No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top TV Execs on Al Haymon's PBC Business Plan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjsmyth87 View Post
    I think its great haymon is trying to get boxing back on free t.v., however he is not doing himself or boxing itself any favors by continuing to put on cards that aren't that great. Dont get me wrong they have been better than the crap that was on ShowTime last year, however HBO is doing it right by making all these great cards.
    You think Golovkin vs Willie Monroe was great?

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
      2 years. That's when the majority of these deals expire. He has to establish PBC and show that it is a viable brand.
      Could be less if he burns through all the investors money. The problem is the cost for these shows is enormous. He is paying huge fight purses, huge production costs and then on top shoots millions to the networks for the time buys. And so far little to none commercial advertisers have joined in which is why instead of commercials they just run promos for PBS events. Means its all out of pocket for the investor's. they are making almost nothing in ticket sales with many empty seats and rumors of them giving away a mass amount of tickets for free. If they don't get advertisers or higher ratings I doubt they make it to year 2 because the money losses will be to great. Or they will have to scale down the shows meaning lower quality fighters.

Comment

Go to ticket master and you can see with about day away the Dirrell fight is in a small arena with only half the arena for boxing yet still only around half the seats are sold. My guess is again on fight night on TV you will see tons of empty seats or PBC will walk the streets and comp a ton of free tickets hours before the fight. How you expect to sell PBC to the networks when you have no sponsors and are forced to give away tickets for your fights?

Comment

What is the worse that could happen? It doesn't work, you head back to Showtime with fighters who now have more fans than they had before PBC?

He has a Loaded Roster so it is so many things he can do.

Beyond the PBC thing, Boxing seem to be missing something not sure what it is but it is a disconnect with younger viewers. UFC does well with a younger Demo but boxing is completely disconnected from a young audience. I notice this during fight parties where the kids are busy running around doing other things not giving a damn about the fight. I have no clue how the hell would you be able to win over a younger demographic besides maybe a Bad Ass PBC Boxing Video Game or something then again Fight Night Champions wasn't a very popular selling video game either so that is no Guarantee but it can help a little especially if it is a really good game

Haymon does have Mayweather as a option though, getting Mayweather on PBC to go for #50 would be huge as far as getting Sponsers. Then it become a bid for who will get him on their Network. Like him or Not People will watch him if he is on their TV Screen.

Comment

You can't cover up a "shady fight" with a "clean fight" on every show; you can't pay all of your 200 fighters millions of dollars while promising them 4 fights a year as well as protecting the records of your "most prized possessions".......there is a reason why utopias don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
              Go to ticket master and you can see with about day away the Dirrell fight is in a small arena with only half the arena for boxing yet still only around half the seats are sold. My guess is again on fight night on TV you will see tons of empty seats or PBC will walk the streets and comp a ton of free tickets hours before the fight. How you expect to sell PBC to the networks when you have no sponsors and are forced to give away tickets for your fights?
              Even for Broner vs. Porter they're closing off much of the arena and for the sections that are open their is very few tickets available for purchase. It's a mystery what happened to thousands of tickets, it's unlikely they sold that many on the first day. Maybe Haymon is gonna scalp those tix or maybe those are the ones being given away as comps. Either way I don't see that fight drawing a huge crowd either.

Comment

Haymon doesn't have enough stars for this to be sustainable. Of his 200+ fighters, maybe only 5 are known amongst casuals.

His second problem is that its unorganized. He has different networks showing fights on different days and at different times. The average casual fan cant keep up with who's fighting who on what channel on what day and at what time. I'm a diehard fan and I cant keep up with it. Sometimes I wont even know there was a PBC fight until the day after when I read about it here.

His third problem is, he's paying out the azz for everything with little return on his investment. He can only manage to keep this up but for so long.

Haymon assumed that boxing fans were so desperate for boxing to be back on network tv that they would just tune in to any crap fight he threw out there. His ratings and lack of sponsorship and advertisers buying up tv slot time during his fight cards have proved otherwise. I certainly applaud him for trying but I don't see this working out well for him.
                Last edited by Deevel916; 05-22-2015, 07:24 AM.

Comment

... At the end of the day, ADVERTISING is the bottomline...
                  ... But I don't see HOW big advertising figures would flood a pro boxing franchise... I just don't see how...

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    2 years. That's when the majority of these deals expire. He has to establish PBC and show that it is a viable brand.
                    Yes, 2 years... That's the time span for the financial backup in place.
                    Haymon needs to create a true Revolution in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                      ... At the end of the day, ADVERTISING is the bottomline...
                      ... But I don't see HOW big advertising figures would flood a pro boxing franchise... I just don't see how...
                      When done right combat sports appeals to the beer swilling young males who advertisers love.

If all boxing was under one banner (unlikely I know) then advertisers would have no problem with signing deals. Problem is the sport is so diluted in terms of talent its impossible to unlock boxings potential commercially

Comment

Working...
                      X