Collapse
No announcement yet.

The underappreciated boxing brilliance of Erislandy Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landy is a fantastic boxer and well skilled. However he has extended periods of time against top fighters when he moves too much and doesn't fight enough. And in today's fight game, not everyone gets to get away with that kind of movement.

Some fights look almost identical with a fighter moving and landing more and looking good although somewhat excessive. However depending on the fighter who's moving, fight officials will call 2 different type of fights.

Comment

He was terrible against Canelo. That was running - don't give me any of this hipster nonsense about the sweet science and hit-and-not-be-hit.

I understand fighters have to do what they have to do to win, but that performance against Canelo was terribly boring. Non-engagement is boring. Excessive movement is boring. Put it this way - if Canelo moved like Lara did in that fight....there's no fight.

Honestly, that kind of performance is all smoke and mirrors....I wouldn't call it cowardly, but there is something quite deceiving about how Lara fought. It essentially puts all the onus on Canelo to make the fight, to engage - meanwhile he's moving around like crazy, pot-shotting while Canelo is trying to run right after him, off-balance because this dude is skating across the ring. I know Lara would say it was exploiting Canelo's style and flat/slow footed nature - but it's kinda bull****....the easy option. Which is harder, really? Trying to flag a dude down who doesn't want to engage, or running around, BEING the one who doesn't want to engage, waiting for that moment the dude is off-balance from chasing you.

Saying ALL that....I still think Lara is a solid part of the boxing landscape. I would love to see a GGG fight, because he cuts off the ring better than Saul, and I would be curious to see if he could actually knock Lara out.....don't get me wrong, it would be a hella stinky fight but the curiosity in me would like to see GGG have to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        More accomplished but his style played into Rigos hands. You don't always look sensational when your constantly fighting the best.

And Rigo been put on his ass more than Lara, against lesser opposition in fewer fights.
        Fighting the best? You mean like Nelo has been doing, cause it sure as heck isn't Lara who's fighting the best.

And, being put on your arse means nothing. Marquez has been put on his arse many times, he's a HOF. Trinidad was put on his arse many times, he's a HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
          Fighting the best? You mean like Nelo has been doing, cause it sure as heck isn't Lara who's fighting the best.

And, being put on your arse means nothing. Marquez has been put on his arse many times, he's a HOF. Trinidad was put on his arse many times, he's a HOF.
          They fought the same people. Lol. But this isnt about Canelo.

All I'm saying is when Rigo struggles, he gets excused. When Lara struggles, against higher quality fighters, people turn on him.

Comment

Very unappreciated. He should have a win over Alvarez on his resume.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              Very unappreciated. He should have a win over Alvarez on his resume.
              lara didn't throw a lot against canelo I think that and his excessive movement is why people call it running rigo,mayweather usually stand in front of their opponents I have yet to see rigo or mayweather "run" but lara was literally throwing 10 punches a round I could be wrong but that's at least how I remember it..Lara uses the basic boxing fundamentals I haven't seen him box like a rigo or mayweather again I could be wrong ive never seen his fights more than once nothing wrong with moving,boxing being defensive, but at least be offensive aswell

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                Fighters like him get little credit on this forum because the majority of people on here know little about boxing, as soon as they see a mover they just label him a "runner" and that the end of it.
                pacquiaos a mover. 6 kd's last fight

laras a mover. mustve been at least 6 rounds vs canelo where he didnt throw a single punch. lol. lara would def do good in that nyc marathon doe, i give him props there

watch boxing a lot more closely nd you'll be able to distinguish runners from movers. trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post

Lol canelo is fighting Kirkland foh and Canelo got a gift vs trout. Who Lara manslaughtered

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                    Lol canelo is fighting Kirkland foh and Canelo got a gift vs trout. Who Lara manslaughtered
                    Funny how after the fight Austin Trout admitted that Canelo was the better man than night.

But I guess it's your opinion that matters.

Comment

In my eyes, Lara ran vs Canelo. I know to some people that makes me seem like I don't appreciate defensive fighters for some reason...but Rigo and Floyd don't run the way Lara ran that night. Just because you point out that someone was running in a fight doesn't mean you only like stand-still brawlers.

Comment

Working...
                      X