Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Louis is sickly overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joe louis is the bill russell of heavyweight boxing legends.

yes. grossly overrated. just like bill russell.

Comment

All I can say is Green K to Mr. Yo and the affable Mr. Archer!

Joe Louis... Most technically sound HW of all time. You heard it first from Ray Corso.

Now what a bloody moron!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin'
        Here's the 'logic' that I am seeing in this thread.

The Green Bay Packers of the 60's must truly suck because the Packers on the new millennium would destroy them.

The Montreal Canadians of the 50's are trash because the Redwings of the 90's would have torn them up.

The New York Yankees of the 50's must have been **** because todays Yankees would thrash them..

It's called evolution my young boxing babies. Compare the size and strength, as well as the skill of the football players in the 50's to the football players today. The athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than those who came years before them. The same for baseball, football, hockey and boxing.

I'm probably beating a dead horse here.

Everybody understands how to type and give opinions yet few have the knowledge to give an educated opinion.

Everything evolves with time, except the Detroit Lions.......... Rockin'
        Ray Corso alt!

The same style! Especially the part about "educated opinion"

If you really had an educated opinion you would know that Louis was a bum buster mainly, had terrible skills comparable to today and would get his head punched off in the first round vs any good CW or HW.

Any other opinion is an UN-educated opinion.

Comment

Elroy1, I am glad to see smart people here. Louis just stood there and took punches all the time, he was too easy to hit, there was nothing technical about his style. I respect him, but I feel sick when I see him mentioned as one of the best ever, he didn't have even 1 win worth mentioning. I don't care if he kept his title for years and beat everyone, I would much rather see him fight ONE good opponent than all the trash he fought.

Comment

Deontay Wilder has a much better resume, thats one thing i learned from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
              Deontay Wilder has a much better resume, thats one thing i learned from this thread.
              Wilder doesn't, but he will have a better resume if he beats Stiverne. Who of Louis' opponents were better than Stiverne? Baer? Walcott? Don't make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin'
                I've seen his bouts and no he was not perfect. But if you believe that any old Heavyweight could have reigned as long in an era of good fighters than I agree with you and the thread starters assumption that Joe Louis was not great.

Bum of the Month Club you will complain about. Today you guys complain about inactivity of champions. You will complain because I believe that you just don't understand that you CAN NOT battle the best out there every time out. The business of the sport is hard enough to line them up as it sits now but the physical side of the sport will take your being if you continue on too long.

**** on the history makers of the sport and shine up the shallow pool of what is left today of the sport=Newbie

I'll take the alt thing as a complement............. Rockin'
                Actually I DO give Joe Louis his dues.

Other of your comments I found somewhat idiotic.

When some guys **** on the current fighters in order to pump up eras WAY in the past, it is sickening, it is disrespectful to the guys trying to compete today under this pressure and it is the most destructive thing happening to this sport, the erosion by ridiculous and ****** fans from within.

I have no problem with Louis, he was a great. Just remember when what "of ALL TIME" actually means!

Your old man MR. Corso is a confused gentleman who really doesn't understand. You don't want to end up like that my friend. We have a name for it in my line of work..

"Pugilistic Dementia!"

Comment

Originally posted by UpInThisYo View Post
                  Elroy1, I am glad to see smart people here. Louis just stood there and took punches all the time, he was too easy to hit, there was nothing technical about his style. I respect him, but I feel sick when I see him mentioned as one of the best ever, he didn't have even 1 win worth mentioning. I don't care if he kept his title for years and beat everyone, I would much rather see him fight ONE good opponent than all the trash he fought.
                  I was relieved to see the same thing!

Just when it looks like the OTNB (Old Time Nut Bags) as I call them are rebounding in force, other more realistic guys pop up out of the woodwork.

I've pointed out all the facts to these guys before, but some of the staunch ones don't get it.

If you knock off all the cruisers and light heavies (-200) and all the bums (guys that lost more than a QUARTER of their fights), Joe Louis beat like 7 somewhat decent opponents, who THEMSELVES padded their records against anywhere down to lightweights! And even worse bums!

And the video evidence backs it up. Louis looked bad and he fought opponents who looked even worse!

What more is there?

It's unbelievable what these guys are trying to sell. Polishing **** and trying to pass it off qas gold.

Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                    You are a lost cause and are incapable of learning a damn thing!

That is a fact!

You are what 21 right? You have been brainwashed into one of the biggest lies in sports history my friend.

You sledge excellent boxers..

And you support bums!

And guys you have never even seen box because some old goat like Ray told you so.

Absolutely pathetic!

Comment

Originally posted by JimEarl View Post
                      I'd call Louis's five best as Walcott (Louis past prime), Arturo Godoy, Max Baer, Braddock and Shmelling. Louis pretty much cleaned his division mostly before winning a belt.

No ATGs in the heavyweights but he shares that distinction with a lot of fighters considered ATG who fought in arguably weak division. His domination and record in rematches would put him in good standing. And let's face it: Everybody fought everybody in the days of low risk paydays and it takes an act of congress to make fights today.....The records are going to usually be spottier back then throughout the divisions. Bob Foster (another ATG in a weak division) said it best when he said said "today's fighters are babied".

Both the lightheavies he fought, Conn & John Henry Lewis were very good and the weight differences weren't as big as they are in more contemporary times. Guys like Louis and Marciano would probably be aiming towards the cruiserweights nowadays.
                      You would be shocked at the weird diets heavyweight boxers had back then. Many ate soups and tried to eat a tight diet that a middleweight boxer would eat. So with a modern approach Joe Louis and Marciano would probably be a bit on the small size but not cruiserweights. I suspect both would be around the size of Jennings or Perez.

Comment

Working...
                      X