No announcement yet.

Define the distinction between the hardcore vs armchair fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casual Boxing Fans
    A casual boxing fan primarily watches only big fights, but can also refer to boxing fans who watches less frequently than other fans. Casual boxing fans have usually very limited understanding of the sport. Casual boxing fans' demographics also vary greatly from those of other boxing fans.

Core Boxing Fans
    A core or mid-core boxing fan is a fan with a wider range of interests than a casual boxing fan and is more likely to enthusiastically watch different types of fights, but without the amount of time spent and sense of dedication of a hardcore boxing fan. The mid-core boxing fan enjoys fights but may not spend as much time on boxing as a hardcore boxing fan.

Hardcore Boxing Fans
    A hardcore boxing fan eats, sleeps and breathes boxing. Boxing is his main interest and he usually scrutinizes many areas and aspects of the sport. He has usually also some understanding of the politics and promotion involved in the sport.

Pro Boxing Fans
    A professional boxing fan watches fights and deeply studies them to understand fighter's game plans, weaknesses and strengths, and then usually discusses his conclusions with other pro boxing fans before and after the fights. Professional boxing fans are not necessarily in the industry themselves, but many are.

A newbie is a novice or newcomer to watching boxing, or to boxing in general.

Retro Boxing Fans
    A retro boxing fan is a fan preferring to watch and study retro boxing matches. They may also be called classic boxing fans or old-school boxing fans. These fans are usually interested in comparing fighters from different eras, and are sometimes skilled at putting together lists of ATGs and All Time Top Ten Lists at each weight class.

Girl Boxing Fans
    A girl boxing fan usually became a fan because her boyfriend was a fan of boxing, or because some boxers are sexier than others.

Gay Boxing Fans
    A gay boxing fan usually watches because some boxers are sexier than others.

Black Only Boxing Fans
    A black only boxing fan is usually a mid-core boxing fan who only watches because black boxers are perceived as better than others.

Patriotic Boxing Fans
    A patriotic boxing fan is a casual or mid-core boxing fan who is only interested in fighters with the same nationality or ethnic background as himself.

Comment

Hardcore fans complain and hate all fights and those involved. Pretty much EVERYTHING.

Casual just wanna see fights.

Im in-between. I follow this sport like a religion but like to watch fights.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        unless it is of major significance, i am done doing this. i'm not talking about tactical fights. i'm talking about bad fights. they exist.

you don't need to waste your friday nights watching awful fights on showbox or espn to be a "hardcore fan." you just don't. i am done doing it. i get up and leave my house, move on to something more meaningful to do at home, whatever. get outside and do something more productive than watching a bad boxing match. watch an old, good boxing match. you will get 100X as much out of your time watching joe louis than you will watching mercito gesta.
        Agree, no point suffering through snoozers just for hardcore credentials on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
          Agree, no point suffering through snoozers just for hardcore credentials on the internet.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by f15bone View Post
            Casual Fan = 90% of ticket & ppv buyers...

Hardcore Fan = 10% of ticket & ppv buyers...

Most people who watch boxing ARE NOT fanatics...they usually only know a handful of fighters by face & even fewer by name...they watch because it's a combat sport & we as humans beings love that ****...Boxing has a rich & storied past that carries over to present time as well...many folks can't seem to shake the nostalgic aspect either...they speak of the good ole days, crap on the current state of affairs in the sport, swear to never watch another fight as long as they live yet seem to tune in whenever there is a big fight on...
            This. Casual fans are the lifeblood of boxing because casual fans actually go buy tickets in support of their fighter.

I would go farther and say that casual fans are fans of specific fighters while hardcore fans are fans of the sport as a whole. Unfortunately it's the first group that really drives ticket sales in this sport.

Comment

unless it is of major significance, i am done doing this. i'm not talking about tactical fights. i'm talking about bad fights. they exist.

you don't need to waste your friday nights watching awful fights on showbox or espn to be a "hardcore fan." you just don't. i am done doing it. i get up and leave my house, move on to something more meaningful to do at home, whatever. get outside and do something more productive than watching a bad boxing match. watch an old, good boxing match. you will get 100X as much out of your time watching joe louis than you will watching mercito gesta.
              Thats what I was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Hardcore fans watch boxing on tv and attend live events when possible.

Casual fans don't go to fights and don't watch fights unless they are out and the fight just happens to be on.
                I agree, casual fans are just looking for some entertainment and sometimes it happens to be boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by I Love Jesus! View Post
                  Well the "hardcore" are just fanboys calling people armchair fans to make themselves feel better.
                  Ha ha ha...very funny.

Comment

lol. please.

you should call me an armchair fan, then. i had media credentials for several years, and have put thousands of hours into following this sport and its history, but what do i know? basically every member of a major broadcast team, most of the top flight promotors, virtually every manager and trainer in the sport should be called an armchair fan, too.

you don't need to care about who holds alphabet titles in divisions that hardly ever produce decent fighters. you just don't. you're wasting your time that could be spent on looking into and following more relevant aspects of the sport or its history, or getting outside.

Sarcasm bro. I can't even name one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                      Hardcore fans complain and hate all fights and those involved. Pretty much EVERYTHING.

Casual just wanna see fights.

Im in-between. I follow this sport like a religion but like to watch fights.
                      If you post on a boxing forum you're obviously a hard core fan.

A casual fan just watches the PPV events or maybe a Show or HBO card here or there. Or maybe is a fan of one or two fighters.

There is really nothing else to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X