What do Matthysse fans think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I'm gonna give my personal opinion on Lucas Matthysse -

Lucas Matthysse is this era's Arturo Gatti. He was never gonna be elite no matter how hard the fanboys hyped him up. He was never gonna be a bum no matter how much the haters discredit him. But I am a fan of his for life because this mother****er made it worthwhile staying up every single ****ing night until 7 AM just to watch him fight. He's limited but he was pure action. The wars have finally caught up, his desire doesn't seem to be there and Postol was too good on the night. I feel this generation will be retiring early. Bradley, Garcia, Provodnikov, Khan, Matthysse...all have taken an unhealthy amount of punishment.

Lucas should retire now. If the desire isn't there, then there's no point continuing to fight in matches of a lesser scale. As I mentioned before, Matthysse is one of the very few fighters who made my nights. He made staying up until 7AM every Saturday night/Sunday morning worth it.
    I think lucas is better than gatti, but yeah i agree with our assessment

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Matthysse is alright if you let him just do what he wants, but if a guy has a plan and the ability to mitigate him he is pretty much up a creek without a paddle.

That is not unique to him really, but he doesn't seem to have that iron will to overcome adversity to make the other guys plan fall apart because of his strength and power.

It is the old thing Matthysse has a lot of those things that are in flashing neon lights that are easy to see why he could be good. It is the things you can't really see that are the problem and those cracks in the foundation are generally bigger issues than the flashing lights can cover up long term.
      This, I've said this about Matthysse a million times. Against guys like Provo or Peterson, where they didn't mount much offense for various reason and Matthysse was in full flow, he looked a million bucks. A world beater. But against guys who fight back and walk through his offense, he looks worried and never has a plan b.

Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
      Thats the argument I made.

I like Matthysse and wanted him to be great. Looks like a great guy who wasnt spoon fed titles like Broner.

But I always thought that the fact he never won the big one or came up short exposed a lack of either skill or confidence. Take Maidana, a man of lesser skills who nonetheless has mountains of confidence to not give up.

So, I just think the excuses for every loss hid the fact that he was not all that good or lacked grit and confidence to use his otherwordly power.

But the excuses will continue.
      I know, just look at what I've quoted below, headbutts are the new excuse lol But I like matthsse too, always put on a good fight but we have to understand, he is very limited with what he can do and the balls that he has.

Originally posted by Trinidad_Fan View Post
      I'm a Matthysse fan, so I'll answer.
      What do I think?

1. Postol looked 30 pounds heavier than Lucas in the ring. Taller... longer reach... heavier. Tough mountain to climb. Reminded me of a smaller version of Chavez Jr.

2. The clinching and leaning on Matthysse was obnoxious and annoying as hell. The ref warned him about it, and to his credit.... he stopped doing that and began boxing more.

3. The savage (accidental) headbutt bothered the living hell out of Matthysse. Miracle no one was cut on that one. Changed the flow of the fight.

4. Credit where credit is due. Postol fought a hell of a fight, and showed a great chin, because he did get tagged a few times in the middle rounds.

5. It was surprising to see Matthysse not try to beat the count. Was not expecting that from Lucas.

6. I think Lucas is far from done. He's fought a couple of tough opponents the last two times out (for different reasons)... but he's still got his power and his underrated boxing skills. He'll be back.
      You can't say "credit wheer credit due" and then cry about headbutts. Matt hit Postol with like 50 rabbit punches, some low punches and was holding like a motherfuker. The headbutt was accidental and Matthysse went onto do well in some rounds. But he couldn't get back up because in his heart, he didn't want anymore.

If only you step back and say "fair is fair, my man ain't the best at the world level" I'd respect your opinion more. Matt I think has realised it himself. He quit, it's all there is to it. No more excuses, we've been hearing them for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        You can't say "credit wheer credit due" and then cry about headbutts. Matt hit Postol with like 50 rabbit punches, some low punches and was holding like a motherfuker. The headbutt was accidental and Matthysse went onto do well in some rounds. But he couldn't get back up because in his heart, he didn't want anymore.

If only you step back and say "fair is fair, my man ain't the best at the world level" I'd respect your opinion more. Matt I think has realised it himself. He quit, it's all there is to it. No more excuses, we've been hearing them for years now.

Who's crying? I mentioned the headbutt. It was pretty bad and it seemed to affect Lucas more than Postol. I also called it accidental. Did you read that? Fifty rabbit punches? He should've hit him with 100, with all the goddam clinching Postol was doing. "My man"? Bro, I had no dog in that fight. Merely calling 'em as I see them. Unlike you, I had no hate coloring my views. Lucas quit? I also said as much. What else do you object to?

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad_Fan View Post
          Who's crying? I mentioned the headbutt. It was pretty bad and it seemed to affect Lucas more than Postol. I also called it accidental. Did you read that? Fifty rabbit punches? He should've hit him with 100, with all the goddam clinching Postol was doing. "My man"? Bro, I had no dog in that fight. Merely calling 'em as I see them. Unlike you, I had no hate coloring my views. Lucas quit? I also said as much. What else do you object to?
          you said your a matt fan, so he is your man.

and your clearly using the headbutt as an excuse, otherwise you wouldnt bring it up as it didnt cause any damage or cuts and matt was fine after. it was the punch that hit him and KOd him. get over it.

