Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady "I'll fight anyone at 154-168 but not Ward" Golovkin is looking at Froch now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    rodriguez made a lot of money fighting ward.

it's not that ward isn't a draw. that's a defense technique that the brits use to deal with their feelings of inadequacy.

ward's a good draw. draws well in oakland. draws a good amount of viewers on TV.

froch is just a better draw. floyd is a much better draw.

they're also much, much easier fights. floyd is a welterweight. froch is slow, and was almost out against george groves.

ward is a terrific boxer with a great chin and with a natural size advantage. when golovkin gets close enough to work, ward's going to use his tricks and either move all the way back out, or walk him to the ropes and work inside.

you guys just don't understand boxing, which is fine. sometimes, you have to stop talking and learn something.

Ward is such a huge draw that his next fight is on BET because neither Showtime or HBO wanted to have anything to do with the poor quality opponents he was proposing at the money he was demanding. Ward has not fought in 18 months and couldn't draw flies right now.

He is also no longer the A side of a GGG fight and that fight will not be happening in Oakland with everything in Ward's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
      Ward is such a huge draw that his next fight is on BET because neither Showtime or HBO wanted to have anything to do with the poor quality opponents he was proposing at the money he was demanding. Ward has not fought in 18 months and couldn't draw flies right now.

He is also no longer the A side of a GGG fight and that fight will not be happening in Oakland with everything in Ward's favor.

he's on BET because he had a feud with goossen and moved to a fledgeling promotion. goossen is dead now, of course. it's also a tune up fight that HBO doesn't want to have to overpay.

ward has drawn well. i don't care if you want to stick your head in the sand like a child. compare him to other contemporary american based fighters not named cotto, pacquiao, mayweather, or marquez, and you see that he does just fine for an american fighter. 10K in california, and good ratings on HBO and showtime when he's been there.

you're all just insecure about it because he's better than the very best that you can produce. they don't even give him hard fights.

Comment

he's on BET because he had a feud with goossen and moved to a fledgeling promotion. goossen is dead now, of course. it's also a tune up fight that HBO doesn't want to have to overpay.

ward has drawn well. i don't care if you want to stick your head in the sand like a child. compare him to other contemporary american based fighters not named cotto, pacquiao, mayweather, or marquez, and you see that he does just fine for an american fighter. 10K in california, and good ratings on HBO and showtime when he's been there.

you're all just insecure about it because he's better than the very best that you can produce. they don't even give him hard fights.
        Get back to me when he is fighting a top contender on a top network. As for how many people he can draw, he should be selling out the Staples Center as a minimum if he is so great. Until he gets back on a major network fighting a major opponent, Ward is irrelevant in the boxing world.

And I do not accept that he needs two or three tune up fights after such a short layoff. Other, real champions of the past came back from much longer layoffs straight into the ring against top contenders if not directly into a championship fight. They did not need to spend 6 months digging through the scrap pile to find a suitable opponent.

Comment

it will

it still won't be as big of a fight. golovkin may still make more money fighting froch, at least in terms of the purses.
          if hbo can rustle up $8.5m for cotto-martinez, which drew 350k viewers, they can surely afford to put on golovkin-ward, since neither of them will demand as much as cotto did.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
            Get back to me when he is fighting a top contender on a top network. As for how many people he can draw, he should be selling out the Staples Center as a minimum if he is so great. Until he gets back on a major network fighting a major opponent, Ward is irrelevant in the boxing world.

