Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Cotto-Canelo being billed as the next "Super fight"? Canelo ain't elite.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo is absolutely an elite level fighter.

Both guys are top level, both are star attractions and PPV sellers....it's a bona fide super fight.

Canelo at age 24 has wins over Lara, Trout, Angulo, Kirkland and is looking to add Cotto....that would be a pretty awesome resume for age 25.

Comment

It is not a "Super Fight" but no question it is a Big Fight. Lets be realistic, it won't come close to doing 1 Million buys or anything like that but I think it will do really well especially with Roc Nation helping with the Promotion. Jay Z clearly has the connections to get his fighters out on certain platforms to promote their fights that other promotions don't and that could help PPV Buys.

Comment

Because everything Mayweather does in boxing, it has to have an equal. And we see that there is no equal at this moment to Mayweather. It took Mayweather a longtime to reach his current status, but now the boxing elite want to diminish by speaking about the next big thing compared to Mayweather Pac. You can't just make things up after a few fights, Mayweather has built it and people already would like to see it come down.

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
          he did not beat lara...if u watched the fight I can't think of any other verdict than a close win for lara or a draw

canelo is a good and maybe will be a great fighter seeing as he's accomplished a lot at such a young age, but people seem to bypass the fact that his resume is leaky

the kirkland he fought had no power and was slow as ****, same thing with angulo. his best win is austin trout and he's amounted to a B class fighter at best. I think canelo will get better with experience but he certainly ain't there yet
          Look, the Lara fight was just as close as the Trout fight, neither fight is one when you can so confidently say "Lara/Trout won". It's ridiculous how some of you discredit a legitimate yet close win, like everyone win has to be a 12-0 drubbing.

Canelo in that fight showed he had more dog than Lara, he was the one starting exchanges and in many cases, ending them too. Down the stretch, Lara seemed content in trying to back peddle and steal rounds whereas Canelo forced the rounds. Lara isnt as good a defensive fighter as he has been brought up to think he is.

It's a close win for Lara if you wana go that way but it's no way a robbery or a discredited win for Canelo, who btw was supposed to get completed outclassed by a guy who was supposed to be a p4p entrant lol Look at Laras face after that fight, it's like Pacquiaos after the Floyd fight, he knew he lost.

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          None of those were super fights dude. Canelo is not good enough to be in a super fight at this stage of his career. He has a huge following and sells tickets, but to be in a "super" fight takes more IMO. Cotto is a HOF IMO, but he is not good enough to be in a super fight either. I am in no way disrespecting or discrediting either.

Super fights are matchups that get interest outside of the boxing and sports world into the mainstream. You usually need one or both fighters to transcend boxing. I don't think Cotto or Canelo transcend the sport, maybe they do in their communities.

For example, Hagler/Hearns was an incredible big fight, but it wasn't IMO a "super" fight like Hagler/Leonard or Hearns/Leonard. IMO niether Hagler/Duran nor Hearns/Duran were "super" fights either.

I think we throw terms like "super fights" and "ATG" around too loosely. IMO there is a huge difference between a "big" fight and a "super" fight.
          No one is calling Canelo an ATG, let's not get carried away but he featured in the second biggest PPV of ALL TIME...you're telling me Floyd/Canelo wasn't a superfight?

Cotto and Pacquiao was one of the top 2 PPVs in Cottos career and one of the few PPVs in history to do over a million buys. That's not a superfight? It had big traction in international markets too.

Heck Hatton v Mayweather was a superfight too, it was a PPV on both sides of the pond and generated millions of buys globally, its still one of the highest British PPVs of all time and was covered incessantly by the mainstream media in the UK and even in the US during fight week especially.

If you're definition of a superfight is one where a fight can only be labelled as such because it is imprinted into the public conscience then Hagler/Leonard doesn't even count (by your own high standards). No one, who is a casual would even know who those two are right now. That would be a very shortlist of fights: Ali/Foreman/Frazier, Tyson/Lewis and Pac/May.
          Last edited by soul_survivor; 06-08-2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Dont give a damn it will be fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
              But Mayweather fought Canelo... I don't think it matters. It's about who brings the $$$ in large volumes to equal a superfight these days.

