Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Years: The Thrilla in Manilla

Have a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...frazier-boxing

Very good article on a very good fight. It's still brutal, with few fights since matching that intensity, that heart and that much ferociousness. I'll give it a watch tonight, with a hint of sadness. The two great men beat each other to such an extent, they almost ended one another.

Wow, 40 years.

This is definitely one of the 5 or so best fights I've ever seen. It had everything you could ask for. Neither man was better than the other. One just had a corner that pulled him out before one or both died in the 15th.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Wow, 40 years.

This is definitely one of the 5 or so best fights I've ever seen. It had everything you could ask for. Neither man was better than the other. One just had a corner that pulled him out before one or both died in the 15th.
      Yep, definitely a top 10 fight for me, possibly the best.

But I disagree, by the 11th round, it was clear Ali was the better of the two, by the 13th he was in complete control and Frazier was almost beaten to the ground and in the 14th Frazier almost died. Ali was better that night and had that much more left in his tank.

I honestly believe the fight could have been stopped around the 10th. Frazier didn't have anything left, by the end of the 14th, Frazier was practically blind. It's so sad seeing him go out like that.

Comment

Good read. Thanks for posting.

What a fight. One of my all time favourites for sure.

Comment

Two of the greatest in an unsurpassable performance. This fight displayed what boxing is truly about. Heart!

Comment

I always look back at the Thrilla and wish it hadn't been that way. Yes I enjoy it and I'm sure those who saw it live enjoyed it more but it took years off both men's careers and soured their relationship to an almost complete stop.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              I always look back at the Thrilla and wish it hadn't been that way. Yes I enjoy it and I'm sure those who saw it live enjoyed it more but it took years off both men's careers and soured their relationship to an almost complete stop.
              And that is why I don't like trilogies, especially of they're brutal. I did not care for Pacquia vs Marquez III, not looking forward for Martinez vs Salido III, It's just take too much out of fighters... But the thriller in manila was epic!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                And that is why I don't like trilogies, especially of they're brutal. I did not care for Pacquia vs Marquez III, not looking forward for Martinez vs Salido III, It's just take too much out of fighters... But the thriller in manila was epic!
                It's for those very reasons that I do like trilogies lol Pac/JMM IV was one of the best, most brutal short fights in years. One of my faves ever. But it's true, too much is taken away from the fighters involved, especially when they are so evenly matched.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  It's for those very reasons that I do like trilogies lol Pac/JMM IV was one of the best, most brutal short fights in years. One of my faves ever. But it's true, too much is taken away from the fighters involved, especially when they are so evenly matched.

there was never a 4th fight, silly rabbit

Comment

Can't believe its been 40yrs. What a classic

Shame how it ended.

Comment

Working...
                    X