Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Krusher is ready, is Ward?

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
      Based on what? "eye test"? because their only common opponent was beaten by both of them and Froch beat a better version of him. Many people overlook the likes of Froch, Kessler and other "last generation" fighters just because Kovalev and GGG are the new flavour of the month and because the mistakes of the likes of Froch and Kessler pointed out in their long career against elite opponents, Kovalev and GGG's mistakes wasn't pointed out so obviously yet (they have pointed out at some oints already though) because
      A: They just got the attention in the last 2-3 years. and
      B: They didn't face as many top opponents as Froch, Kessler or I can say Ward too. In fact only Kovalev faced top opponent or top opponents, it's up to you if you count the 49 years old version of Hopkins elite or not (it's a nice win for Kovalev but I wouldn't obviously call that Hopkins "elite" anymore.)

So wait the judging the two compared each other till Kovalev's career ends too.

And for me that's the difference between Ward and all these guys. While I see Golovkin's, Froch's, Kovalev's mistakes, I don't really see Ward's yet, I don't see the holes in his game despite he faced some elite opponents so far, just like Froch.
      How did Froch beat a better version of Pascal? Pascal was less experienced at that time and he had his best success after that fight. A less experienced Pascal almost beat (in some peoples opinion did) beat Froch.
      It's a shame Froch never moved up, Kovalev would have beaten him within the first five rounds. Froch is to easy to hit.
      The funny thing is that 49 year old would probably beat Froch.
      I said it before Ward is no Mayweather. Ward uses a lot of illegal tactics to win fights and that's why I'm not a fan of his (and No I was not one of those people rooting for Froch and Kessler against Ward, I knew Ward was going to win the tournament; Kessler was basically What people call robotic, I was never impressed), that is something his future opponents have to note (the tactics). You also act like no one has had success against Ward. Bika gave him hell at his own game. Abraham did well using the jab in the first half of their fight. Miranda also gave Ward a good fight. I think Ward would beat Stevenson, but two of their common opponents were beaten more convincingly by Stevenson (Bika and Dawson). Don't act like Ward is this invincible fighter, even Mayweather has had close fights. But difference will be if Ward has a close fight, he won't be the A-side thus probably not get the decision.
      Ward will probably not fight DeGale, not because he's scared but DeGale will have the advantage in negotiations and Ward will not travel to England.
      Last edited by HI-TECH Boxing; 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I disagree with that "2 rounds" but that's not the point. They won just a few rounds not certainly because they couldn't hit Kovalev with anything but because every of them was forced to back down and Kovalev had the forward momentum what he really likes, and I think the only thing he really likes. Ward wouldn't give him the favour to flee from him all night long, that's the territory where Kovaev really thrives. Ward won't play cat-mouse game with Kovalev. He won't run away in the fares corner and he won't shell up with his back against a corner or the ropes waiting Kovalev to try to put his long ass combinations on him. Nah... Ward is smarter than that. Hopkins is smart too he couldn't do it because he is simply not good enough to do it at his age.
        Ward will do what he did to Froch, not exactly the same but kinda...
        You've said what Ward won't do, but you haven't said what Ward will do?

That holding/clinching stuff seems unlikely to work against Kovalev. Pascal tried it and got shoved off.

Froch is not a good comparison, Kovalev is a big LHW who is faster (of hand and foot) and possesses much more power.

Ward's a great fighter, but good enough to step up a division and beat a bigger, stronger and vastly more powerful guy who barely even drops rounds?

I don't see it, in fact, I don't even see him taking the fight.

Pascal won 2-3 rounds in my book and Caparello won against him the one he knocked down Kovalev, maybe he was outfought the rest of the round but by the rules he won that... But the point wasn't this.
        I gave the 2 rounds to Pascal on the night too, but re-watching it, he didn't win those rounds, he just did a little better after getting blown out (and almost knocked out).

Caparello won a round because Kovalev's glove touched the deck after he stood on his foot at the same time as landing a punch, he didn't exactly outbox him.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X