No announcement yet.

How important is size in boxing. Riddick Bowe vs Joe Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is size in boxing. Riddick Bowe vs Joe Frazier

To end my first round of the HW Tourney, I have #8 Riddick Bowe vs #9 Joe Frazier in a H2H.

I am of the belief that size+skills+power+chin will always be >than a smaller variant of these same traits.

Bowe vs Frazier is a great example of that.

Bowe is a skilled big man that loves to work inside and is willing to enter dog fights. Willing to slug it out and go toe to toe. Willing to be led into a brutal fight. Frazier is a skilled little man that loves to get inside and is willing to enter any dog fight.

Bowe will KO Frazier. Why? Simple. Because he is bigger without any of the flaws(Wlad chin/stamina) a smaller man could take advantage of.
    Bowe
    55.00%
    Frazier
    45.00%

The poll is expired.

Eddie Futch trained Bowe as well as Frazier, Norton and Holmes. Futch believed he had the ability to be better then all of them. Bowes inside game was great for a big guy and he had all the tools unfortunately his life never worked out like that. Good fight but I don't think Bowe would have handled the intensity of a young Frazier. Wide UD or late stoppage for Smoking Joe.

Comment

If all else is relatively equal then size is an extremely massive advantage. The trouble is deciding whether all else is relatively equal.

For example a senile stateside sweet scientist (SSSS) I met on the internet once told me Dempsey would walk through modern HWs: His evidence was Jess Willard. The problem is that Jess Willard absolutely sucked.

But in this case the tables are turned, Riddick Bowe is much bigger than Frazier AND he's the better boxer. One of Bowe's easier fights.
      Last edited by ////; 11-26-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
        To end my first round of the HW Tourney, I have #8 Riddick Bowe vs #9 Joe Frazier in a H2H.

I am of the belief that size+skills+power+chin will always be >than a smaller variant of these same traits.

Bowe vs Frazier is a great example of that.

Bowe is a skilled big man that loves to work inside and is willing to enter dog fights. Willing to slug it out and go toe to toe. Willing to be led into a brutal fight. Frazier is a skilled little man that loves to get inside and is willing to enter any dog fight.

Bowe will KO Frazier. Why? Simple. Because he is bigger without any of the flaws(Wlad chin/stamina) a smaller man could take advantage of.
        I think bowe would have been to big for frazier but I cant help but think hed be vulnerable as hell to a guy his size that could punch with power. rock newman steered bowe clear of punchers throught his career. bowe avoided the big hitters of his day like lewis,,Ruddock and Morrison. hell,,,the only guy he really fought his size that could punch some was golota and even he wasn't a big one punch guy and we saw how that went even tho bowe was well past it by the second fight
        Last edited by beez721; 11-26-2014, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Bowe stylistically is also a very tough matchup for Frazier, even if they were the same size.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Bowe stylistically is also a very tough matchup for Frazier, even if they were the same size.
            Agreed. But it's even more difficult due to his size. This is a case where size definitely over comes the smaller man.

Comment

If Bowe can beat prime Holyfield twice then he can beat Frazier with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostBlade View Post
                If Bowe can beat prime Holyfield twice then he can beat Frazier with ease.
                I think Bowe KO Frazier, but Frazier don't fight the same way as Holyfield. Regardless Bowe KO.

Comment

The only poll that actually needs more votes!

Comment

With his shabby defense Bowe would be taking too many solid hits from Joe. But I'd be surprised if both men didn't come out damaged after the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X