No announcement yet.

1998 De la Hoya vs 2008 Floyd and Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
    No but there's always limits. Not saying Pacquiao will auto (T)KO him but he has the tools to do so. Corner could throw in towel, Pacquiao can Margarito him, or Oscar simply gets overwhlemed, etc.
    pac can't do that to prime oscar.

maybe his style can decision oscar but ko/tko prime oscar? nah

if its a ko/tko i'll bet oscar is the one who ko/tko pac.

Comment

How is this a single option poll smh. There are two things being decided on.

Comment

Correct the poll for multiple choices Oscar beats we both hell look at how a,past his prime Oscar did against a prime Floyd ..A younger one wins by majority decision ..

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
          @ 147 he loses a wide decision to both, felt like Floyd was too heavy when they fought, too flat footed and his footwork wasn't the same that night, Floyd moved up too fast from 140 to 154 and 154 was too much for him at the time and it showed during the fight, yet still he won clearly, @ 147 it would be a totally different fight.

Dela Hoya at that time was a one handed fighter, he never had a good lead or counter right hand, which is an essential weapon against a southpaw, it can be competitive but Pacquiao's southpaw style, awkwardness and speed would give him a lot of problems, I don't see a stoppage cuz Dela Hoya won't be drained.
          Nope take your rose tinted glasses off. Floyd did fight slightly flat footed, but I can guarantee you that had more to do with tactics then the weight having that much of an effect on him. He fought cautiously and it was the first time in his career that he was in with such a devastating puncher as Oscar, especially with the left hook. Floyd is great, but there were some unknowns for him going into this fight and he was in with by far the best fighter he had fought up to that point. His uncle and in particular Floyd Snr were well aware of Oscar's strengths, and they were not about to have Floyd run into a big left hook by leaping in. I felt he used bits of what worked well for Quartey and Mosley, but Quartey in particular, just executed better. I remember thinking before the fight that Floyd would run into something eventually, because of the way he had fought his last few fights, but after watching the first two rounds it was obvious it was never going to happen, he fought in a way that reduced those chances to nearly zero and he was even willing to give rounds away to workrate to ensure he didn't get caught.

In terms of the topic - I think Oscar and Floyd at 147 with Oscar in his prime is a close fight. Too close to call, its 50-50 for me. Oscar was semi-retired and over the hill when he fought Floyd. I think a prime Oscar most likely knocks Pacquiao out. I'm not a particularly big Oscar fan, in fact I hated him after he beat Chavez, but I know what a great fighter he was at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
            How is this a single option poll smh. There are two things being decided on.
            Yea I know. Idk how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              pac can't do that to prime oscar.

maybe his style can decision oscar but ko/tko prime oscar? nah

if its a ko/tko i'll bet oscar is the one who ko/tko pac.
              Maybe. I've always questioned DLH's heart. I don't think DLH being overwhelmed in hte late rounds is entirely out of the possibility though depending on how many times Manny throws. Though I do think Oscar has a better chance to KO Pacquiao than the other way around. Just saying it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                So in order to win Oscar would basically have to be 25 with a natural size advantage while Floyd and Pacquiao would be 31 and 30 respectively while being naturally smaller. Yeah under those circumstances I believe Oscar would have a great chance at beating both. But again styles make fights and Oscar never really had a great right hand counter punch which has always been Manny's kryptonite. Oscar in his younger days was more of a boxer as well so I think his style would have suited Floyd moreso. I'd still favor Floyd and Manny to beat him but it wouldn't be easy for either guy.
                No one ever said he had to be 25. I'm talking about these three fighters in the peak of their career. 29 year-old Oscar would still be a close call. If we are going with all guys at the same age of 25, then Oscar almost definitely wins
                Last edited by creekrat77; 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

You did not make it multiple choice..

Comment

and why 98 Oscar when he was 25??? against a 31 year old Mayweather and 29 Year old Manny?

Comment

Oscar loses to both. No fighter is going to beat Mayweather and Pacquiao by relying on their left hand. Oscar never had much of a right hand.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are better fighters than Oscar. Rearranging dates and rewriting history isn't going to change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X