you will never be able to demand a fighter to fight, no matter how you slice it.
        It's not just me as an individual, it's the entire boxing public and once they feel a fighter is not worth their effort, they will turn away, change the channel and that damages the ratings, the tv execs pockets and the fighter's reputation. Which is why you will see a drop in matthysse's promotion and his paychecks. HBO and all other broadcasters know what is worth their money, they know Matthysse may no longer be.

Which is why most fighters choose to go on and lose laying flat on their shield, not on one knee watching the count. Which is why the likes of Gatti always drew crowds. Plus it's not just that, it's the fact that boxing, as a martial art, defines a man. One can not just say "no more"...that will haunt him and damage him and take him years to recover. Just ask Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          Who are you? Larryx?

"Ya'll"
          Lol. Great catch.

Comment

This is why i am on fire today.when a fighter who is defensive andfights everyone and wins.you call him a ****ing coward..but when a so called warrior who loses every damn time he steps up quits in the middle of the ****ing ring and tells you he was not hurt but it was"health first" ya'll make a million excuses for him...ya'll are clowns

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              It's not just me as an individual, it's the entire boxing public and once they feel a fighter is not worth their effort, they will turn away, change the channel and that damages the ratings, the tv execs pockets and the fighter's reputation. Which is why you will see a drop in matthysse's promotion and his paychecks. HBO and all other broadcasters know what is worth their money, they know Matthysse may no longer be.

Which is why most fighters choose to go on and lose laying flat on their shield, not on one knee watching the count. Which is why the likes of Gatti always drew crowds. Plus it's not just that, it's the fact that boxing, as a martial art, defines a man. One can not just say "no more"...that will haunt him and damage him and take him years to recover. Just ask Duran.
              I guess in a sense you're right, you can demand all you want, but it's about as ridiculous as me demanding Mayweather throw 100 punches per round for my entertainment, but hey I'm a fan and I demand it.

I'm sure as a professional fighter Lucas is well aware of the consequences of quitting. If he felt he was too injured or had no chance of winning and decided to quit, that's on him. What takes one fighter years to recover from might take another fighter a fight or two.

If you feel martial arts defines a man, then good on you. I look at it as sports entertainment, not a measuring stick. You have good days and bad days, and I won't discount a whole career over one fight nor will I demand a fighter perform a certain way for my entertainment. If I don't like what I see I tune out, simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                This is why i am on fire today.when a fighter who is defensive andfights everyone and wins.you call him a ****ing coward..but when a so called warrior who loses every damn time he steps up quits in the middle of the ****ing ring and tells you he was not hurt but it was"health first" ya'll make a million excuses for him...ya'll are clowns
                You're not on fire, you're acting like a straight clown. You hate when people call your fighter a coward, so you take the chance to "retaliate". All you're doing is showing yourself to be a hypocrite. You're the same as the people you make fun of.

Comment

It's the double standards that are annoying.

Ortiz is a quitter, but Matthysse isn't? We always excuse the fighters we like for quitting, even when it's in a manner that's hard to excuse, like with this fight.

It was also the end of the round. If Lucas had gotten up, he could've checked out the eye as he claims. Frankly, it sounds like bullshlt from Lucas. He was beat, and he quit. He claims the headbut hurt his eye and the punch temporarily blinded him? Pure bad luck? Sounds like excuses to me.

Funny how no one ever quits like that when they are winning the fight.

Comment

I do agree. Matthysse lost but clearly there was something wrong there. It's like complaining about Vitali having to retire after injury himself. It's also not different from a guy who doesn't have his head together after a KO and is still waay too wobbly (like Geale or Monroe).

Boxing's a dangerous sport that you can't risk going on just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfist View Post
                      It's the double standards that are annoying.

Ortiz is a quitter, but Matthysse isn't? We always excuse the fighters we like for quitting, even when it's in a manner that's hard to excuse, like with this fight.

It was also the end of the round. If Lucas had gotten up, he could've checked out the eye as he claims. Frankly, it sounds like bullshlt from Lucas. He was beat, and he quit. He claims the headbut hurt his eye and the punch temporarily blinded him? Pure bad luck? Sounds like excuses to me.

Funny how no one ever quits like that when they are winning the fight.
                      I personally saw it as a quit. It was reminiscent of the Leonard-Duran 2 Duran quit. Both guys got out skilled and frustrated, then gave up. Still even if you see posters making double standards, why stoop to their level?

Comment

Working...
                      X