Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Gennady Golovkin Fear Greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    You haven't heard?

Apparently, a fight with Lemieux is bigger for the sport of boxing then a Ward fight.

Yeah.

It's gotten that bad.
    There are a few idiots that might actually say stuff like that here but this is NSB, a place full of idiots. Anyone with a brain would agree beating Ward is quite obviously much bigger than beating Lemieux. A couple idiots or more likely trolls could disagree but even then surely they know that's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
      what do you want me to say, that golovkin isn't as good as mayweather? because that is obvious to everyone and if that's the point you're trying to prove then you might as well save your breath and go do something else. mayweather also had more incentives to fight at 154 lbs than golovkin currently has to fight at 168 lbs, for the record
      Agreed that Mayweather > GGG and that Mayweather/ODLH, Mayweather/Cotto and Mayweather/Canelo were much bigger than GGG/Ward is. Even if you figure the relative size of those fights compared to their alternative options, it would clearly indicate that making the move up for Mayweather made a lot more fiscal sense. This isn't to suggest that GGG/Ward doesn't make any fiscal sense nor that they should let that derail the fight.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
        All I want to hear is "Ward is a risky fight, if we lose it would set back our progress tremendously and possibly take big money fights against Mayweather, Canelo and Cotto off the table. Therefore, we would prefer to make as much money as we can at 160 before moving up."

I am perfectly fine with that response. But there is no logical reason in the world to not jump at the opportunity to become the #1 p4p fighter in the sport of boxing when you have that chance and you believe you can do it.
        That's what they were sort of saying that a year ago. The "financial sense" comments.

But then they flip-flopped, saying Golovkin agreed to the fight 3 times or whatever and Ward said no. Now there has to be a catchweight.

Stick to one story ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          That's what they were sort of saying that a year ago. The "financial sense" comments.

But then they flip-flopped, saying Golovkin agreed to the fight 3 times or whatever and Ward said no. Now there has to be a catchweight.

Stick to one story ffs.
          Maybe I'm slow but I'm not sure where the flip flop is. Golovkin was willing to fight and Ward was not, but for all we know they would have requested a catchweight at that time too if Ward had been wiling to fight. Team GGG didn't say they had indicated a willingness to take that fight at 168 with Ward (EDIT: could be wrong about this?)... but if they did that would be a 'flip flop'.
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            I just dont get why he needs a catchweight for Ward but not Froch or Chavez jr...makes 0 sense to me

because wards head isnt going to be in a stationary position for him to tee off on like chavez's and hes not old and past it like froch

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              GGG is already great. GGG fans know he is great and GGG haters will still hate him if he goes to 168 and knocks Ward out. He put a fair 50 50 offer on the table for Ward. He said he would split the money evenly with Ward and fight Ward at a weight limit of 164 which is exactly half way between 168 and 160. Does Ward fear greatness? GGG doesn't need to go to 168 to convince the vast majority of boxing fans he is a great fighter. All he needs to do is to continue knocking out the best middleweights who dare to fight him. If he beat Ward at 168 then you would ask why he doesn't go to 175 and fight Crusher. GGG is a middleweight and a smaller one at that. Let him stay at his proper weight and find a middleweight who can beat him if you can.
              I clearly label him the next pound for pound king in this thread and I'm a hater. Keep it mature.

I know he's great. And that's why I want to see him challenge Ward to become the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                If he wins he's the #1 pound for pound fighter in the sport of boxing. Who cares about his mandatory position at that stage?

He wouldn't need Canelo. He would BE the new Canelo. Froch would probably come out of retirement to challenge him in that case.
                he wouldn't be the new canelo, he'd be the new ward. no one wants to be the new ward. if he wants to be the new canelo then he has to beat canelo

Comment

he wouldn't be the new canelo, he'd be the new ward. no one wants to be the new ward. if he wants to be the new canelo then he has to beat canelo

Comment

if they were in fact the same weight then they would fight in the same division. ward could just as easily cut 8 lbs and fight golovkin at middleweight as golovkin could supposedly cut 8 lbs after fighting ward to return to mw and fight alvarez. but that's not how it works, is it? clearly the ~170 lbs that the two of them weigh on fight night is distributed differently. the fact of the matter is that there is a size imbalance and for that reason the fight can only happen when it is ready to happen, demanding otherwise is futile unless roc nation can somehow make golovkin an offer that he can't refuse or ward compromises on the weight issue in order to take some of the strain off of golovkin
                    Again, fair handed post.

As I said with Rigo's team asking for a CW against Loma, I can understand why K2 has brought it up in a fight with regards to Ward.

I just don't agree with it.

Yes, concessions will have to be made during negotiations between the two.

I don't feel a CW should be one of them.

People bringing up Dawson, well that was on him and his handlers. There is no boxing deity that is proclaiming Ward has to potentially decrease his in ring performance in an act of contrition because Dawson and his team bit off more then they could chew.

And I'm not one of the guys saying GGG is "scared" or "ducking".

I'm just enjoying seeing some of the GGG stans twist a little bit.

Hell, I like GGG. Quite a bit.

Comment

NEETsche's beating guys up in this thread

Comment

Working...
                      X