Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady "I'll fight anyone at 154-168 but not Ward" Golovkin is looking at Froch now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    was groves a tune up for froch?
    Paul Smith is not Groves.

As for Ward getting $2 million on HBO, it will be a long time before he gets paid close to that on HBO again. And regarding his tune up fights, it was Ward's camp who stated that he wants two or three tune up fights before considering a major challenge. There are enough threads and posts around here on that subject for you to read if you feel like looking for them.

Here's a start for you... http://www.examiner.com/article/andr...tune-up-fights

“They don't like giving me tune-up fights for some reason...Fighting all those tough fights like that back to back, I was fortunate to not take any major punishment...each fight, it really teaches you something and it takes you to another level...each fight, I gotta prove 'em right.”
    I love that quote. All those tough fights, back to back! What a laugh! The last time he fought more than twice in one year was back in 2009. He has had it so tough.

Comment

Froch is going to surprise him. he's looking at Froch as a soft touch but he's wrong.

Comment

what makes you think those two will draw 350 K?
        do you have any evidence other than what you think they'll draw?

one the one hand you have little shirelings talking down about what ward draws.
        and on another you have little shirelings acting like ward should be on PPV. it's an odd look.

miguel cotto is one of the most popular fighters in boxing. he fought floyd, manny. casuals have at least heard of him. to sell a PPV, you need casual fans. you can go through cotto's track record and find him to be a much more viable PPV fighter than martinez, golovkin, or ward.

it's also unreasonable to assume that the fight [purses] will be cheap for HBO to garantee. hell, martinez made less on ppv against chavez than ward did on regular HBO. you think he's going to take less than 2 million to fight golovkin on PPV when he took 2 million to fight rodriguez on regular HBO?

casuals who buy fringe / smaller ppv are generally ethnic / national fans. mexicans, PRs on the pr day parade, etc. then you supplement in the casual fanbase. ward certainly doens't have that. he has a local california draw, and draws a boxing crowd on the networks. golovkin is starting to build his casual [mexican] fanbase, but he's not in cotto's stratosphere with his ability to draw in new york and on the PR day weekend.

i don't blame you guys for not knowing what you're talking about. i do blame you for your biases.
        golovkin routinely draws 1m viewers for his evening fights against no-names, so you'd imagine that 10% of that core fanbase would shell out for a ppv headlining him. ward does similar numbers so the same applies to him. and the fact that they will actually be fighting each other in one of the most interesting match-ups that can be made in the sport will surely produce a multiplying effect. they're not two past-prime fighters like cotto and martinez. stick gonzalez or someone on the undercard in an 'industry fight'. i think they can reach 350k or thereabouts.

on the money side of things, golovkin's highest purse to date is $1.5m. ward's: $2m. that's a far cry from cotto's $7m guarantee for facing martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
          Lol when the **** has Ward been available to fight Golovkin? He hasn't been available in two years and now has a tune up next month against Paul Smith at 172 pounds! LOL so how the hell is he ducking Ward when he has not and is not available?!?!

Ward isn't even a ranked fighter right now. Let the man get his tune up(s) and if GGG fights/beats Froch THEN talk about Ward.

Ward should be focused on his tune up, then maybe DeGale or Kovalev/Stevenson if he's having trouble making 168.
          I want that avy and sig when Ward-GGG is made. I love the God of War but SOG.......is a totally different beast.

Comment

How many complete sh|t threads on the same subject does the OP have to make? It is the same song and dance every time. Yes we know you hate GGG, we get it!

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
              How many complete sh|t threads on the same subject does the OP have to make? It is the same song and dance every time. Yes we know you hate GGG, we get it!
              The ignore list is your friend. Put idiots like the OP on it and you would be amazed how much better the board is afterwards.

Comment

ugh, what a horrible thread

Comment

Cotto, Mayweather and Froch. He's chasing the money fights.
                  Face Froch at Wembley for good money, or Ward infront of 3 men and their dog in Oakland for less money...not much of a decision to make is there?

A ward fight isn't even on the table anyway. He's just about to take to the ring for the first time in a year and a half. In a warm up fight, at 172 pounds.
                  A fight with GGG isn't even on his agenda for a while off.

Comment

I like how it's ok for certain fighters to go after the money while others get criticized.

Comment

rodriguez made a lot of money fighting ward.

it's not that ward isn't a draw. that's a defense technique that the brits use to deal with their feelings of inadequacy.

ward's a good draw. draws well in oakland. draws a good amount of viewers on TV.

froch is just a better draw. floyd is a much better draw.

they're also much, much easier fights. floyd is a welterweight. froch is slow, and was almost out against george groves.

ward is a terrific boxer with a great chin and with a natural size advantage. when golovkin gets close enough to work, ward's going to use his tricks and either move all the way back out, or walk him to the ropes and work inside.

you guys just don't understand boxing, which is fine. sometimes, you have to stop talking and learn something.
                      Ward can't fill the high school gym in his home town hell pee wee T Ball gets more viewers than Ward

Comment

Working...
                      X