No announcement yet.

Roach recently on Golovkin: "He has the best footwork in boxing"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    Actually it's presenting a moving target concurrently making him harder to hit in defence while creating the angles to opening up his opponent to land the punches he wants to land in attack.

As to Loma losing his second fight, Golovkin fought an opponent called Siarhei Navarka in his second pro fight whereas Lomachenko fought for a world title in his 2nd fight and became world champion in his 3rd fight. It's really not even comparable.
    It presents a moving target, which didn't appear to phase a rather unskillful Salido, so I'm not sure it's as effective as you think. He still fights like an amateur. His movement is great, but you're telling me all of it is required? I highly doubt. He's bouncing and moving when the guys not even in range of a shot, it's just excessive.

Pretty sure if you put Golovkin in with any of the current champions on his first fight he'd win, especially against a slow, flat footed fighter like Salido where this amazing footwork should've surely helped Loma obtain the victory. Not only has Golovkin showed exceptional footwork against better opposition, he also exhibits it at a much higher weight with a much higher knockout percentage.

Not really sure if you're being serious when you say you think the current version of Bernard has a chance against Golovkin. The guy is done, honestly.
    Last edited by T18Z; 12-27-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

loma's footwork is amazing, but golovkins has more purpose, you dont need to move not nearly as half as much as lomachenko to have similar success, loma is a much smaller individual and i can't imagine any middleweight+ moving like he does, it's a constant power walk for 12 rounds, loma's movement can be spontaneous and erratic, actually it banks on it, the whole aim is to force the other guy to constantly have to adjust his feet so it's just movement for the sake of movement, you dont need much train of thought here do you? keep moving, keep moving, when you attack, circle while punching

golovkins takes alot more intelligence, he has to move with his opponents or follow their lead which is a completely different ball game to you dictating everything and he does so as perfect as i have ever seen(and i've watched alot of duran) with as little energy as i've ever seen, no constant bobbing and weaving or crazy dashing/falling in, he just walks right to you and starts jabbing you, these guys try running, but this golovkin guy is right in there face at punching range at all times, which is what gives that impression of his opponents "wasting alot of energy", these guys are constantly in panic mode because golovkin is always within punching range, just coldly staring them in the eyes, emotionless

and it's not like this guy is a face-first brawler, no, infact, if you attack him usually almost like he already has an escape route planned, he'll quickly pivot you onto another corner of the ring, it's horrible, he forces everyone to fight him

there is no useless movement by golovkins feet, and i really mean that
      Last edited by SplitSecond; 12-27-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I actually want too see how GGG will perform with roach on his corner

Comment

Originally posted by T18Z View Post
          It presents a moving target, which didn't appear to phase a rather unskillful Salido, so I'm not sure it's as effective as you think.
          Yeah, Salido just punched him in the nuts

Look, let's be clear, to fight a multiple world champion, a gnarly veteran who came in at 147lbs after missing weight and still be very competitive in just his second pro fight is nothing short of astounding and a lot of the ability to do what he does comes from his movement and footwork which is outstanding.

Pretty sure if you put Golovkin in with any of the current champions on his first fight he'd win
          The first former champion Golovkin fought came in his 21st fight v Ouma and he went life and death with the guy who himself was stepping up in weight.

The notion that Golovkin could have won a world title in his first fight I think stems from watching Golovkin today as opposed to back then. Personally, I don't think he would have beaten the MW champions from back then so early in his career.

As to "Golovkin's exceptional footwork", you know he can't fight off the backfoot? I like him, he comes forward, he's exciting and going forward I agree his footwork is outstanding but it's also very one dimensional. When he's been backed up, he has looked lost and has taken multiple flush punches.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 12-27-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

golovkin has outstanding offensive movement and rigondeaux has outstanding defensive movement - lomachenko has both. and don't forget that he is yet a 26-year-old pro neophyte.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1836 View Post
              I was very surprised by Roach's answer to what he thinks of golovkin, he said he has the best footwork in boxing. wow, he also went on to say he think he needs to fight bigger names and such but he is very impressed with what he sees.

at 5:03
              Hes very good at walking guys down and cutting the ring off, finding his range. I do think Rigondeaux has better footwork though personally - both are very effective in there own ways but I just think Rigondeaux has the best footwork in boxing right now, I think that's one of the main things that makes him such a great boxer personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                Yeah, Salido just punched him in the nuts

Look, let's be clear, to fight a multiple world champion, a gnarly veteran who came in at 147lbs after missing weight and still be very competitive in just his second pro fight is nothing short of astounding and a lot of the ability to do what he does comes from his movement and footwork which is outstanding.

The first former champion Golovkin fought came in his 21st fight v Ouma and he went life and death with the guy who himself was stepping up in weight.

The notion that Golovkin could have won a world title in his first fight I think stems from watching Golovkin today as opposed to back then. Personally, I don't think he would have beaten the MW champions from back then so early in his career.

As to "Golovkin's exceptional footwork", you know he can't fight off the backfoot? I like him, he comes forward, he's exciting and going forward I agree his footwork is outstanding but it's also very one dimensional. When he's been backed up, he has looked lost and has taken multiple flush punches.
                this depends on your definition of "fighting on the backfoot", to me he fights off the backfoot very well, he's a boxer, not a brawler, he maintains a distance, he glides back and forth(the forward stutter step shocks opponent because he's usually so steady and lazy-like) and pivoting is a form of fighting on the back-end also and he does that very well and he punches within all these manuevers
                but if by backfoot you mean like andre dirrell/erislandy lara running, then no, that type of movement is to minimise exchanges, that's not golovkins game, golovkin doesn't even usually force people back, his whole game is to just be in range to land his punches and if someone is ok with being in range he is usually circling around them using his jab and whatnot i.e "boxing"

there are plenty of moments in his fights where you can see golovkin fighting off the backfoot, vs rosado, he threw the overhand and left hook while backing up, ko'd lajuan simon on the backfoot and while pivoting to center ring, he punches exceptionally well while on the move(against simon, pull-counter while circling), unlike most guys that can't fight on the backfoot, and that first kd vs proksa, thing of beauty, he throws a right hook, left hook, and while getting out realises proksa is following him and almost instantly starts firing jabs on the retreat and almost just as quickly is back onto the front foot combo'ing the sht outta him, i've never seen a provodnikov do that

Comment

Golovkin`s footwork, balance and most importantly aggressive mentality are the main things that were really improved by Abel Sanchez. The question remains, if GGG can fight off the back foot? In Stevens fight it looked like he was not really used to retreating, but there are practically no fighters around his weight who can pressure GGG for any meaningful period of time. Probably, this question will remain until he eventually moves to 175.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                    Hes very good at walking guys down and cutting the ring off, finding his range. I do think Rigondeaux has better footwork though personally - both are very effective in there own ways but I just think Rigondeaux has the best footwork in boxing right now, I think that's one of the main things that makes him such a great boxer personally.
                    his stutter steps are pure insanity, and they're in accordance with the opponent, moves just enough to maintain a distance

all of these guys keep their balance very well, i think golovkin has displayed the weakest balance, mainly because sometimes he gets a tad overzealous in his aggression, but it's not often, very rare actually, just that i've seen golovkin off balance, not so much the other guys, from what i can remember

Comment

i nominate SplitSecond for a poster of the year award.

dude's knowledge of boxing is exceptional.

Comment

Working...
                      X