No announcement yet.

James Kirkland vs Canelo Alvarez Discussion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Thrilling and brutal stuff although it pretty much went to script. If you come at Canelo he will look really good, especially if you have zero defence like Kirkland but if you can move and stick a good jab then Canelo will struggle.
    That's why Cotto is a good opponent. Cotto isn't a stick-and-move fighter, but he has a good jab and his defense is leagues above Kirkland's.

Comment

• It's an interesting fight. Cotto is the best boxer-puncher Canelo will have faced by some distance. I think the size difference will he too much for Cotto in the end. Pressing Canelo will be too dangerous and he won't be able to win rounds decisively from the outside. Interesting fight, but Canelo should take it.

Comment

• I am desperate to see Cotto-Canelo.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I am desperate to see Cotto-Canelo.
          As a boxing fan, how can you not be?

Comment

• My Post Fight Thoughts!

http://youtu.be/eugcE5Afu1U

Here's my post fight thoughts .

Comment

• Kirkland had an injured shoulder. The win doesn't count.

Comment

• Kirkland's a warrior for sure, but he has ZERO peripheral defense . Looping, wrap-around, uppercuts, he can't see any of that coming. Good news is that he's a guaranteed, "make me look good" opponent for the next few years. Cotto, GGG, Thurman, Porter...he'll keep getting gatekeeper fights as long as he can stay out of legal trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                  That's why Cotto is a good opponent. Cotto isn't a stick-and-move fighter, but he has a good jab and his defense is leagues above Kirkland's.
                  He won't move the while fight but he'll fight smart he knows you can't stay in front of this kid for too long. Canelo doesn't have the stamina to put pressure on Cotto for 12 rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                    Kirkland had an injured shoulder. The win doesn't count.
                    Too bad he [Canelo] was able to KO an easy, injured opponent and someone else couldn't doe.

LOL, just them putting that story out there has discredited yet another Floyd win. Give it a few months, enough people will cry for a rematch so Floyd can get a second chance to do it right this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHO_RULEZ View Post
                      Kirkland's a warrior for sure, but he has ZERO peripheral defense . Looping, wrap-around, uppercuts, he can't see any of that coming. Good news is that he's a guaranteed, "make me look good" opponent for the next few years. Cotto, GGG, Thurman, Porter...he'll keep getting gatekeeper fights as long as he can stay out of legal trouble.

I agree SHO, even Kirkland's corner was screaming at him to keep his hands up!!l

As long as it lasted, What a fight!! Kellerman was right on the money when he said " If the fight last week put you to sleep, this is a fight where someone's going to sleep".

Kirkland has serious heart. The shots he took in Rd1 & 2 would have stopped most fighters on the spot. At the same time the difference in skill level was clear.

Aside from heart, Kirkland has absolutely ZERO DEFENCE plus no head movement, literally a walking punching bag. His only shot of winning was to KO Caenlo. Kirkland being a heavy-handed southpaw he had a punchers chance I guess, but that in itself was going to be extremely difficult, highly unlikely, and borderline impossible.

and What a KO by Canelo! WOW. The uppercut and right hand were DEVASTATING. BRUTAL KO!! The way Kirkland's body dropped was scary. Hope he's ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X