Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this but what's meant when boxers are called "strong"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
    Yeah I know what "strong" means but when a fighter calls another fighter strong is it mainly about his ability to dominate clinches, push opponents to the ropes, or punching power?

Or is it a combination of all these things?

Because when describing power punchers I've heard fighters say stuff like "he's strong" but I was under the impression strength in boxing was more about what I mentioned in the first paragraph. For example Margarito and Floyd are not the biggest punchers but they're described as being very "strong", what makes people describe them as strong? their power or physicality?
    It means Puerto Rican.

Comment

Yes it is a difference Between a guy being Physically Strong and hard to push around inside compared to a guy being a Power Puncher

Timothy Bradley is Strong Physically but is not a Power Puncher

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
        Great example is Shawn Porter, he's very physically strong but doesn't have amazing power.
        And a great reverse example would be Andy Lee. Amazing pop but no one would ever describe him as particularly strong.

Comment

It's primarily core strength.

A powerful core allows you to remain balanced, it gives you a low center of gravity. All that pushing, pulling, smothering, that's core strength.

Comment

Working...
          X