Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good was Gerald McClellan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always saw G-Man as one of the most vicious, brutal fighters to ever step in the ring next to Roberto Duran and a prime Mike Tyson. He was that ferocious.
    G-Man was an unpolished gem who had the potential to be the best MW, just needed more refinement in his technique and his puncher mentality. He showed that he was capable of boxing with his range but fell in love with his power so much to the point that he wanted to get his opponents out in 3 rounds or less, which was his downfall.

Had it not been for his fight with a huge puncher like Julian Jackson (who basically shook off Jackson's best punches like they were nothing) I don't think the blood clot in his head would have happened.

Comment

Not as good as Nigel Benn.

The guy relied on his power to much, zero head movement, very upright

Comment

Very good fighter and Benn's victory over him should rank right up there, despite the tragic ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
          Might have won if e didn't get that tragic blood clot mid fight. I don't know how noone noticed him blinking so much and his gum shield hanging out.
          I watched the fight live, I noticed it. Very poor ref, making him fight when he didn't want to.

Maybe this is why British ref like the early stoppage these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
            Might have won if e didn't get that tragic blood clot mid fight. I don't know how noone noticed him blinking so much and his gum shield hanging out.
            Actually he use to blink like that a lot way before the Benn fight watch some of his old fights and interviews after fights.

Comment

Originally posted by fish262 View Post
              Actually he use to blink like that a lot way before the Benn fight watch some of his old fights and interviews after fights.
              Still doesn't excuse the incompetent refereeing in general from a non englosh speaking referee

Comment

Originally posted by porknchili View Post
                Basically he's what Chavez Jr. fails to even execute correctly. He drained himself down more than a play-pool in the Sahara.

Very good potential, MASSIVE power, crazy good chin, but lacked real discipline and made ****** choices in terms of training. The idiot basically trained himself and did his own hand wrapping for the Benn fight since his "trainer" was completely ******ed.
                Was his trainer a Donn King plant?

Comment

Who shot in faster or harder than Gerald McClellan when throwing his powerful straight right hand. Then put his hook behind it or even his viscious hook to the body, damaging stuff there. He was an awesome offensive fighter, all around fighter. He did let the defense go at times while he was letting his hands go, but that's one thing that I liked about him. He always came to fight!

Comment

They called him "Mini Mike Tyson" for a reason. He might have won by 1st round KO, if the ref didn't stall and get in the way. Good fighter, but good fighters need good trainers, he messed up big dropping Manny.
                    Another Don King fighter that pissed his career away thanks to King.
                    If he beat Roy before the Olympics (Roy won easy) and was sparring Tommy Hearns at 16, that would mean he was the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
                      They called him "Mini Mike Tyson" for a reason. He might have won by 1st round KO, if the ref didn't stall and get in the way. Good fighter, but good fighters need good trainers, he messed up big dropping Manny.
                      Another Don King fighter that pissed his career away thanks to King.
                      If he beat Roy before the Olympics (Roy won easy) and was sparring Tommy Hearns at 16, that would mean he was the real deal.
                      That ref was the absolute worst. I watch that fight once a year and am annoyed even more everytime I see him.

Comment

Working...
                      X