No announcement yet.

August 14th 2010 Gennady Golovkin vs Milton Nunez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 14th 2010 Gennady Golovkin vs Milton Nunez

On August 14, 2010 at Arena Roberto Duran in Panama City, Panama, Gennady Golovkin, from Karaganda, Kazakhstan, fought Milton Nunez, from Barranquilla, Colombia, for the interim WBA World middleweight title. Golovkin was undefeated at 18-0 coming in. Nunez was 21-1-1. The fight was scheduled for 12 rounds.

I will post the video shortly.

Golovkin won via KO 58 seconds into RD 1

Comment

Comment

Milton Nunez is currently the #297 MW in the world according to BoxRec.
        http://boxrec.com/boxer/358405

Comment

The most remarkable thing about this fight was that Golovkin was in the middle of arbitration with Universum. Rather than sitout and cry like many fighters do today, he formed his own promotional company and got sponsorships to setup the fight in Panama.

Max Herrmann:
          In parallel with the trial ran together the threads of the sporting career planning with me. The financing of the next battles was the main problem. Everything aimed at a world title chance against the then WBA world champion Felix Sturm. In order not to lose its status as mandatory challenger storm, Max sat with the WBA -Führung in Panama in connection. After tough negotiations, the World Association Gennadys accepted separation from the powerful promoter Universum and support us in organizing the next fights.

We knew that Felix Sturm would never rise against Gennady voluntarily in the ring. It went so far that Felix Sturm is said to have signed an affidavit that he will not fight against Gennady. At the latest at this point we realized that storm seriously was afraid and would really do anything to us to go out of the way.

With Felix Storm appointment as WBA -Superchampion fighting Gennady moved into the distant future. Fortunately, he was also given the opportunity to the interim title of WBA boxing. We wanted to organize a fight in Australia against Anthony Mundine, but could we not agree with the Australians, so that the fight in the Purse Bid was auctioned. Although we won the auction, but Mundine said the fight off anyway. Negotiations with other boxers from the rankings went bad. No matter whom we contacted, it rained cancellations. Only Milton Nunez from Colombia signed a fight contract for August 14, 2010 in the Arena Roberto Duran in Panama City.

In parallel to the negotiations, we were looking desperately for a sponsor who funded the fight against Nunez. After the Olympic Games Gennady was offered a perspective only abroad, now just help came from his native Kazakhstan. The TAK Sports Group, which also supports the professional cyclist Alexander Vinokourov, organized a sponsorship deal that allowed the awaited world title fight. Without this help, our path would have been finished so close to our goal.

We flew to Panama City at the time, in a country where we've never been. I must say that I have presented it to me much worse. Upon arrival we all quickly felt very comfortable. The Promoter, Mr. Espino, and the people of the WBA have received us very well and given a good feeling. The biggest problem was to ensure the live broadcast of the show from Panama City to Russia and Kazakhstan.

The signal had two satellite to Kazakhstan are conducted, which repeatedly led to technical difficulties. After many phone calls and various meetings with the TV station on site we were able to solve the problem at the last minute and secure the transmission to Europe, Russia and Kazakhstan. That was our priority number one, in order not to lose face in front of our sponsor.

I have visited many boxing events in Germany, but what we have seen in the Roberto Duran Arena, was something new and very special for us all. My first impression was that we moved into a gladiatorial arena. The hall was made round and especially for those rallies. One noticed immediately the unique atmosphere and the enthusiasm of the people for this sport. It was phenomenal. When we were in the cab and Gennady (Battle Name: GGG) was preparing for the fight, we heard through the walls, as the audience cheered his stars in the arena. I had the feeling that the walls shook, and got goose bumps.

Then I looked at Gennady, who was as loose as ever and fully focused warmed for his fight. In that moment I knew, GGG will end this fight quickly and secure the championship belt. So it was, after only 58 seconds of the fight was over. Gennady has really not much time left and implemented what he had for months in Big Bear, California training with trainer Abel Sanchez. It was the first success of our team after the separation of the universe and a super performance of Gennady.

http://www.boxen-heute.de/artikel/62...perboxers.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
            Milton Nunez is currently the #297 MW in the world according to BoxRec.
            http://boxrec.com/boxer/358405
            It was 5 years ago and it was in Roberto Duran Arena.

