Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arum falling out with HBO, shows interest with Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with Ward is that he doesn't fight often enough. I remember the Super Six and I remember that he had the boxing community in the palm of his hands; all he had to do was close his fist.

He started talking about Bute not doing enough to earn a fight with him. Froch took the fight and gave Bute a pasting. That was Ward's booty to take but his ego allowed another man to swoop in.

Since beating Froch, you count the number of opponents he has fought on one hand I believe... Yes, 2 fights in 4 years.

Comment

If HBO loses Arum who is left for Kovalev, Cotto, Canelo and others to fight? All roads lead to PBC for big fights. As sone as Schaffer comes on board when his non compete is up with his promotoes liscense it is game over. All young fighter will sign with PBC to be on network tv.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
        The problem with Ward is that he doesn't fight often enough. I remember the Super Six and I remember that he had the boxing community in the palm of his hands; all he had to do was close his fist.

He started talking about Bute not doing enough to earn a fight with him. Froch took the fight and gave Bute a pasting. That was Ward's booty to take but his ego allowed another man to swoop in.

Since beating Froch, you count the number of opponents he has fought on one hand I believe... Yes, 2 fights in 4 years.
        SOG is my guy but those are hard FACTS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
          Andre Ward doesn't usually knock many opponents out.

Your argument kinda falls apart there.
          My point about Andre Ward was that HBO doesn't care as much about fighters of African descent, regardless of how good they are.

You are right. Andre Ward's 51 percent KO ratio is much less than Alvarez's 71 percent or Kovalev's 88 percent KO ratio. However, Andre Ward has fought more top tier opponents than Alvarez or Kovalev combined, so you can't expect his KO ratio to be that high. If Ward had fought 44 C-level opponents in 47 fights like Alvarez or 32 C-level opponents in 33 fights like GGG, his KO ratio would be much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by orechia View Post
            If HBO loses Arum who is left for Kovalev, Cotto, Canelo and others to fight? All roads lead to PBC for big fights. As sone as Schaffer comes on board when his non compete is up with his promotoes liscense it is game over. All young fighter will sign with PBC to be on network tv.
            HBO doesn't care if these guys do nothing but fight C-level opponents for the rest of their careers as long as they KO them in spectacular fashion.

Comment

Remember when arum was talking hella smack about ezpinoza and showtime? He probably already has an agreement with show since he is dissing hbo

Comment

Suits Trying To Run Boxing yeah HBO lets see how this works out...I don't ***ing Blame Arum One Bit! He been Promoting boxing probably before this goofy looking ***er was born.

He shouldn't allow him to dictate to him what is a good match up and what is not. No way you can convince me that goofy looking *** knows more about boxing than Bob Arum...NO ***ING WAY!

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                  HBO is enamored with fighters who knock their opponents out. It doesn't matter if those opponents are C and D-class fighters who didn't have a chance in hell of winning, as long as the fighter they are routing for wins by KO. However, they only enamored with those who are either Hispanic, European or in some cases, Asian. Kovalev, GGG, Alvarez, Pacquaio, Cotto, Donaire, Rios, Lomanchenko and Klitschko are no doubt their favorites.

HBO could care less about those of African descent, even if they are KO artists. That is why HBO refused to broadcast Andre Ward's next fight, but had no problem showing GGG against a club fighter. The only exception to this rule is Floyd Mayweather and that is only because he is the most popular fighter in the world.
                  Very True, but the only person I disagree with is Loma, he has more of hardcore fan style than the other guys.

Comment

How long before he starts bad mouthing Macao and threatening going back to the MGM?

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                      My point about Andre Ward was that HBO doesn't care as much about fighters of African descent, regardless of how good they are.

You are right. Andre Ward's 51 percent KO ratio is much less than Alvarez's 71 percent or Kovalev's 88 percent KO ratio. However, Andre Ward has fought more top tier opponents than Alvarez or Kovalev combined, so you can't expect his KO ratio to be that high. If Ward had fought 44 C-level opponents in 47 fights like Alvarez or 32 C-level opponents in 33 fights like GGG, his KO ratio would be much higher.
                      I don't know that it's fair to say that.

A lot of the top African American boxers left when Haymon and Schaefer were taking their fighters to SHO...and then HBO closed the door on both of them.

It wasn't all that long ago that Broner was "Mr. HBO".
                      Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 06-18-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X