No announcement yet.

Comparing Michael Grant and Deontay Wilder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Stiverne is not overrated because most people don't think much of him. He's not great but he has power, chin, and counter punching skills. I thought he would beat Wilder but Wilder is better than I thought.

On the other hand, Golota's claim to fame is two losses. You claiming he was "waaaaay" better shows who is truly overrated. What else did he ever do that impressed you so much?

I'm pretty sure Stiverne would not have quit against Michael Grant who didn't punch as hard as Wilder does.
    That's just triangle theories now man. If we take the standing of the individual at the time, Golota was a top contender while Stiverne was a paper champ...let's say Stiverne goes on to obscurity now and loses some more fights, it will be the same scenario where you could say "what did Stiverne ever do except winner a paper title v fatboy Arreola for 1 fight and lose it straight after?"

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
      That's just triangle theories now man. If we take the standing of the individual at the time, Golota was a top contender while Stiverne was a paper champ...let's say Stiverne goes on to obscurity now and loses some more fights, it will be the same scenario where you could say "what did Stiverne ever do except winner a paper title v fatboy Arreola for 1 fight and lose it straight after?"
      I agree that triangle theories are not correct - here is one Golota beat kevin McBride after Tyson already lost to McBride but previously Golota quit against Tyson which after was rules a no contest...oh god I have gone cross eyed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
        I agree that triangle theories are not correct - here is one Golota beat kevin McBride after Tyson already lost to McBride but previously Golota quit against Tyson which after was rules a no contest...oh god I have gone cross eyed!!!
        Haha damn dude don't do that shit i'm becoming delirious

Comment

Haha damn dude don't do that shit i'm becoming delirious
          How about this one Ross Purity beat Wladmir and Michael Grant beat Ross Purity so Michael Grant could best Wlad right? ha ha ha

Comment

I took a look back out of interest to see Grant's career up to the Lennox fight, and his big test prior to that fight was his matchup against Golota, who up to that point had only really lost 1 fight to Lennox (in terms of actually getting bombed out, not DQing himself...). Now, in my opinion, that Golota was a much better win than Stiverne. Grant followed up his best win by getting blasted out early by an ATG, his next step up.

I think Wilder v Wlad will be a similar scenario, with the young talent coming off a good win and more hype, being blasted out by the ATG.

Agree/disagree?

I dont agree

Comment

Dc
              It's not a triangle theory. The point was that Golota could not take punishment or pressure without self destructing. He's not a better fighter than Stiverne when he quits like that. He's just not.

I don't see how a fighter like that can be seen as a much better win. He would be easier for Wilder than Stiverne in my opinion because it has been proven that Golota folds up or does something stupid when he's losing.

I have yet to see Stiverne quit like that or foul like that.

As I said Stiverne is not great but he's solid. He looked bad mostly because of what Wilder did to him.

And Golota shouldn't get praise for losing stupidly no matter if he was winning or not.
              Last edited by joseph5620; 01-18-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                Dc

It's not a triangle theory. The point was that Golota could not take punishment or pressure without self destructing. He's not a better fighter than Stiverne when he quits like that. He's just not.

I don't see how a fighter like that can be seen as a much better win. He would be easier for Wilder than Stiverne in my opinion because it has been proven that Golota folds up or does something stupid when he's losing.

I have yet to see Stiverne quit like that or foul like that.

As I said Stiverne is not great but he's solid. He looked bad mostly because of what Wilder did to him.

And Golota shouldn't get praise for losing stupidly no matter if he was winning or not.
                I respect what you are saying, and agree on most of it. I just think Golota was a better win, simply because at the time Golota was relevant, and only folded to his mental problems when fighting one bonafide ATG and one arguably HOF fighter. That level of fighters were the ones that brought out the stupid stuff out of him.

Grant also overcame the adversity of first round knockdowns to win, or rather force Golota to quit down the stretch. That is a decent feat.

Now, we have gone a bit far on this particular part of the argument anyways - I would probably go as far as saying Wilder is better than Grant was, or has the potential to be, and my whole argument is that Wilder will lose once he fights ATG Wlad, just like Grant did with Lennox.

We can leave the better win out of Stiverne and Golota at the relevant times a matter of opinion.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomedian2 View Post
                  I dont agree
                  Care to elaborate?

Comment

I don't see much of a comp to Grant vs Lewis and a Wilder vs klitchko match up... I just think k is nowhere near as good as lewis was at that point of Lewis' career.

Comment

Working...
                    X