Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev would brutally KO Roy Jones JR prime for prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Roy didn't have a suspect chin. He suffered from going to heavyweight and then boiling back down to light heavyweight. Roy was old and out of his prime when he got KO'd and once his chin was cracked that was it. Roy was too fast, too skilled, and hit hard enough to KO Kovalev in his prime. I'd bet on Roy UD but wouldn't be surprised if either KO'd each other. Kovalev would have a punchers chance and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
      Kovalev would be a "make em look like nobody" victim if he faced a prime RJJ. You REALLY don't comprehend just how gifted a fighter prime Roy was.
      With or without his steroids?

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
        You're correct. Roy's chin couldn't handle Kovalev's power. The only problem for Kovalev is - would he be able to land on prime RJJ's chin. I don't think so. I think it would make for a very interesting fight though.
        Kovalev doesn't have to land on the chin though, he broke Agnew's ribs, he went to hospital and the shot didn't look that hard, Caparello got the same treatment

Comment

First off, Jones was never off his feet or badly hurt or stopped when he was in his prime so his chin was proven. Second, Kovalev would be hitting air. Jones speed and reflexes were off the charts and Kovalev would be overwhelmed by what Jones brought to the table when he was PFP #1. Lastly, isn't Jason the same guy who a month ago said he was inspired by Adonis Stevenson???

Comment

While I don't think Roy would be able to just toy with Kovalev like he did with a lot of his opponents, I have no doubt Roy would win this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
              He has got skills. And raising his level of skill for Hopkins certainly showed that.

(you gonna come at me that Hopkins was shot and way past prime then in any of his previous fights?)
              No I'm going to come at you with prime Roy beat a younger Hopkins convincingly too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 117-111 View Post
                Based on what?

"Mang Kovalev punch harrrrrddd. If he connects Roy go bye bye"
                He doesn't just punch hard though, he is by common consensus the hardest pfp puncher in the sport of boxing today, and there are a lot of boxers out there.

It's not just about power, but at times Kovalev's power seems other-worldly. He's breaking opponents ribs with jabs, dropping them with innocuous looking shots, and KO-ing guys who are known to be very durable.

David Jackson back in 2013:

"Trust me, he's the real deal at 175. The kid that he knocked out before Lionell Thompson, I heard recently that he told another guy in Florida, he's been in with Bernard, he's sparred with Dawson, he's sparred with Pascal, he's sparred with a lot of light heavyweights. He said no one, no one hits like Kovalev at all. And I believe that. Kovalev, when he punches, you can hear it in the audience. He punches that good."
                That kind of power makes him live in any fight.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 03-29-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shmurda View Post
                  I'm sorry, but all u are giving me are excuses. Excuses that in the long run don't matter. In fact, this is the first time I've heard anyone discredit Roys win over Toney. So kudos for that. Smh
                  Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't make it true.

Excuses that in the long run don't matter.
                  But of course they matter. If they didn't matter then Antonio Tarver >>> Roy Jones forever and ever in history. Knocked his ass out and won the triology. Roy's coming down from heavyweight after all doesn't matter in the long run. The guy who said he is kicking his ass did just that. Any excuses tonight Roy? Wink Wink.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                    Prime Roy didn't have a suspect chin. He suffered from going to heavyweight and then boiling back down to light heavyweight. Roy was old and out of his prime when he got KO'd
                    Hey, no excuses remember. James Toney doesn't get the benefit of doubt for his weight problems, and is just another victim of Roy's greatness remember.

Therefore, those are just excuses and Antion Tarver >> Roy Jones in Light-heavyweight greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 117-111 View Post
                      No I'm going to come at you with prime Roy beat a younger Hopkins convincingly too.
                      Triangle theories don't work. And Hopkins is a complicated case to be examined. He is a late bloomer.

Who was better? The young, still growing and learning Hopkins of the mid-90's or the mid to late 40's Hopkins of the post-2010 era? Both have their flaws.

Neither Kovalev nor Roy fought a JUST-RIGHT Hopkins and that's not even a excuse for Hopkins because he doesn't need excuses like Roy Jones or James Toney. He is after all the one who never got KO'd no matter at what point of his career, or straight up dominated (that is until the Kovalev fight of course).

Comment

Working...
                      X