Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this but what's meant when boxers are called "strong"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this but what's meant when boxers are called "strong"

Yeah I know what "strong" means but when a fighter calls another fighter strong is it mainly about his ability to dominate clinches, push opponents to the ropes, or punching power?

Or is it a combination of all these things?

Because when describing power punchers I've heard fighters say stuff like "he's strong" but I was under the impression strength in boxing was more about what I mentioned in the first paragraph. For example Margarito and Floyd are not the biggest punchers but they're described as being very "strong", what makes people describe them as strong? their power or physicality?

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
    Yeah I know what "strong" means but when a fighter calls another fighter strong is it mainly about his ability to dominate clinches, push opponents to the ropes, or punching power?

Because when describing power punchers I've heard fighters say stuff like "he's strong" but I was under the impression strength in boxing was more about what I mentioned in the first paragraph. For example Margarito and Floyd are not the biggest punchers but they're described as being very "strong", what makes people describe them as strong? their power or physicality?
    Depends, the word is usually used interchangeably between power punchers and fighters strong in the clinch. I usually associate strong with the latter.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a big believer in the separation of the terms 'strength' and 'power'. The ability to move your opponent around the ring, push him off you successfully and repeatedly, etc., that doesn't come from the same place that power comes from IMO

EDIT: Was just looking at TS' post and the fact that fighters themselves use 'strong' to mean different things might just indicate that either they have different ideas, that they're not particularly erudite, or that they're not as obsessed with breaking down the game in the same way that fans are. Maidana's not a massive boxing fan like we all are, but he knows what an opponent's strength MEANS in practical and instinctive terms; he doesn't need to determine it logically like the more theoretical trainers and boxing writers do.
      Last edited by gingerbreadman; 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

physicality of course. i dont think there is a correlation between body strength and punching power, the two are completely independent imo. u can be a great puncher but still get pushed around by a stronger person ie. muhammad ali vs george foreman

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post

It's punching power I've seen skinny little dudes called strong due to their knock out punch

Comment

Physicality as another poster mentioned. It has nothing to do with punching power, see Ward and Bradley for example. People falsely use it as an interchangable word for punching power though, but its two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by MrP4P View Post
              Physicality as another poster mentioned. It has nothing to do with punching power, see Ward and Bradley for example. People falsely use it as an interchangable word for punching power though, but its two different things.
              Correct. Pernell Whitaker and Muhammad Ali weren't big punchers for their weight class, but they were very strong men. It showed in their fights.

Comment

Pacquiao uses the word for his stamina. When he says he's strong he means he can go non stop for 12 rounds. The same strength from 1 to 12.

Comment

Great example is Shawn Porter, he's very physically strong but doesn't have amazing power.

Comment

The guys in the gym I go too often use the word 'strong' to describe some of the other guys they have fought. Like if I ask how a fight went chances are the opponent would be called strong. I think they just mean 'good', but maybe your situation is different.

Comment

Working...
                    X