No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rousey on Mayweather PPV Numbers: 'Fans Aren't Dumb'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
    You can't count the co-main event because that card was sold as the Weidman-Silva rematch. She certainly contributed to the buys, i'm sure, but you can't credit her unless she's a headliner.

Her numbers are increasing for now, but for how long?

Beating up overmatched opponents in under minute isn't exactly going to entice people to continue buying her PPV's. Eventually her PPV numbers will start to fall as well and fans will want to see her get challenged.

The Cyborg fight is out there for her to get over the 1M PPV buy mark. Will she take it?
    I wasn't referring to her co-mains, but I included all her ppv's in sequential order. All her fights are considered one-sided going in, with her opponents virtually unrecognized. That said her popularity is growing in a way similar to Serena Williams. People don't care if it's one-sided, it's a spectacle they want to see - a social event. Her last fight was considered the least competitive and was in Brazil to boot, limiting media.

Many of Floyd's more recent ppv's were the same way - Guerrero, Ortiz, Maidana, to an extent even Berto. More about the social event than the competition.

They'll do Cyborg/Rousey for UFC 200 next June/July. But she's got atleast 2 movies coming out before that and more beyond. She's an elite level athlete, in addition to a growing Hollywood celebrity.

Comment

Fans might not be dumb but clearly you are.

Does anyone think they really care it sold 500k and that they were expecting huge numbers for ****ing Berto? They made a gazillion dollars against Pacquiao, so having a smaller ppv with Berto doesn't even matter to them with the amount of money they are swimming in. They aren't stupid, they knew the Berto fight was going to do way less, but they clearly didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post
        The funny thing is people actually believe this.

There's a reason that men and women don't fight each other professionally. And there's a reason why society frowns upon men hitting women.

You'll never see them fight, because nobody in their right mind actually wants to watch a woman get beaten bloody for sport. It's all talk, and it should stay that way.
        People believe it because it is believable.

Rousey can fight. No doubt about it. If Mayweather were skilled in MMA, then of course Rousey wouldn't stand a chance.

But she can fight. Don't matter if she's a woman or a man. And she has the tools to beat world class boxers. Sorry but Floyd has never shown the tools in the ring that suggest he would know how to deal with Judo. Not just the judo, but the wrestling, the kicks.

We all know if they fought Rousey would keep it very simple and shoot low and take Floyd on the ground where he's clueless. It'd be just like the James Toney vs Couture match.

It may sting a little that Ronda is a woman and all who can beat Floyd, but people can always take comfort knowing if Floyd dedicated himself to MMA techniques Ronda wouldn't be bullying him around in the media.

Comment

isnt rousey fighting a fighter who just got into mma like 2 years ago and has no amateur fights and only like 7 or 8 pro fights? just another example of bs who hasnt beat a fighter with a winning record? i mean give me a dam break with this crap

Comment

Rhonda needs to get over him already

Comment

Originally posted by TMNTForever View Post
              But she can fight. Don't matter if she's a woman or a man.
              Of course not, so why not gender integrate every sport? After all men and women are the same, so what would be the problem?

I hope society never starts thinking like you. Again, I'm not interested in watching Floyd beat up another woman - except this time for money on national television. Maybe you are, and that's on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                isnt rousey fighting a fighter who just got into mma like 2 years ago and has no amateur fights and only like 7 or 8 pro fights? just another example of bs who hasnt beat a fighter with a winning record? i mean give me a dam break with this crap
                She an Olympian just like Floyd. She grew up training in the art of efficiently grabbing people without sustaining damage in order to throw them in the air so they land spine first on the cement.

As great a boxer Floyd is, does he even know how to fall? Look at what happened to B-Hop?

And look at Floyd's stance. Its excellent for a boxer. It's strong, he has relatively long legs, and his lead foot is comfortably in front of him. It can be seen as his first line of defense before his punches.

But, his stance makes Rousey's work all the more easy. It would be so freaking easy for Rousey to grab his ankle and put Floyd on his back that it is even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                  You sound upset, the interviewer asked her about Floyd, she didn't bring it up voluntarily. I don't even like Rousey that much, but people here are actually validating the Rousey vs Mayweather rivalry by getting upset over this which is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post
                    Of course not, so why not gender integrate every sport? After all men and women are the same, so what would be the problem?

I hope society never starts thinking like you. Again, I'm not interested in watching Floyd beat up another woman - except this time for money on national television. Maybe you are, and that's on you.
                    Yes. We all know the differences between males and females. Rousey could be the greatest female boxer on earth and Floyd would demolish her.

But being a female doesn't change the fact that she straight up has the tools and training to give Boxers like Mayweather or Pacquiao a thorough ass whooping.

Look at it this way. Mayweather would be bringing a knife to a gun fight. Gender doesn't matter at the point.

And BTW, this fight would never happen on TV. Nobody would ever be crazy enough to finance an event where a woman like Rousey whoops a champion like Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                      Ronda does not need Floyd to boost her popularity. her last PPV hit over 1 million buys on her name alone as she was the only main event and it was in Brazil to boot. Her next PPV will also surpass 1 million buys and will probably set records for attendance in Australia. And that card will he headlined by TWO women's matches.

Did anyone ever consider that UFC would be a bigger draw, both live and on PPV than boxing? And how would people have freaked out if they had been told that not only would UFC overshadow boxing but that they would do it with FEMALE fighting stars?

Let's see Al Hayman top that!
                      Well you suck as a boxing fan neway...take that ish over to tje MMA forums

Comment

Working...
                      X