Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free boxing on regular television how in the world is that bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgu View Post
    The reason Al was banned from HBO is because he wanted his fighters getting paid huge amounts of money for mismatches. Ask what happened when those matches became real fights: Berto got exposed, Broner was exposed among many others. Then he had the audacity to make HBO pay in the millions for fights like Ward vs Rodriguez.
    Have you ever read that or is that what you are guessing?

What promoter/manager doesn't want their clients getting paid big money for easier work? Notice how upset Bob got when HBO suggested they will act a s"matchmaker" instead of the TR matchmakers making fights.

As for exposed, same could be said for Donaire or Juan Ma. Losing doesn't always mean you are exposed.

What would you do if you were AL? That is the part posters keep leaving off.

Would you fight back or would you just do it HBO's way?
    Last edited by The Big Dunn; 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      HBO banned Haymon and fired Kerry Davis, the guy at HBo that worked most closely with Al.
      Good riddance to Davis, he was way too close with Haymon and Schaefer.

And you left out a few details.

Ross Greenberg was pushed out at HBO in July 2011.

Ken Hershman was hired at HBO in October 2011.

SHO then hired Stephen Espinoza, the lead attorney for Golden Boy Promotions in November 2011.

Golden Boy and Haymon then began systematically moving fighters over to SHO, and using SHO as leverage in negotiations with HBO for fighters who hadn't yet been moved to SHO.

HBO didn't ban Golden Boy until March 2013, and Kerry Davis didn't leave until June of 2013.

Comment

pbc should just use the smallest rings possible and use 4 oz gloves so all there fights produce action. get mickey bey,jleon love,caleb truax,eric molina,willie nelson,miguez vasquez,luis collazo and rod salka on steroids as well and now we are talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
          Good riddance to Davis, he was way too close with Haymon and Schaefer.

And you left out a few details.

Ross Greenberg was pushed out at HBO in July 2011.

Ken Hershman was hired at HBO in October 2011.

SHO then hired Stephen Espinoza, the lead attorney for Golden Boy Promotions in November 2011.

Golden Boy and Haymon then began systematically moving fighters over to SHO, and using SHO as leverage in negotiations with HBO for fighters who hadn't yet been moved to SHO.

HBO didn't ban Golden Boy until March 2013, and Kerry Davis didn't leave until June of 2013.
          ok. those points are accurate. HBO responded to that by banning fighters that were signed to Al (except Rodriguez for the Ward fight).

What was Al supposed to do at that point in response?

Comment

Have you ever read that or is that what you are guessing?

What promoter/manager doesn't want their clients getting paid big money for easier work? Notice how upset Bob got when HBO suggested they will act a s"matchmaker" instead of the TR matchmakers making fights.

As for exposed, same could be said for Donaire or Juan Ma. Losing doesn't always mean you are exposed.

What would you do if you were AL? That is the part posters keep leaving off.

Would you fight back or would you just do it HBO's way?
            I don't have to read it. It was clear as day why Al was banned from HBO.

As for the whole thing about "a manager/promoter wanting his fighter to get paid for easier work". That just exposes that you are more a fan of managers/promoters than a fan of the sport.

It's also the job of the manager/promoter(does Al even know his role?i guess not and that's why he's being sued) to put on a good show in order to attract fans to ensure his clients gets money.

In that regard Al's fight a bum for big bucks is bad for the sport. It doesn't give the fans good matches and in the long run people are going to wise up and stop watching his product altogether.

Then how will he guarantee his clients the big bucks?

Comment

Again, what did you want Haymon to do once this happened? what would you have done?
              From what I understand and what we have all seen, is that Haymon has adopted a mantra of paying his fighters big money for lackluster fights. He's milking them. Further, he expected HBO to buy (with big $$$) into his scheme which chiefly benefitted him and his fighters. HBO realized that it was not getting a reasonable return on its investment, and balked at Haymon's scheme. Uncle Al then took his business elsewhere. To answer your question, which addresses the effect only and not the cause, I would not have tried to screw the fans and HBO just to line my & my fighters' pockets in the first place. If I'm in business with someone, the idea is to have a plan that makes everybody some money, not just my side.

Comment

Originally posted by elgu View Post
                I don't have to read it. It was clear as day why Al was banned from HBO.

As for the whole thing about "a manager/promoter wanting his fighter to get paid for easier work". That just exposes that you are more a fan of managers/promoters than a fan of the sport.

It's also the job of the manager/promoter(does Al even know his role?i guess not and that's why he's being sued) to put on a good show in order to attract fans to ensure his clients gets money.

In that regard Al's fight a bum for big bucks is bad for the sport. It doesn't give the fans good matches and in the long run people are going to wise up and stop watching his product altogether.

Then how will he guarantee his clients the big bucks?
                SO you are guessing. that is always bad. It would at least be better if you had some factual info.

your 2nd paragraph is ******ed.

Your opinions aside, you didn't tell me what you'd do if you were in AL's position. That is all I am trying to determine-is there another way Haymon could've responded to being banned.

Comment

haymon needs to hire a new match maker, and the sanctioning bodies need to start stripping anyone who avoids mandatories, regardless of the network situation. with these two alterations (one of which not even being a responsibility of haymon), pbc could be the answer to some of boxing's most niggling problems

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                    From what I understand and what we have all seen, is that Haymon has adopted a mantra of paying his fighters big money for lackluster fights. He's milking them. Further, he expected HBO to buy (with big $$$) into his scheme which chiefly benefitted him and his fighters. HBO realized that it was not getting a reasonable return on its investment, and balked at Haymon's scheme. Uncle Al then took his business elsewhere. To answer your question, which addresses the effect only and not the cause, I would not have tried to screw the fans and HBO just to line my & my fighters' pockets in the first place. If I'm in business with someone, the idea is to have a plan that makes everybody some money, not just my side.
                    Ok, we know why you think HBO banned Haymon and you are ok with it. Fine. To pretend HBO made no money is ridiculous. So we stipulate you agree with HBO banning him. cool.

I didn't ask you what you wouldn't do, I asked what would you do after being banned.

You didn't answer that.

So again, how would you respond to being banned from HBO if you were in Al's shoes?

This can't be that hard to answer.

Comment

SO you are guessing. that is always bad. It would at least be better if you had some factual info.

your 2nd paragraph is ******ed.

Your opinions aside, you didn't tell me what you'd do if you were in AL's position. That is all I am trying to determine-is there another way Haymon could've responded to being banned.
                      If you think my second paragraph is ******ed you're a shortsighted fan boy and there's nothing i can do about that.

As for what i would have done in Al's position is to never land in that position at all. His way of conducting business makes no sense unless you're a fighter wanting to get paid for little work. But for a fight fan... it makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X