No announcement yet.

Comparing Michael Grant and Deontay Wilder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    As for Golota I don't agree that's a better win than Stiverne because Golota had no heart and quit. Not the case with Stiverne who took monstrous shots and kept trying to fight.

Golota would have never finished that fight last night.taking those punches.
    I agree Golota would have quit but stiverne essentially did as well, all he did was follow him around, telegraphed every shot, no jab, nothing. He's tough as they come but id hardly say he put up a fight. I like wilder but I'd like to see how he reacts to someone who challenges him before I get too excited.

Comment

Wlad wins right now. Whether it's like Lewis-Grant remains to be seen.

As for Golota I don't agree that's a better win than Stiverne because Golota had no heart and quit. Not the case with Stiverne who took monstrous shots and kept trying to fight.

Golota was a 6ft 4/5 guy with big power and decent skills, who up to that point had only really been blasted by ATG Lennox and beat up Bowe twice. Plus he was performing well in the fight with Grant up until the stoppage and dropped him hard twice in round 1, well ahead on points. Grant basically made Golota want to quit...

Stiverne quit to be honest when he entered the ring and "didn't feel 100%"...excuses in early because at the end of the day Stiverne disappointed me...he is a slow footed slugger who throws wide looping shots, has bad balance, and can't fight taller fighters or those who don't come at him recklessly like Arreola...Golota definitely a better win.

Stiverne was only relevant as he was a beltholder...without that he wouldn't be as relevant and this win wouldn't even be so impressive for Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
        I took a look back out of interest to see Grant's career up to the Lennox fight, and his big test prior to that fight was his matchup against Golota, who up to that point had only really lost 1 fight to Lennox (in terms of actually getting bombed out, not DQing himself...). Now, in my opinion, that Golota was a much better win than Stiverne. Grant followed up his best win by getting blasted out early by an ATG, his next step up.

I think Wilder v Wlad will be a similar scenario, with the young talent coming off a good win and more hype, being blasted out by the ATG.

Agree/disagree?

If you saw the Grant vs Lewis fight then you know Grant cancelled himself out in that fight. he let his nerves get the better of him as he bum rushed Lennox and got caught early. I see Brieland as a good trainer and Wilder working behind his jab which he has the reach to utilize against Wlad. It would be a different scenario ad I don't see Wlad making quivk work of Wilder as Lennox or should I say Grant made of himself....LeFtY

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
          I agree Golota would have quit but stiverne essentially did as well, all he did was follow him around, telegraphed every shot, no jab, nothing. He's tough as they come but id hardly say he put up a fight. I like wilder but I'd like to see how he reacts to someone who challenges him before I get too excited.
          El Blanco --- who do you see out there that can give him the challenge you'd like to see?

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
            If you saw the Grant vs Lewis fight then you know Grant cancelled himself out in that fight. he let his nerves get the better of him as he bum rushed Lennox and got caught early. I see Brieland as a good trainer and Wilder working behind his jab which he has the reach to utilize against Wlad. It would be a different scenario ad I don't see Wlad making quivk work of Wilder as Lennox or should I say Grant made of himself....LeFtY
            Yes, I have seen the fight, and recall Grant being nervous...doing a long group prayer with his entourage backstage etc.

From what we have seen of Wlad, he goes after taller fighters more aggressively. Wilder has a 2 inch reach advantage on Wlad, although Wlad's jab is much crisper, more powerful, and technically better. A lot of Wilder's shots are thrown with speed but they often graze the opponent...Wlad's shots really hit you as his nickname suggests, like a steelhammer.

Wilder's stamina isn't great from what i've seen and if he will eat Wlad's bombs he will fade down the stretch so I see him going for it early, although being cautious...but if Wlad catches him early its over.

All I will say though is that it won't quite be like Lennox because he bombed out Grant on the inside, where Wlad can't and doesn't fight...naturally the fight may last longer with the two feeling each other out from the outside before someone lands a bomb.

