Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr. was a 1000x more entertaining than Floyd Mayweather in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thread is more about Roy Jones excitement, but let me just bash Floyd while i'm at it, making it 50% Roy, 50% how boring Floyd is. So actually, my thread is not only about Roy, my bad. I confused myself for a sec.

Comment

Floyd couldn't carry Roy's jockstrap. All thanks goes to Larry Holmes.

Comment

I honestly made this thread so I can get green k from reed and it failed me. Boo hoo.

Comment

That's preference, I found prime Mayweather more entertaining to watch, so much for fact

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            My thread is more about Roy Jones excitement, but let me just bash Floyd while i'm at it, making it 50% Roy, 50% how boring Floyd is. So actually, my thread is not only about Roy, my bad. I confused myself for a sec.
            Exactly. TS is a ****ing hater.

Comment

Originally posted by Dachozen1 View Post
              Roy was not the same fighter after coming down from Heavyweight, but he still beat Tarver with no energy. Add Tarver to the list that includes Tarver, BHOP, Toney, Hill, Griffin (whom beat James Toney twice) Roy also whooped Eric Harding, a fighter who beat Tarver. Roy also put a whoopin on Julio César González the man who gave Dariusz Michalczewski his first loss. And if you take away that disqualification, Roy would've been 50-0 with 40 KO's before his first real loss. He dominated great fighters. There's a reason why Tarver, BHOP & Toney are still fighting, to make sure they have a greater legacy than Roy Jones Jr.
              Tarver knocked him out with one punch- out cold. Tarver was never a big knockout puncher. Johnson did the same thing. Once Jones lost his speed, he did not have much. Tarver then went on to beat him again in a rubber match. What other noteworthy boxers did Tarver beat? Plus Hopkins did beat Jones in a rematch when both were over the hill(and admittedly he cheated like hell like he always does while Roy was a clean fighter and I do respect that especially in this era). Other than Toney(who arguably won one of the fights with Griffin), who did Griffin beat? Hill as I said was over the hill and I don't see why he is in the HOF since the biggest opponent he had was an over the hill Thomas Hearns who easily handled him. Gonzalez is definitely a feather in his cap, but considering he beat Michalczewski at the end of his run does not mean he was a great fighter by any means. To say he dominated GREAT fighters is an over statement. He obviously had lots of talent as an athlete, but as a boxer I think he was very much overrated. He also seemed to jump up to Light Heavyweight where he knew the competition in those days was not as fierce there as at super middleweight where he could have fought Benn or Eubanks to help his legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                cos he's the bestest ever ever ever EVAH and people make threads because they're HATERZZZZZZZ.
                For a guy who have had enough of Floyd threads you posted 3 times on the first page alone

relevancy on the subject of the thread 5%

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  Tarver knocked him out with one punch- out cold. Tarver was never a big knockout puncher. Johnson did the same thing. Once Jones lost his speed, he did not have much. Tarver then went on to beat him again in a rubber match. What other noteworthy boxers did Tarver beat? Plus Hopkins did beat Jones in a rematch when both were over the hill(and admittedly he cheated like hell like he always does while Roy was a clean fighter and I do respect that especially in this era). Other than Toney(who arguably won one of the fights with Griffin), who did Griffin beat? Hill as I said was over the hill and I don't see why he is in the HOF since the biggest opponent he had was an over the hill Thomas Hearns who easily handled him. Gonzalez is definitely a feather in his cap, but considering he beat Michalczewski at the end of his run does not mean he was a great fighter by any means. To say he dominated GREAT fighters is an over statement. He obviously had lots of talent as an athlete, but as a boxer I think he was very much overrated. He also seemed to jump up to Light Heavyweight where he knew the competition in those days was not as fierce there as at super middleweight where he could have fought Benn or Eubanks to help his legacy.
                  Roy was past his prime when he came down from Heavyweight. He was no longer the same fighter he once was. Around that time he was making songs for the club, had nothing to prove. Tarver was calling him out, dropped weight and beat him with no energy, and it was clear that Roy was past his prime. Roy wasn't the most technical boxer, but he was very intelligent & athletic fighter. Tarver's still fighting now. Guys Roy fought is way better than the fighters of today, he dominated James Toney, Lacy, Gonzales (who did beat Glen Johnson), Hill, & Trinidad and beat BHOP with a broken hand. If he stayed as a Super middleweight Benn & Eubanks would've lost. They didn't have anywhere near the speed or the chin to keep Roy off. Roy in his prime was a different animal. He was no Adrien Broner...Roy's a H.O.F. You bring up Roy's losses as if he was still in his prime. If you don't count the disqualification he would've been 50-0 with 40 KO's and a multiple champ at different weight classes before his first real loss.
                  Last edited by Dachozen1; 01-24-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dachozen1 View Post
                    Roy was past his prime when he came down from Heavyweight. He was no longer the same fighter he once was. Around that time he was making songs for the club, had nothing to prove. Tarver was calling him out, dropped weight and beat him with no energy, and it was clear that Roy was past his prime. Roy wasn't the most technical boxer, but he was very intelligent & athletic fighter. Tarver's still fighting now. Guys Roy fought is way better than the fighters of today, he dominated James Toney, Lacy, Gonzales (who did beat Glen Johnson), Hill, & Trinidad and beat BHOP with a broken hand. If he stayed as a Super middleweight Benn & Eubanks would've lost. They didn't have anywhere near the speed or the chin to keep Roy off. Roy in his prime was a different animal. He was no Adrien Broner...Roy's a H.O.F. You bring up Roy's losses as if he was still in his prime. If you don't count the disqualification he would've been 50-0 with 40 KO's and a multiple champ at different weight classes before his first real loss.
                    Well to be specific, Trinidad was coming off a 3-year layoff and his fight with Roy was his first and only fight at super middleweight. He just was not big enough to compete at that weight. Calzaghe was the one to take all the wind out of Lacy's sails. After that, he was nothing. "Great" fighters such as Jermain Taylor, Dhafir Smith and Umberto Savigne also beat Lacy once Calzaghe was done with him. Calzhaghe is another guy Roy got dominated by. Toney also was tailor made for Jones. He wanted guys to come at him where he could lie on the ropes and counter which was the last thing Jones was going to do. Otis Grant was not a bad fighter although stiff, but Roy took care of him and he destroyed Griffin in the rematch which was impressive. However, before his prime was over, he faced superstars Richard Frazier, old Reggie Johnson, David Telesco, Richard Hall, Eric Harding, Derrick Harmon, Gonzalez, Glen Kelly and Clinton Woods. Sure, all big names. Roy Jones sidestepped tougher fights to play around on top of the p4p lists, abusing the privilege often given to fighters like himself since the boxing p4p world seems obsessed with having an American on top, just like today.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal7 View Post
                      Can anybody deny this? I think it's just a straight up fact.

http://youtu.be/KPU5qFJAJGg

If Roy was in his prime today Mayweather would still be fighting on HBO after dark

Comment

Working...
                      X