Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG has a crap resume? What great wins did past MWs have by their 33rd fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    I know you don't get consistency or standards. It's simple, dumb****: if you're unwilling to say Calzaghe's best win had a worse than crap resume, you're disqualified from saying GGG's is crap.
    Kessler did have a worse resume in 2006.

What's your point?

I don't think Calzaghe or Kessler in 2006 are good examples of good resumes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      The Golovkin hype reminds me almost exactly of the Paul Williams hype. I think that's why I have such a vested interest in it. I've seen it before.

Williams was a guy who claimed to have 3 divisions frozen in fear but then he started turning into a complete diva, demanding catchweights and whatnot.

The only difference is that Williams actually had proven himself against top level fighters.

Kellerman, Dirk...not Paul

it was HBO's promo hype that drove that type of scrutiny from bias-less fight fan...Williams never said that

same with the GGG hype which is almost 100% HBO generated

as for Paul Williams, which notable WW actually had the balls to step up to him at his peak?

only one guy: Antonio Margarito

and that ****er wanted to fight everyone

Paul didn't get his competition until he moved back up to a weight class he was already messing with

GGG doesn't have a Margarito at MW..until he moves up, it's not really his fault

Comment

• Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        Kellerman, Dirk...not Paul

it was HBO's promo hype that drove that type of scrutiny from bias-less fight fan...Williams never said that

same with the GGG hype which is almost 100% HBO generated

as for Paul Williams, which notable WW actually had the balls to step up to him at his peak?

only one guy: Antonio Margarito

and that ****er wanted to fight everyone

Paul didn't get his competition until he moved back up to a weight class he was already messing with

GGG doesn't have a Margarito at MW..until he moves up, it's not really his fault
        It wasn't just Kellerman. It was the noise from the Williams camp and it was a LOT of people on the internet too. Williams was the biggest online hypejob I'd ever seen at the time. People talking crazy that Williams could beat guys at 168 just because he was tall

Williams said he would fight at 3 weights and to his credit, he did. Unlike Golovkin who has yet to follow through on that promise.

But Williams did get very diva-ish. He demanded that Martinez fight him at 160 in the first fight and then when he got bashed around, he made the rematch down at 157 or something. Familiar to Golovkin's sudden request of 164 for Ward.

Again the difference being that Williams actually went through with those fights.

Comment

It wasn't just Kellerman. It was the noise from the Williams camp and it was a LOT of people on the internet too. Williams was the biggest online hypejob I'd ever seen at the time. People talking crazy that Williams could beat guys at 168 just because he was tall

Williams said he would fight at 3 weights and to his credit, he did. Unlike Golovkin who has yet to follow through on that promise.

But Williams did get very diva-ish. He demanded that Martinez fight him at 160 in the first fight and then when he got bashed around, he made the rematch down at 157 or something. Familiar to Golovkin's sudden request of 164 for Ward.

Again the difference being that Williams actually went through with those fights.
          Froch is retired...Chavez Jr is worthless...who else is at 168 that would validate him?

Ward? so we're hinging everything on Ward..fair enough...noone is willing to fight him at 160 and when he moves up, then we'll see

Comment

Froch is retired...Chavez Jr is worthless...who else is at 168 that would validate him?

Ward? so we're hinging everything on Ward..fair enough...noone is willing to fight him at 160 and when he moves up, then we'll see
            Degale, Dirrell brothers, Jack etc

There's some decent fights up there aswell as obviously Ward. Better than the ones at 160 atleast.

But I'm ok with him staying at 160 for Canelo but then it's got to be 168 after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Kessler did have a worse resume in 2006.

What's your point?

I don't think Calzaghe or Kessler in 2006 are good examples of good resumes.
              Then you're using very lofty standards. Calzaghe was p4p #5 after Kessler, and got to #2, likely first ballot HOF without a "good resume", his best win having a "crap resume" worse than GGGs. Then it's hard to see how Ward has a "good" resume, if that's his 2nd best win (coming off a one sided loss and layoff), and 3rd best win some so so guy like Abraham or Bika.

Comment

it goes both ways, bud...hell, i remember Pavlik was getting the same kind of hate...so did Jermaine Taylor...there are racist scum on both sides

as for Punisher, i think people HERE only hated on Williams because of Burner...hell, even Floyd fans hated on Burner because dared to say Williams would beat Floyd's ass

overall, from the casuals and die-hards that i knew in real life, they liked Paul
                Haha burner. Williams got it bad because he managed to be a threat to three pretty big fanbases - Floyd, Cotto and Margarito. Those rapid fans hated on Williams hard because they didn't want their guy to fight him, besides Margarito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                  You're joking right?

He was asking for Martinez since 2012 and never got the fight. After the Cahvez fight, GGG was asking for it but Martinez chose to fight Murray instead (who he ended up losing to btw but got a gift decision).

Quillen vacated a title to avoid Koborov ffs. You want me to believe he wanted GGG during his reign.

Cotto's an obvious duck.

Felix Sturm clearly didn't want him.

Barker didn't want him

He already beat Geale (who was champ in 2013).

Mundine was supposed to fight GGG after a purse bid in 2010 for a title and he backed out.
                  It's 2015 dude. Get with the times. That excuse is expired.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                    Then you're using very lofty standards. Calzaghe was p4p #5 after Kessler, and got to #2, likely first ballot HOF without a "good resume", his best win having a "crap resume" worse than GGGs. Then it's hard to see how Ward has a "good" resume, if that's his 2nd best win (coming off a one sided loss and layoff), and 3rd best win some so so guy like Abraham or Bika.
                    I'm not at all.

Golvokins resume now is about as good as Calzaghe's when they put him Top 5 P4P and Kessler's in 2006 I.e not very good at all.

Ward's resume now is better than all 3 respectively.

Comment

The Golovkin hype reminds me almost exactly of the Paul Williams hype. I think that's why I have such a vested interest in it. I've seen it before.

Williams was a guy who claimed to have 3 divisions frozen in fear but then he started turning into a complete diva, demanding catchweights and whatnot.

The only difference is that Williams actually had proven himself against top level fighters.
                      Another difference is that Golovkin was a phenomenal amateur and had a great amateur career and Olympic medalist. He's had fans for a long time, people had been waiting on him to get out of Germany and come to the states, which he finally did in 2012. Williams just kinda popped out of no where. He also lost to Quintana at 147 which exposed his limitations a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X