Comment

Golota was a 6ft 4/5 guy with big power and decent skills, who up to that point had only really been blasted by ATG Lennox and beat up Bowe twice. Plus he was performing well in the fight with Grant up until the stoppage and dropped him hard twice in round 1, well ahead on points. Grant basically made Golota want to quit...

Stiverne quit to be honest when he entered the ring and "didn't feel 100%"...excuses in early because at the end of the day Stiverne disappointed me...he is a slow footed slugger who throws wide looping shots, has bad balance, and can't fight taller fighters or those who don't come at him recklessly like Arreola...Golota definitely a better win.

Stiverne was only relevant as he was a beltholder...without that he wouldn't be as relevant and this win wouldn't even be so impressive for Wilder.
              There is no excuse for Golota quitting and it wasn't the last time he did it. Golota's claim to fame was two stupid DQ losses to Bowe because he was weak minded. His size is irrelevant. What else had he ever done?

Sriverne is not great either but at least he has shown he can take a punch, hit hard and has the heart to keep fighting.

Golota could not handle pressure. Not against Lewis, Grant, Brewster, Tyson and would foul when he was frustrated or hurt.

I see Stiverne as the bigger threat and Golota would have either quit or knocked out last night.

There is no way in hell you can equate what Stiverne did to what Golota did against Grant. That's just silly.
              Last edited by joseph5620; 01-18-2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

There is no excuse for Golota quitting and it wasn't the last time he did it. Golota's claim to fame was two stupid DQ losses to Bowe because he was weak minded. His size is irrelevant. What else had he ever done?

Sriverne is not great either but at least he has shown he can take a punch, hit hard and has the heart to keep fighting.

Golota could not handle pressure. Not against Lewis, Grant, Brewster, Tyson and would foul when he was frustrated or hurt.

I see Stiverne as the bigger threat and Golota would have either quit or knocked out last night.

There is no way in hell you can equate what Stiverne did to what Golota did against Grant. That's just silly.
                I'm not equating it, not even really comparing. I'm just saying Stiverne went in with a wrong mindset as well, just as how Chisora did v Fury. These guys went with the completely wrong approach v taller guys.

Yeah, Wilder might have KO'd Golota with the shots he landed on Stiverne. Conversely, the shots Golota landed on Grant and the power he had could also have KO'd Wilder. Now, I'm not one to say Golota was some monster, but a lot of people i've seen on this forum actually rate him very highly and i've even seen people say Klitschko has never fought someone as good or better than Golota

At the end of the day, Stiverne also hasn't done much aside from holding a vacant title and beating up on past it fat-boy Arreola twice. He is a limited fighter with a hard head and can't fight taller men. While Golota was a good fighter but just didn't have the heart to go as far as his skills could take him...

Comment

I took a look back out of interest to see Grant's career up to the Lennox fight, and his big test prior to that fight was his matchup against Golota, who up to that point had only really lost 1 fight to Lennox (in terms of actually getting bombed out, not DQing himself...). Now, in my opinion, that Golota was a much better win than Stiverne. Grant followed up his best win by getting blasted out early by an ATG, his next step up.

I think Wilder v Wlad will be a similar scenario, with the young talent coming off a good win and more hype, being blasted out by the ATG.

Agree/disagree?

I agree in full.

I think that, the chances of Deontay Wilder remaining conscious for many rounds in that fight, are virtually nil.

Comment

Wlad wins right now. Whether it's like Lewis-Grant remains to be seen.

Golota was wayyyyy better than steverne and usually in decent shape. Steverne is way overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      Golota was wayyyyy better than steverne and usually in decent shape. Steverne is way overrated
                      Stiverne is not overrated because most people don't think much of him. He's not great but he has power, chin, and counter punching skills. I thought he would beat Wilder but Wilder is better than I thought.

On the other hand, Golota's claim to fame is two losses. You claiming he was "waaaaay" better shows who is truly overrated. What else did he ever do that impressed you so much?

I'm pretty sure Stiverne would not have quit against Michael Grant who didn't punch as hard as Wilder does.

Comment

Working...
                      X