Comments Thread For: Golden Boy inks Extension with Lucas Matthysse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golden Boy inks Extension with Lucas Matthysse

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...year-extension

Junior welterweight contender Lucas Matthysse, one of boxing's most fearsome punchers, signed a five-year contract extension Thursday with Golden Boy Promotions, president Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN.com.
    "Lucas Matthysse is extremely happy with Golden Boy Promotions and he wants to retire with us," De La Hoya said. "I'm extremely happy that he's a loyal fighter and person who understands the value of having a promoter on a long term contract in order for us to keep building him and get him the fights he deserves."
    Matthysse is one of the few fighters Golden Boy has under contract who is also with adviser Al Haymon. Two weeks ago, as part of a $50 million arbitration settlement with former Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, De La Hoya cut ties with numerous Haymon fighters the company had been promoting despite not having promotional agreements with them.

Lucas getting paid is my guess, but this probably kills any NBC fights

Comment

oh and brickcityboxing or whatever your name is, remember when i schooled you on who Matthysse's real manager was? How it was the guy in Argentina and not Haymon?

However, De La Hoya pulled a surprise by re-signing Matthysse. He said he made the deal with Mario Arano, Matthysse's manager and promoter in Matthysse's native Argentina rather than Haymon.
      "Mario Arano is his manager and we did a deal with his manager," De La Hoya said. "Al Haymon is an adviser to Mario and Lucas. We went directly to his manager and his manager and Lucas are loyal to us. We built Lucas Matthysse and got him the fights that have put him in this position, therefore he re-signed with us because he wants to continue on this path to the end of his career."

Comment

So is he still with Haymon or not? You'd have to think not if he extended with GBP.

We'll probably never see Matthysse v Broner now but it does open the door to Matthysse v Pacquiao at some point - maybe next?

I always thought Lucas would stay with GBP because Oscar De La Hoya was his hero growing up.

Comment

Nice move by GB. Props to them for the signing. Proved me wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            So is he still with Haymon or not? You'd have to think not if he extended with GBP.

We'll probably never see Matthysse v Broner now but it does open the door to Matthysse v Pacquiao at some point - maybe next?

I always thought Lucas would stay with GBP because Oscar De La Hoya was his hero growing up.
            yeah we'll never see the Broner fight now

according to Dan Rafael and Oscar, Haymon is only Lucas' advisor, Mario Arano (AranoBox in Argentina) is his manager and has the decision making control.

Comment

WAR OSCAR!!!!

I do feel torn on this though... Matthysse dreamed of fights that were only possible by joining Haymon (Danny rematch/Mayweather fight). I don't know how Oscar locked him down but good for him, not to good for Matthysse IMO considering Haymon has the best fighters between 140-147. Maybe he promised him a Pacquiao fight. I'm guessing Oscar will use Matthysse at some point to elevate one of his prospects.

Comment

matthysse you just lost your shot to become a premier boxing champion!

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  matthysse you just lost your shot to become a premier boxing champion!
                  he also gave himself a better chance to fight Pacquiao or Provo though

but i agree, the better fights are on the other side.. but he does have a few options on the HBO/Top Rank side

Lucas vs Tim Bradley, oh god that would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                    yeah we'll never see the Broner fight now

according to Dan Rafael and Oscar, Haymon is only Lucas' advisor, Mario Arano (AranoBox in Argentina) is his manager and has the decision making control.
                    Not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed.

Potential match-ups?

Matthysse v Provodnikov, Bradley, Pacquiao, Herrera, Algieri, Vargas, Postol, Rios, Khabib, Alvarado, Marquez.

With Haymon it would have been:

Matthysse v Broner, Garcia rematch and an outside shot of Mayweather

Probably the right decision from Lucas, misses out on Broner which is okay since Broner is not great but he'll never be able to avenge the Garcia defeat, then again who cares if he can get Pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
                    X