• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Symmetry View Post
      Thanks! Great breakdown and blog
      Cheers mate

Comment

• I'm starting to lean towards Canelo by decision. Unfortunately I think they might have waited Golovkin out. It's been 3 years since they started to talk about this fight. Back then, I had Golovkin without hesitation.

And even though Canelo hasn't been pulling up trees in beating the likes of Khan or Liam Smith, I think those 3 years have treated Golovkin worse. I'm seeing the same flaws across multiple fights.

What's keeping me on the fence is Golovkin's jab and Canelo's lack of stamina. Unless he finds it very easy to counter Golovkin's jab, which is possible but unlikely, then he will for the first time in his career be forced to work every minute of every round. I don't know how he will hold up, especially against a guy who will take the opportunities if they're presented to him. Whatever other flaws Golovkin might have, he's not gun shy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          I'm starting to lean towards Canelo by decision. Unfortunately I think they might have waited Golovkin out. It's been 3 years since they started to talk about this fight. Back then, I had Golovkin without hesitation.

And even though Canelo hasn't been pulling up trees in beating the likes of Khan or Liam Smith, I think those 3 years have treated Golovkin worse. I'm seeing the same flaws across multiple fights.

What's keeping me on the fence is Golovkin's jab and Canelo's lack of stamina. Unless he finds it very easy to counter Golovkin's jab, which is possible but unlikely, then he will for the first time in his career be forced to work every minute of every round. I don't know how he will hold up, especially against a guy who will take the opportunities if they're presented to him. Whatever other flaws Golovkin might have, he's not gun shy.
          what are golovkins flaws?

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
            In this fight, I think the most significant one is his tendency to freeze up when his opponent throws in the pocket. He doesn't slip shots, rather he puts his gloves up and waits for his opponent to finish their work. I accept the significance of Jacob's size, power etc, but that flaw was really exposed in their fight. When Jacobs stepped in to flurry, Golovkin could neither think nor act quickly enough to counter him.

Against Canelo that's a serious problem, because aside from pretty decent timing and countering, Canelo is a precise and fluid combination puncher. Better than anyone Golovkin has faced. If Golovkin lets Canelo tee off in the pocket as he has let many others do, Canelo will light him up.

The big question for me is how Canelo will cope with Golovkin as Golovkin moves forward behind the jab. If he doesn't find it too difficult to counter or to circle, then he will be able to pick his moments to step in. And if he can do that I think Golovkin would be fucked. Especially when fighting a guy who will have the crowd and the judges behind him.

Comment

• Canelo is going to get destroyed

First off, let me say I saw a recent high profile prediction on Canelo winning given his finesse with fighting come forward offensive fighters. Bringing in the idea that the defensive fighters he struggles with (Lara, Floyd and trout) do not at all represent Golovkins short sighted less defensively skilled style.

I completely disagree with that notion. Canelo is a flat footed fighter showing slick defensive prowess against boxer puncher/brawler opposition that are simply weak or overrated. Take Cotto, maybe the only true heavy hitter but vastly undersized and in that stage was a more reformed conservative boxer puncher. I didn't find it at all impressive Canelo, with a 25+ lb weight advantage, played a very defensive strategy to edge the smaller prodding Cotto in a close fight. He should have run him the **** over.
              Now let's look at Canelo against Lara or anyone with fast feet in a defensive mindset.. it was embarrassing. The heavy feat and coordination was definitely put on display in those instances.
              To encompass all of my reasoning and wrap this up Canelo is a very carefully managed fighter who has fought the right guys that they'd believe he'd beat and even then got out by the skin of his teeth. The reason and this is meant as the best case scenario/compliment to why Canelo doesn't overwhelm and take out his biggest opponents to date is possibly his very serious endurance problems. He gasses. But the dumb thing is why'll he takes his foot off the petal and loses momentum, he burns excess energy in unessary flashy slick movements.

So here it is. Golovkin is more experienced, better ring generaliship, heavier handed, more power, has been more dominant against bigger opposition than Canelo, has taken more heavy hayemakers with out faltering...
              Idk I mean I just don't see how Canelo can pull this off. If there is one thing that must be true about Canelo to win this fight, it's that he must have a good chin and physical durability to take the kind of power and operate at the same level going forward in following rounds.

Comment

• I don't think Canelo has the same one punch power as Lemieux, but he's a more skilled boxer, so he'll be able to create more opportunities to land. I don't, however, see GGG getting wobbled and put in danger in this fight. If Canelo wins it will be by a controversial decision...As I equally don't see Canelo completely outpointing GGG round after round. Canelo seems to have an iron chin, so I don't see him getting KO'd either... But If GGG starts landing bombs on Canelo, I see Canelo's corner throwing in the towel... Even if Canelo doesn't get wobbled and continues to fire back... the punches that GGG will land on Canelo will still look devasting...

It's possible Canelo takes a serious, sustained and dangerous beating even while fighting back and staying competitive... GGG will be coming forward like a tank, eating Canelo's shot, inflicting more damage on Canelo than Canelo does on GGG... Even if they land at a similar rate on each other, the shots by GGG will be much more dramatic looking (and this is why I think Canelo's corner might stop the fight.. it will be a shock to see Canelo to take such bombs for the first time in his career)

Comment

• Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
                  First off, let me say I saw a recent high profile prediction on Canelo winning given his finesse with fighting come forward offensive fighters. Bringing in the idea that the defensive fighters he struggles with (Lara, Floyd and trout) do not at all represent Golovkins short sighted less defensively skilled style.

I completely disagree with that notion. Canelo is a flat footed fighter showing slick defensive prowess against boxer puncher/brawler opposition that are simply weak or overrated. Take Cotto, maybe the only true heavy hitter but vastly undersized and in that stage was a more reformed conservative boxer puncher. I didn't find it at all impressive Canelo, with a 25+ lb weight advantage, played a very defensive strategy to edge the smaller prodding Cotto in a close fight. He should have run him the **** over.
                  Now let's look at Canelo against Lara or anyone with fast feet in a defensive mindset.. it was embarrassing. The heavy feat and coordination was definitely put on display in those instances.
                  To encompass all of my reasoning and wrap this up Canelo is a very carefully managed fighter who has fought the right guys that they'd believe he'd beat and even then got out by the skin of his teeth. The reason and this is meant as the best case scenario/compliment to why Canelo doesn't overwhelm and take out his biggest opponents to date is possibly his very serious endurance problems. He gasses. But the dumb thing is why'll he takes his foot off the petal and loses momentum, he burns excess energy in unessary flashy slick movements.

So here it is. Golovkin is more experienced, better ring generaliship, heavier handed, more power, has been more dominant against bigger opposition than Canelo, has taken more heavy hayemakers with out faltering...
                  Idk I mean I just don't see how Canelo can pull this off. If there is one thing that must be true about Canelo to win this fight, it's that he must have a good chin and physical durability to take the kind of power and operate at the same level going forward in following rounds.
                  I agree 100%. GGG should win via KO.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
                    Speed, but good thing canelo is slow too

Comment

• i got ggg knocking him down twice and winning a decision. this was my thought 3 years ago as he was the right side of 35. since, he has aged and theres more if a chance canelo gets rounds. im thinking 9-3 type fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X