No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Gennady Golovkin Roadblocked Over Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
    The myth everyone from 154-168 is ducking Golovkin?
    That was always hyperbole from the promoter & trainer anyways, or else he would never fight at all. His record would be 0-0-0. It is accurate to say a number of high profile fighters & contenders/title holders have turned him down though, that much can't be denied (Cotto/Queen Diva, Martinez, Sturm, N'dam, Quillin, etc.). We all know he's had a hell of a time getting guys in his own weight class and in a couple of instances even guys in a weight class above him (chavez/froch).

This is a huge victory for Cotto stans though, as they can now for at least a day defect the criticism away from king catchweight cotto and fighting GEALE over GGG haha

Comment

• Originally posted by BrushMyHair! View Post
      Ban catchweights

168 or nothing.
      This right here. I'm a big fan of GGG but its pretty clear they don't want the Ward fight. And for good reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
        ahahah

The Hype: I will fight anyone from 154-175

The Truth: I will fight anyone from 160-164

LMFAO
        It's like when something catches your eye when out shopping, it claims to do all these cool things on the box so you buy it. When you get it home it's a piece of shit and you're pissed off that you were fooled. That's how the Golovkin fans feel right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          ... of course he will fight anyone of notice -- but he never told at what weight class he would fight them...

... and to this point, Ward isn't someone of notice -- he just fought a retired SMW bum at LHW... Ward must truly prove himself first, and only later ask for conditions...
          Anyone of notice like...Willie Monroe, Martin Murray, Rubio and Adama...yeah they are all worth notice than a win against Ward.

You and GGG better clutch ya'll pearls... The next time you logged on to GGG fan page could you let him know to put his skirt down his slip is showing..Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Catchweights are used to make fights between fighters of different size. Which these two are. If Ward's title werent on the line there'd really be very few issues in my eye. GGG is the draw, the attraction, the A-side yet he's the one going up in weight. I think that a catchweight is pretty reasonable, though 168 would be the ideal. If GGG were to go to 168 it'd be good for us the fans, but he would be giving away huge advantage to Ward.

As a wider point, Ward has been static in weight for his entire career. Making smaller guys come up and bigger guys come down. Yet he seems to get a pass because the Cotto and Mayweather fans are terrified to GGG fighting their heroes and see Ward as their saviour. GGG asking for catchweight isn't ideal but Ward should be subjected to the same scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by yousmeth View Post
              Before the 15 weight classes or whatever what old school weight class would the fight between these two be? I'm too lazy to google right noq.
              It would be at 160.

The SMW division has been around for over 30 years, with great fighters having fought in it.

I'm more of an original 8 guy myself, but some on here are acting like the division was specifically made for Ward or something.

Comment

Before the 15 weight classes or whatever what old school weight class would the fight between these two be? I'm too lazy to google right noq.
                LHW because it would be same day weigh in and both weigh 170s fight night.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  ... of course he will fight anyone of notice -- but he never told at what weight class he would fight them...

... and to this point, Ward isn't someone of notice -- he just fought a retired SMW bum at LHW... Ward must truly prove himself first, and only later ask for conditions...
                  That is rubbish !

When Team Golovkin gained market leverage by making the PR statement "Golovkin will fight anyone from 154-168"..... the inference was "ANYONE, at their weight".

And you know it.

If you are correct, and you know that is not the case..... then Golovkin misled the public by insinuating that anyone meant " ANYONE ".

Look, if you are happy with that as a Golovkin fan, then good for you.

If you are happy that Golovkin is willing to fight Froch/Chavez at 168, but completely unwilling to fight Ward at 168..... then Golovkins legacy is starting to take shape.

Golovkin is in desperate need of a career-defining win.

Currently, Gennady Golovkins defining moment, and career highlight..... is ducking Andre Ward.

Comment

17 now, it was 8..... but yea, light-heavyweight

Comment

• Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                      It's called MONEY. A PPV fight. Something a Ward fight would not bring to the table at this time. If a boxer is going to move from his division and put his career at risk he should be rewarded accordingly for it. No one is claiming any different. It is only Ward fans who think he brings a lot of money to the table. So much money that his last fight was a time buy on BET in front of a crowd where about half of the people got their tickets for free.

Ward brings nothing to the table at this point in time and he is the one who needs GGG and Kovalev, they do not need him.
                      GGG has headline PPVs when?

Comment

Working...
                      X