No announcement yet.

Americans: Calm down about Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans: Calm down about Spence

He is not looking like a superstar to me. The kid is a good solid fighter, he has good fundamentals, looks composed, and looks heavy handed, but he is not the second coming. He is a little slow and looks a little open, so relax. I think you have a world champion on you're hands but he definitely is NOT the future of boxing or anything of that type he is just another one in the mix in a stacked division.

His lack of speed will limit his potential in my opinion. He has good timing and accuracy which will help negate some of that lack of speed but he is the type of fighter who tries to be very precise and his can be a problem as he goes higher in level especially as his feet are a little slow, I can definitely see him struggling against certain styles.

I see lots of American fans getting overexcited with his potential, the thing is I can see the circle coming already. You guys are going to build him up and as soon as he struggles or picks up an L he is going to become a bum overnight. As I said Spence is a good fighter, from the looks of it he will be at the top for a long time, but with the limitations he has don't expect him to be an elite unbelievable fighter. I don't see a young Mayweather, Mosley, or Judah. He doesn't have that type of talent to me, maybe more comparable to a Lamont Peterson in terms of talent and level, not style.

He's their new hope since Broner got exposed. Very overrated and I see nothing elite about him whatsover, he's slow as fk, leaky defense, flat footed and has good power and punch selection.. will be a good decent B level fighter but he's not elite and certainly not "da future".

Comment

Spence...lol US Olympian though!

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        He is not looking like a superstar to me. The kid is a good solid fighter, he has good fundamentals, looks composed, and looks heavy handed, but he is not the second coming. He is a little slow and looks a little open, so relax. I think you have a world champion on you're hands but he definitely is NOT the future of boxing or anything of that type he is just another one in the mix in a stacked division.

His lack of speed will limit his potential in my opinion. He has good timing and accuracy which will help negate some of that lack of speed but he is the type of fighter who tries to be very precise and his can be a problem as he goes higher in level especially as his feet are a little slow, I can definitely see him struggling against certain styles.

I see lots of American fans getting overexcited with his potential, the thing is I can see the circle coming already. You guys are going to build him up and as soon as he struggles or picks up an L he is going to become a bum overnight. As I said Spence is a good fighter, from the looks of it he will be at the top for a long time, but with the limitations he has don't expect him to be an elite unbelievable fighter. I don't see a young Mayweather, Mosley, or Judah. He doesn't have that type of talent to me, maybe more comparable to a Lamont Peterson in terms of talent and level, not style.
        Good point. However if anyone needs to calm down its Brits about Joshua. Lo Greco on 2 days notice was a step up from any Joshua opponents.

Comment

I'm not American but why is that bother you? They're excited about him? Good to them then and you can't say that they haven't got any cause of it btw... Spence is a good prospect.
          Lots of American haters on this site who clearly want Americans to NOT succeed in this sport mostly because of sourness and nationalist causes. At the same time they don't realize that the thing they root for isn't good at all for the sport in general. I don't know if you're one of them or not this isn't certainly directed at you but I don't see that Spence would be overhyped, so why does it bother you if someone excited about him?

Comment

Well I don't agree on that.I see a young but for his age pretty complete fighter.of course he got room for improvements,but he will learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
              He's their new hope since Broner got exposed. Very overrated and I see nothing elite about him whatsover, he's slow as fk, leaky defense, flat footed and has good power and punch selection.. will be a good decent B level fighter but he's not elite and certainly not "da future".
              I don't see a young superstar at all, I have been around long enough to know. He could blossom into a very good champion but even still I can't see him becoming what some on here think he is going to become. I just think back when I was watching some other guys come through who went right to the top in the last generation, someone like Cotto, you could see he looked really special in those first 20 fights, the raw ability was immense. I don't see that level with Spence.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
                Good point. However if anyone needs to calm down its Brits about Joshua. Lo Greco on 2 days notice was a step up from any Joshua opponents.
                Johnson was better than Greco.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
                  What kind of hope?
                  Maywether is clearly P4P #1, Ward has plenty of years back and looks like he hasn't lost a step at all. Crawford does well, Thurman does well, other American fighters do well. You can want Americans to disappear from professional boxing but it won't happen dude. Not even if they are lacking the deep pool right now compared to their other more shiny periods. They have plenty of talents out there. Chill out. Americans will be alright, they don't need any "hope".

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
                    I'm not American but why is that bother you? They're excited about him? Good to them then and you can't say that they haven't got any cause of it btw... Spence is a good prospect.
                    Lots of American haters on this site who clearly want Americans to NOT succeed in this sport mostly because of sourness and nationalist causes. At the same time they don't realize that the thing they root for isn't good at all for the sport in general. I don't know if you're one of them or not this isn't certainly directed at you but I don't see that Spence would be overhyped, so why does it bother you if someone excited about him?
                    Because they have had way better prospects in the recent past and it seems their expectations of what a top American prospect is has been lowered, which is a bit sad to me. I am not nationalistic in any way, but it is the American fans which I feel need some perspective, that is all. I am not stopping anyone rooting for him, but just the expectations and comparisons being made need to be looked at.

Comment

Working...
                    X