No announcement yet.

What do Matthysse fans think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    noway in hell was there anything clear about the alexander fight, this is what I mean about Matthyse fans smh
    Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Like 90% of people thought Lucas won that fight. There's no way Alexander won 6 rounds and that's what he needed to win because of the KD. It was a clear as day robbery and that is how it is generally considered.

read what this dude wrote in response. it is spot on.

judah fight was close. alexander was not. that was a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
      I disagree there and people seem to be running with this 'lack of motivation' for boxing, before the fight he was very motivated to prove a point, go on to possibly face Pacquaio. If anyone zapped his confidence it was Postol, once he saw he couldn't get within his range, once he saw that his punches continued to get smothered...it ate away at him, and no one has ever neutralized Matthysse in that manner.

What Matthysse needs is a new trainer, it's sickening that he can't get anything going from close quarters, since forever it's been rabbit punching or loading up on shots that aren't gonna land. Just find himself a new trainer, that's a good start. Looking at the weigh in, a move to 147 will also help him.
      This is why I was disappointed in his performance, even before he completely shut down from the 7th onward. Though he was having success in spots, there was just too much dirtiness and ineffectiveness. Yes, Postol had the length advantage and he was clinching, but Matts wasn't doing himself any favors once he did get on the inside with free hands. If he's to continue, he seriously needs to develop his in-fighting.

Comment

Matthysse is alright if you let him just do what he wants, but if a guy has a plan and the ability to mitigate him he is pretty much up a creek without a paddle.

That is not unique to him really, but he doesn't seem to have that iron will to overcome adversity to make the other guys plan fall apart because of his strength and power.

It is the old thing Matthysse has a lot of those things that are in flashing neon lights that are easy to see why he could be good. It is the things you can't really see that are the problem and those cracks in the foundation are generally bigger issues than the flashing lights can cover up long term.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          noway in hell was there anything clear about the alexander fight, this is what I mean about Matthyse fans smh
          Thats the argument I made.

I like Matthysse and wanted him to be great. Looks like a great guy who wasnt spoon fed titles like Broner.

But I always thought that the fact he never won the big one or came up short exposed a lack of either skill or confidence. Take Maidana, a man of lesser skills who nonetheless has mountains of confidence to not give up.

So, I just think the excuses for every loss hid the fact that he was not all that good or lacked grit and confidence to use his otherwordly power.

But the excuses will continue.

Comment

How hell do people think that the judah fight was a robbery? Do people even watch fights or do they just repeat what other stans say.

Comment

I'm a Matthysse fan, so I'll answer.
              What do I think?

1. Postol looked 30 pounds heavier than Lucas in the ring. Taller... longer reach... heavier. Tough mountain to climb. Reminded me of a smaller version of Chavez Jr.

2. The clinching and leaning on Matthysse was obnoxious and annoying as hell. The ref warned him about it, and to his credit.... he stopped doing that and began boxing more.

3. The savage (accidental) headbutt bothered the living hell out of Matthysse. Miracle no one was cut on that one. Changed the flow of the fight.

4. Credit where credit is due. Postol fought a hell of a fight, and showed a great chin, because he did get tagged a few times in the middle rounds.

5. It was surprising to see Matthysse not try to beat the count. Was not expecting that from Lucas.

6. I think Lucas is far from done. He's fought a couple of tough opponents the last two times out (for different reasons)... but he's still got his power and his underrated boxing skills. He'll be back.

Comment

MAttyse is a very good fighter and a live dog to anyone. Style make fights and Postol really impressed me a lot they way he fought. Props to him.

Comment

I think it's time to retire.

Lucas is very limited against certain styles. he looked really bad last night.

Comment

I'm gonna give my personal opinion on Lucas Matthysse -

Lucas Matthysse is this era's Arturo Gatti. He was never gonna be elite no matter how hard the fanboys hyped him up. He was never gonna be a bum no matter how much the haters discredit him. But I am a fan of his for life because this mother****er made it worthwhile staying up every single ****ing night until 7 AM just to watch him fight. He's limited but he was pure action. The wars have finally caught up, his desire doesn't seem to be there and Postol was too good on the night. I feel this generation will be retiring early. Bradley, Garcia, Provodnikov, Khan, Matthysse...all have taken an unhealthy amount of punishment.

Lucas should retire now. If the desire isn't there, then there's no point continuing to fight in matches of a lesser scale. As I mentioned before, Matthysse is one of the very few fighters who made my nights. He made staying up until 7AM every Saturday night/Sunday morning worth it.

Comment

Great action fighter but has proven to be very limited.. I have called him one dimensional for many years..

I wish i could find the threads where idiots tried to debate me about him being one dimensional..

I still think he is world class, but his best days are behind him... The wars have taken a toll and i though he looked shot vs molina.. The chin and explosiveness is slowly going downhill..
                      lucas is 33 so its understandable..

Still one of my favorite fighters to watch but obviously the guy is past prime now..

Would still love to see lucas-broner

Comment

Working...
                      X