Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were one of the guys who though Lucas was World Class level...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    just shh for a second and listen. i can make you more knowledgable if you listen:

you can make all the mistakes in the world and still be a world class fighter if you beat or are competitive with other world class fighters. muhammad ali made every mistake in the book. fought with both hands low, pulled straight back when he was in range, rowed the jab, hung out on the ropes.

he also beat virtually every top HW from the 60's and 70's.

if you spend the last 5 years as a contender for the 140 lb title, winning a shot even at the lineal championship, you are world class. matthysse did that.\

how is the guy who fights a competitive fight with the lineal champion [garcia] not world class? danny showed a heck of a chin and a ton of skill to beat lucas on that night. you saw what that kind of gas can do to a guy like peterson, alexander.
    so the moral of the story is this: u think hes a world class fighter, and I don't... thanks for the education! now andre ward is a world class boxer...

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Do you remember NSB after Dallas got KTFO? I mean its Mike ****ing Dallas, Jr and some in NSB acted like he just beat an 89-0 Chavez Sr.
      Or what about the feared and ducked Ajose, who was the most devastating avoided fighter of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        just shh for a second and listen. i can make you more knowledgable if you listen:

you can make all the mistakes in the world and still be a world class fighter if you beat or are competitive with other world class fighters. muhammad ali made every mistake in the book. fought with both hands low, pulled straight back when he was in range, rowed the jab, hung out on the ropes.

he also beat virtually every top HW from the 60's and 70's.

if you spend the last 5 years as a contender for the 140 lb title, winning a shot even at the lineal championship, you are world class. matthysse did that.\

how is the guy who fights a competitive fight with the lineal champion [garcia] not world class? danny showed a heck of a chin and a ton of skill to beat lucas on that night. you saw what that kind of gas can do to a guy like peterson, alexander.
        You're comparing Lucas to Ali (wtf lol)... When the comparison you should be making is Lucas and Ernie Shavers. A guy with huge KO power who is know for precisely that and for giving Ali and Holmes (world class guys) tough fights but never being able to get it done... Ken Norton is his Lamont Peterson.

Comment

I think people are upset and disappointed, so they're taking their anger out on Lucas by saying he quit and he's overhyped. I think he's still world class but he's obviously hit a ceiling of shorts. Maybe he needs a change up in team.

Comment

so the moral of the story is this: u think hes a world class fighter, and I don't... thanks for the education! now andre ward is a world class boxer...
            I can't help but to think all these ridiculous comments are actually aimed at Matthysse's obnoxious fans. Debating whether or not he's an A class fighter is reasonable, questioning if he's a world class is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post

you can think what you'd like. that;s your prerogative. that doesn't mean you've got an opinion that others should adopt. the opinion that lucas matthysse, a contender for the last 5 years with significant wins in the top 5 and 10, isn't world class, is flat out wrong!

khan and danny were #1 and #2 when they fought at 140. danny won, and established lineage [the guy who beat the guy, or the guy who boxes for [and beats] a vacant title against the other top contender.]

danny knocked him out, and became lineal champion. lucas knocked out a top contender in lamont peterson, and earned a shot at danny's lineage. vegas, the best sportshandicapping city of all time, had lucas as a 2-3 to 1 favorite against danny.

the fight was close, but danny was the consensus winner.

how is a guy who earns his shot to fight hte best fighter at the weight on the planet not world class? on what planet does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                Or what about the feared and ducked Ajose, who was the most devastating avoided fighter of all time?
                I mean it was crazy. I blame Schaeffer in part because he called him the next Manny, which was utterly ******ed. SO much for so little.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                  I can't help but to think all these ridiculous comments are actually aimed at Matthysse's obnoxious fans. Debating whether or not he's an A class fighter is reasonable, questioning if he's a world class is silly.
                  How do you define world class as it relates to boxing?

Comment

You win some, you lose some. Matthysse is world class but so is Postol. Matthysse was undeniably world class a couple of years ago where he was clearly cemented as the #2 at 140. He is 33 so probably passed his physical prime however he is in my opinion still a top 5 guy at worst. I only see Postol, Crawford beating him. Amir Imam is also very tough but styles make fights so I can see him beating guys like Broner who stylistically favour Lucas' aggressive boxer puncher style as he has similar physical dimensions. Crawford, Postol and Crawford are all big with big reaches and that's why I Believe they're the only guys that can beat Lucas.

He's beaten 5 world champions and I also had him beating Alexander and Judah so 7 world champions. He should have won the IBF title as he beat Lamont and also the WBO as he and Ruslan were #1 and #2 however Crawford got a shot vs bloody Dulorme.
                    Last edited by SalimShady1212; 10-05-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                      you can think what you'd like. that;s your prerogative. that doesn't mean you've got an opinion that others should adopt. the opinion that lucas matthysse, a contender for the last 5 years with significant wins in the top 5 and 10, isn't world class, is flat out wrong!

khan and danny were #1 and #2 when they fought at 140. danny won, and established lineage [the guy who beat the guy, or the guy who boxes for [and beats] a vacant title against the other top contender.]

danny knocked him out, and became lineal champion. lucas knocked out a top contender in lamont peterson, and earned a shot at danny's lineage. vegas, the best sportshandicapping city of all time, had lucas as a 2-3 to 1 favorite against danny.

the fight was close, but danny was the consensus winner.

how is a guy who earns his shot to fight hte best fighter at the weight on the planet not world class? on what planet does that make sense?
                      title shots are not always based on one's wins/losses and skill, but on who is one's promoter/manager and what their relationship is with a particular sanctioning body.

so matthysse could not be world class and get the #1 or #2 spot in a sanctioning body ranking.

You guys are arguing over semantics. "World class" can mean a lot of things. If it means top tier boxer, I would argue Matthysse isn't based on his losses and his ability that he has shown in the ring.

If he can KO you he is dominant, if he doesn't get a KO he is 3-4-1(nc), all losses against top tier fighters.

If world class means he was able to stay in the top of the rankings then yes he is world class, with the caveat that rankings are based on a lot of things.
                      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-05-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X