No announcement yet.

Americans: Calm down about Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
    Good point. However if anyone needs to calm down its Brits about Joshua. Lo Greco on 2 days notice was a step up from any Joshua opponents.
    I agree on that as well, the Brits are desperate for a heavyweight on a similar level to Lewis. If you look through my post history you will see that I made similar posts about Joshua. He is not and will never be as good as Lewis, for starters he started much later. I think people are right to get behind him, he is a good prospect, but if you look at Lennox at similar stage in his pro career you can't compare there skill and raw ability at all, it is night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
      Because they have had way better prospects in the recent past and it seems their expectations of what a top American prospect is has been lowered, which is a bit sad to me. I am not nationalistic in any way, but it is the American fans which I feel need some perspective, that is all. I am not stopping anyone rooting for him, but just the expectations and comparisons being made need to be looked at.
      Okay, I respect your opinion however I don't think it's worth any chafing. Some see him as a nice prospect, you and some others don't, period. I don't see over the top, huge hype around him just usually users here (me too) think that he is a promising prospect. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by jup11223 View Post
        Well I don't agree on that.I see a young but for his age pretty complete fighter.of course he got room for improvements,but he will learn.
        I agree he is a very complete fighter, but for me doesn't really seem great at anything that is why I used the Lamont comparison who is also pretty solid all round. He doesn't have that elite speed you normally associate with a top prospect though, especially a top African American prospect.

I can't see how he will impose himself on the very top guys, unless he has levels and layers which we haven't yet seen.

Comment

Mayweather is feeding him to the wolves too early.

Comment

I think what you have is the Floyd fan base looking a little too hard for the next Floyd. Spence is good but he is beatable. Nobody is going to fill Floyd's shoes— which is bad for Floyd fans and good for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
              Mayweather is feeding him to the wolves too early.
              I don't expect him to be in with any of those guys they are talking bout until next year at the earliest. I think it is all talk to build the kid up, no way they throw him in with Thurman on Sept 12.

For me Broner has already been majorly mishandled, but I don't care in his case because I think it is his own fault, getting way ahead of himself. Spence is a more humble kid, so i think they will manoeuvre him in a smarter way.

Comment

If Spence fights aggressively he will be just fine, he is an offensive fighter that has a lot of tools offensively with very good athleticism.

If he tries to be a defensive counter puncher he will suck because that isn't really his bag.

He won't look anything like Floyd because he will never be that kind of defensive fighter, but what does that even mean? that doesn't mean he can't have a ton of success.

Comment

The importance people place on speed is beginning to annoy me. He sets up his punches and places them will; that is better than the flash punches thrown by the likes of Khan and Broner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
                    I think what you have is the Floyd fan base looking a little too hard for the next Floyd. Spence is good but he is beatable. Nobody is going to fill Floyd's shoes— which is bad for Floyd fans and good for boxing.
                    It is a little bit of this, and I don't know if some of these guys are new to boxing, but the expectations need to be a bit higher. Some of these guys need to remind themselves what a young Mayweather or Judah looked like after 18 fights. Plus Spence has gone pro late he is already like 25 so his body has matured. Judah and Mayweather went pro in their teens early 20's and both were champions by 21 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      If Spence fights aggressively he will be just fine, he is an offensive fighter that has a lot of tools offensively with very good athleticism.

If he tries to be a defensive counter puncher he will suck because that isn't really his bag.

He won't look anything like Floyd because he will never be that kind of defensive fighter, but what does that even mean? that doesn't mean he can't have a ton of success.
                      He will need to have some serious intangibles and lots of other qualities we have yet to see not to mention an iron chin to be able to fight with that style. I am not saying it isn't possible but even with an aggressive style I would like to have seen much more than I have to be confident he will be a top fighter. He just doesn't do anything spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                      X