Comment

And why do we care about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                The most remarkable thing about this fight was that Golovkin was in the middle of arbitration with Universum. Rather than sitout and cry like many fighters do today, he formed his own promotional company and got sponsorships to setup the fight in Panama.

Max Herrmann:
                In parallel with the trial ran together the threads of the sporting career planning with me. The financing of the next battles was the main problem. Everything aimed at a world title chance against the then WBA world champion Felix Sturm. In order not to lose its status as mandatory challenger storm, Max sat with the WBA -Führung in Panama in connection. After tough negotiations, the World Association Gennadys accepted separation from the powerful promoter Universum and support us in organizing the next fights.

We knew that Felix Sturm would never rise against Gennady voluntarily in the ring. It went so far that Felix Sturm is said to have signed an affidavit that he will not fight against Gennady. At the latest at this point we realized that storm seriously was afraid and would really do anything to us to go out of the way.

With Felix Storm appointment as WBA -Superchampion fighting Gennady moved into the distant future. Fortunately, he was also given the opportunity to the interim title of WBA boxing. We wanted to organize a fight in Australia against Anthony Mundine, but could we not agree with the Australians, so that the fight in the Purse Bid was auctioned. Although we won the auction, but Mundine said the fight off anyway. Negotiations with other boxers from the rankings went bad. No matter whom we contacted, it rained cancellations. Only Milton Nunez from Colombia signed a fight contract for August 14, 2010 in the Arena Roberto Duran in Panama City.

In parallel to the negotiations, we were looking desperately for a sponsor who funded the fight against Nunez. After the Olympic Games Gennady was offered a perspective only abroad, now just help came from his native Kazakhstan. The TAK Sports Group, which also supports the professional cyclist Alexander Vinokourov, organized a sponsorship deal that allowed the awaited world title fight. Without this help, our path would have been finished so close to our goal.

We flew to Panama City at the time, in a country where we've never been. I must say that I have presented it to me much worse. Upon arrival we all quickly felt very comfortable. The Promoter, Mr. Espino, and the people of the WBA have received us very well and given a good feeling. The biggest problem was to ensure the live broadcast of the show from Panama City to Russia and Kazakhstan.

The signal had two satellite to Kazakhstan are conducted, which repeatedly led to technical difficulties. After many phone calls and various meetings with the TV station on site we were able to solve the problem at the last minute and secure the transmission to Europe, Russia and Kazakhstan. That was our priority number one, in order not to lose face in front of our sponsor.

I have visited many boxing events in Germany, but what we have seen in the Roberto Duran Arena, was something new and very special for us all. My first impression was that we moved into a gladiatorial arena. The hall was made round and especially for those rallies. One noticed immediately the unique atmosphere and the enthusiasm of the people for this sport. It was phenomenal. When we were in the cab and Gennady (Battle Name: GGG) was preparing for the fight, we heard through the walls, as the audience cheered his stars in the arena. I had the feeling that the walls shook, and got goose bumps.

Then I looked at Gennady, who was as loose as ever and fully focused warmed for his fight. In that moment I knew, GGG will end this fight quickly and secure the championship belt. So it was, after only 58 seconds of the fight was over. Gennady has really not much time left and implemented what he had for months in Big Bear, California training with trainer Abel Sanchez. It was the first success of our team after the separation of the universe and a super performance of Gennady.

http://www.boxen-heute.de/artikel/62...perboxers.html
                Wow. That story is absolutely inspiring. I am literally holding back tears right now.

Golovkin is more then just a fighter. He is a hero and an icon.

I don't think it would be inaccurate to rate Golovkin above Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  And why do we care about this?
                  Non Stop Boxing is a forum dedicated to boxing. Gennady Golovkin is a boxer. Milton Nunez is a boxer. They had a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                    Non Stop Boxing is a forum dedicated to boxing. Gennady Golovkin is a boxer. Milton Nunez is a boxer. They had a fight.
                    Ok. Now tell me why do we care about this fight and what's the significance of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X