And I do not accept that he needs two or three tune up fights after such a short layoff. Other, real champions of the past came back from much longer layoffs straight into the ring against top contenders if not directly into a championship fight. They did not need to spend 6 months digging through the scrap pile to find a suitable opponent.

two or three tune up fights?
            are you clairvoyant?

rodriguez was a contender in a smililar state in his career to groves. he'd be a tune up for andre ward. he almost stopped carl froch, and had him briefly unconscious in their first fight.
            get back to me when froch doens't need two fights to get a decisive win over that guy. it's not my fault the rest of the division isn't good enough to have a fight like rodriguez considered a tune up.

ward's people are begginning talks with kovalev's people. they want that fight in '16, and so does HBO. kovalev would end froch's career.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              if hbo can rustle up $8.5m for cotto-martinez, which drew 350k viewers, they can surely afford to put on golovkin-ward, since neither of them will demand as much as cotto did.

what makes you think those two will draw 350 K?
              do you have any evidence other than what you think they'll draw?

one the one hand you have little shirelings talking down about what ward draws.
              and on another you have little shirelings acting like ward should be on PPV. it's an odd look.

miguel cotto is one of the most popular fighters in boxing. he fought floyd, manny. casuals have at least heard of him. to sell a PPV, you need casual fans. you can go through cotto's track record and find him to be a much more viable PPV fighter than martinez, golovkin, or ward.

it's also unreasonable to assume that the fight [purses] will be cheap for HBO to garantee. hell, martinez made less on ppv against chavez than ward did on regular HBO. you think he's going to take less than 2 million to fight golovkin on PPV when he took 2 million to fight rodriguez on regular HBO?

casuals who buy fringe / smaller ppv are generally ethnic / national fans. mexicans, PRs on the pr day parade, etc. then you supplement in the casual fanbase. ward certainly doens't have that. he has a local california draw, and draws a boxing crowd on the networks. golovkin is starting to build his casual [mexican] fanbase, but he's not in cotto's stratosphere with his ability to draw in new york and on the PR day weekend.

i don't blame you guys for not knowing what you're talking about. i do blame you for your biases.

Comment

was groves a tune up for froch?

Comment

Originally posted by Skilled Nation View Post
                  Ok so all this talk of bum-love-kin fighting anyone at 154 to 168 has been utterly destroyed by his open ducking of Andre "SOG" Ward. He wants to pick on little Mayweather who is really a super lightweight and former super lightweight Cotto and former WW Canelo but he's happy to face 6'1 career super middleweight Carl Froch?

The audacity of these clowns is astonishing, Ward Golovkin is a huge fight that would be similar to Froch GGG but we know why they don't want it, all hype ends when that boy steps in with SOG, same reasons HBO didn't want Pac-Floyd until they milked the sht outta Pac.

Seems like this hype beast is ready to step in with anyone from 154-168 provided they're too small or declining and very beatable, disgraceful behavior but it's what you get from HBO fighters.

I can't be the only one who notices how astonishing it is a fighter who ploughs through as many bums get's this level of hype, maybe because his particular demographic isn't used to having word champions? I don't know but it's time we stopped giving these "duckers" our hard earned money and stopped viewing their fights until they step it up.

Kovalev and GGG (HBO fighters) ducking threats and fighting stylistically easy fights to build up their fanbases who have limited boxing knowledge and just get excited that a fighter of their demographic is dominant.

MESSAGE TO GGG AND KOVALOV STEP UP AND STEP INTO THE LIONS DEN WITH WARD AND STEVENSON.

Clowns.
                  I didn't even read your silly post but Ward will ask for $2.5m and he has literally zero drawing power. Instead of being pro black are you able to comprehend finances and numbers? It's not even a makeable fight right now. Just sit back and wait homie

Comment

So skilled nation/Horus reborn/nay sayer?

Comment

Originally posted by PulpFriction View Post
                      I didn't even read your silly post but Ward will ask for $2.5m and he has literally zero drawing power. Instead of being pro black are you able to comprehend finances and numbers? It's not even a makeable fight right now. Just sit back and wait homie

who told you guys this?
                      other insecure shirelings?

you are wrong.

ward was one of the bigger draws on regular HBO prior to the goossen issues. his rodriguez fight, which wasn't a great one by any stretch, was in the top 10 biggest draws off of ppv in 2013 for either boxing network. he also sold well at the gate in california.

HBO just doesn't want to pay 2 million for a tune up. they'll let another network pony up the purse until ward is fighting golovkin or kovalev.

Comment

Working...
                      X