Comment

Matthysse is one of my favorites, and it was truly disappointing watching the fight unfold the way it did. Not sure if matts had outside problems heading into the fight or if postol really is that good, but lucas was out boxed and really beaten up. Those last 3 rounds in particular postol was landing at will with no fear of what was coming back at him. The look of discouragement was apparent in his face, and I could tell when he went down and was on his knee he wasn't getting back up.

It will be difficult given for him to bounce back from this, he's taken some punishment since the garcia fight and he's not getting any younger. Like others have suggested, maybe a new team and trainer like Robert garcia or Freddy roach can rejuvenate him but at this point who knows. I'd love to see him come back from this.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              I've always liked Matthysse and I've always said he is a good fighter but I've had several arguments on this forum with Matthysse fans who have called me a hater when I don't agree that he is an unstoppable machine. He couldn't stop an ageing Judah and lost and then he lost in a close fight to Alexander. Every step up, barring Peterson, has left Matthysse as a failure. Then came Garcia, "en dos round"...do you all remember that? Not only did Garcia beat him as a boxer that night, he broke Matthysse's heart. Molina almost took him out too.

Since then, I've been saying Matthysse lacks true fighting spirit and I was shocked he beat Provo but then again, Provo slowed down terribly in the later rounds, leaving the door open for Matthysse to go home a winner. In this fight, I expected Matthysse to box his way to a win but I also said that if Postol is real, this is his time to prove it. He proved it beyond any doubt.

So what do the Matthysse fans say now then? Is their man anything more than a perennial contender who has some decent pop? I don't think he is, I never did. And that's not hating, that's just recognising a fighter's ceiling.

Postol threw a wrench into the machine.
              May your love of boxing out shine any favoritism for any boxer.
              May our sense of fairness in the ring be measured by the skills each warrior brings.
              May we all allow our favorite boxers the right to fail, and we still remain fans.

Let's let deeds, and heart, not words or hype determine who the best man is.

Let us never see color in the ring, except blue & red corners.

Let us always be fair to each and every man who laces them up, and gives it his all. Win, lose or draw.

In defeat no excuses, in victory no prideful boasts.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                I'm not assigning a random number. Search for the poll. It was somewhere around 90% that thought Lucas won. Maybe even more than that. This is way before Garcia and NSB caring about Lucas, too, so you can't say people are only saying that out of bias.
                Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                I always thought he's a good fighter but not a top fighter.

For all the people who say he was robbed against Judah and Devon, a top fighter wouldn't have let a shot Judah run them anywhere near to a very close fight. He just falls short once he gets anywhere near the top level. Like many fighters do, once they're facing like top 5 in the division then they look out of their depth, Broner being another one of them. It is what it is.

Still gorgeous though.
                Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                truth is lucas was never anywhere near as good as ppl claimed. hes a good fighter. but hes just as good as most of the other contentders and champions at 140. the only one i think that was superior to the rest was bradley when he was there. now ppl will hype postol...whos also just a decent guy.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                  Mattysee is a good fighter but seems to come up short for that title. Not sure what happened but he must have been seriuosly hurt in the 10th not to get up.

But the Machine is just a nickname I see nothing wrong with fans getting excited when a fighter is knocking everyone out. I don't even care if fans mock him. But to call him an hype job is stupidity to me. He's beaten several top ten fighters. The man isn't a real machine he does feel pain and he does get hurt.

I'm not sure if he'll be able to get another title shot however or if he even has the will to climb the ranks again.
                  Come on man, many of those calling him a hype job for losing to the #1 ranked guy are the same that jerked off to Gift beating a #77 ranked lightweight... its boxingscene, what do you expect? Most posters here were living in their dads nutsack by the time some of us actually put on a pair of gloves and got our asses kicked for the first time.
                  Ironically the Machine is a nickname the media gave him (I think they confused it with Martin, his middle name) and one which Lucas was never actually comfortable with, as said many times during interviews. He kept saying he likes being called his name, Lucas.

Comment

I drank and ranted on periscope last night. He has a bad team, Postol fought the right fight. It sucks because he literally fought everybody, never ducked anybody, or fought Ronnie Seltzers, or way past it Paulies, or got the gift decisions against Herreras or Pedersons. Lucas represents everything right with boxing, and he got short changed for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                      This is why I was disappointed in his performance, even before he completely shut down from the 7th onward. Though he was having success in spots, there was just too much dirtiness and ineffectiveness. Yes, Postol had the length advantage and he was clinching, but Matts wasn't doing himself any favors once he did get on the inside with free hands. If he's to continue, he seriously needs to develop his in-fighting.
                      I hate how most fighters these days don't have any idea what to do in the clinch. Maybe it's because most refs don't allow it, but that's no excuse to not know what to do when the ref does allow it.

It's especially inexcusable when your style basically guarantees that you will end up in clinches like Matthysse's style does.

Comment

Working...
                      X