Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more flawed - GGG's defence or Floyd's offence?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more flawed - GGG's defence or Floyd's offence?

A lot of people picking holes in GGG's defence last night. Sure, it was leaky but it seemed fairly apparent that he abandoned the best jab in boxing because he knew his opponent wasn't able to hurt him. But even in past fights, his defence hasn't exactly been stellar.

But then, when you are such an offensively dynamic fighter (and let's not forget that Abel Sanchez emphasised this style for him to make it big), then you inherently sacrifice defence.

Similarly, Floyd's defence-first style means his offence nowadays is woeful. Which is kind of a problem when you're involved in the 3 biggest PPVs in history.

At what point are we going to have an honest debate about Mayweather's style, which isn't based on blaming his opponents for making his ass less boring (which is the current justification).

I understand bragging rights are important in the world of Non Stop Boxing but at what point are people going to see Floyd's style for what it is? A migraine-inducing nightmare, a sterile style,cultivated perfectly to do enough to win the rounds without actually sitting down on your punches and looking to put a hurting on the other guy? If Mayweather was an emerging prospect with this style, he would be getting less traction than the Charlo brothers.

Why is it OK to pick holes in GGG's defence as a weakeness, but Mayweather's offence gets a pass? Why is defence valued more than offence?

Or do people think pot-shotting is effective offence?

Every time I read "best jab in boxing" I laugh.

But Golovkin's defense, obviously.

Comment

Mayweather's offence is not flawed he doesn't miss with his punches and he doesn't swings on the fences. He has a low output and pick his shots while he controls the pace but that doesn't make his offence flawed lol...
      And add the fact that he didn't start in welter but this is his 4th weight class. In superfeather (his starter weight class) he was way more offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Every time I read "best jab in boxing" I laugh.

But Golovkin's defense, obviously.
        Who has the best jab in boxing then? With that level of power, accuracy, control? Wlad maybe. Who else?

And how is Golovkin's defence more flawed? Not like he's getting touched up every second when he's in a fight with a big puncher. I vaguely remember Mayweather mounting a 45 second offence in Round 11 of the Pac fight before retreating to the usual farce.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
          Mayweather's offence is not flawed he doesn't miss with his punches and he doesn't swings on the fences. He has a low output and pick his shots while he controls the pace but that doesn't make his offence flawed lol...
          And add the fact that he didn't start in welter but this is his 4th weight class. In superfeather (his starter weight class) he was way more offensive.
          It depends on your definition of offence. Offence to me is the intention to hurt, not stifle and keep someone off you by making them re-set. The check-hooks he was throwing in the corner were simply to keep Pac off-balance so he could spin out of there. The straight-rights were to stop him from coming in.

Comment

Dumb question but I see what your aiming for. You just can't call Floyds offense flawed because you don't enjoy it. He picks his shots and accurate. That's effective offense and defense but I agree GGG's defense isn't terrible. Half the time he let's his opponent hit him just to show some drama before he ends it. He's just trying to give the fans what they want and at the same time make himself more vulnerable so top guys fight him.

Comment

GGG doesn't have a poor defence, it's just that he is a thrashing machine with a super hard punch and a cast iron chin so he can take liberties to deliver his own shots.

He can walk through the hardest punchers in his division, and take the hardest punches, and then deliver his own shots which no man his own size can really take.

Floyd on the other hand commands all the respect with his offense of a ****ing fairy, it's basically non-existent.

His chin is also largely untested because againsrt all hard punchers that have been able to land on him, he has ran like a *****!

Maidana was a serious trouble for him. Not to make that mistake again, he didn't even show up for the Pacquaio fight.

Fortunately he paid the right amount to the so-called "judges"

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
                Who has the best jab in boxing then? With that level of power, accuracy, control? Wlad maybe. Who else?

And how is Golovkin's defence more flawed? Not like he's getting touched up every second when he's in a fight with a big puncher. I vaguely remember Mayweather mounting a 45 second offence in Round 11 of the Pac fight before retreating to the usual farce.
                Wlad's jab is on a different stratosphere to Golovkin's.

Golovkin's jab isn't that impressive.

Golovkin's defense is more flawed because his defense isn't that good in general.

Floyd at his advantaged age is a lot more economical and more one dimensional with his offence than he used to be but he's still one of the most if not the most accurate and precise punchers in Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by $BloodyNate$ View Post
                  Dumb question but I see what your aiming for
                  What I am essentially getting at is this - wouldn't it be great if the boxing hipsters who think GGG's defence is trash also come out and say after the usual Floyd bore....."he should have done more to get the guy out of there. There has to be more than just doing enough"

It's the idea that defence is more respected than offence for some reason.

Comment

Offense isn't as rare or difficult as defense, great defense is generally the mark of a great fighter, even aggressive guys like Duran.

That said, Floyd isn't a big puncher in his fourth and fifth weight classes but his offense is brilliant and more efficient than Triple G or just about anybody else.

I think you're confusing boxing hipsters with people that actually know the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X