Mayweather always picks the right dance partner because he needs them to sell the majority of the tickets. Canelo was gold ticket for him, and now he shall be with Cotto.
              Thats stupid..because Floyd sells even with Maidana and Guerrero..where as Cotto,Canelo,havent sold d1ck since...and Manny was doing 300k recently

Comment

Super Fight = Super Bowl/World Cup, etc. It's to determine who the absolute best in the world is and its the biggest economic event in the sport.

Comment

I could not care less whether it is called a "super fight" or not. I watch fights hoping they will produce thrills and excitement, not based on their advanced billing or how the masses perceive them. May-Pac was a "super fight" but it was a horrible fight in terms of producing excitement or thrills. Most of Mayweathers fights fall into that category.

I thought that last Saturdays fight featuring Guerrero was also far more interesting to me than the May-Pac fight in terms of viewing enjoyment and that was hardly a "super fight". So I think the Canelo-Cotto matchup has a great deal of potential to produce good exchanges, excitement, knockdowns and possibly a knock out.

Whatever you want to label that. I'm down for it.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Look, the Lara fight was just as close as the Trout fight, neither fight is one when you can so confidently say "Lara/Trout won". It's ridiculous how some of you discredit a legitimate yet close win, like everyone win has to be a 12-0 drubbing.

Canelo in that fight showed he had more dog than Lara, he was the one starting exchanges and in many cases, ending them too. Down the stretch, Lara seemed content in trying to back peddle and steal rounds whereas Canelo forced the rounds. Lara isnt as good a defensive fighter as he has been brought up to think he is.

It's a close win for Lara if you wana go that way but it's no way a robbery or a discredited win for Canelo, who btw was supposed to get completed outclassed by a guy who was supposed to be a p4p entrant lol Look at Laras face after that fight, it's like Pacquiaos after the Floyd fight, he knew he lost.

No one is calling Canelo an ATG, let's not get carried away but he featured in the second biggest PPV of ALL TIME...you're telling me Floyd/Canelo wasn't a superfight?

Cotto and Pacquiao was one of the top 2 PPVs in Cottos career and one of the few PPVs in history to do over a million buys. That's not a superfight? It had big traction in international markets too.

Heck Hatton v Mayweather was a superfight too, it was a PPV on both sides of the pond and generated millions of buys globally, its still one of the highest British PPVs of all time and was covered incessantly by the mainstream media in the UK and even in the US during fight week especially.

If you're definition of a superfight is one where a fight can only be labelled as such because it is imprinted into the public conscience then Hagler/Leonard doesn't even count (by your own high standards). No one, who is a casual would even know who those two are right now. That would be a very shortlist of fights: Ali/Foreman/Frazier, Tyson/Lewis and Pac/May.
                    No, I don't think Floyd v canelo or Floyd v hatton was a super fight. it was a huge fight that sold a lot, but to me it wasn't. I do have a high standard.

Leonard/hagler was a super fight, hagler/hearns was not. Leonard/duran was, neither hagler nor Hearns fights with Duran were.

Super fights at a minimum must transcend the sport and the sport's world IMO. To call fights that don't do this sells the sport and it's history short. No disrespect to cotto, canelo or their fans.

If they are not talking about the fight outside of the sport, it just isn't a super fight. In an era where boxing isn't a mainstream sport, this isn't going to happen.

It may be a great fight we remember forever, it just isn't a mainstream fight.
                    Last edited by The Big Dunn; 06-08-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      How could cotto/canelo be a super fight when neither Floyd/cotto, Manny/cotto or Floyd/canelo was?
                      ??? Floyd-Cotto did 1.5 and Floyd-Canelo did 2.2

Comment

Working...
                      X