Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did old school boxers have more skills?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Boxing stance >>>>>> Old school one's. Plus how far old school are we talking?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      There were more boxers with the skills of today's best, because there were more boxers competing for less opportunities than are available today.

There are certainly fighters today just as skilled as fighters in the past.
      this..

guys like rigo, ward, floyd, pac, jmm and a few others are as skilled as the fighters of the past. but most B and C level fighters aren't as skilled as their counterparts in past eras.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        That's a myth. Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, Kovalev, GGG, Crawford, Chocolito and many others are very sound skill wise.
        It's not a myth, it's a fact as far as USA born fighters. It's nowhere near what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
          this..

guys like rigo, ward, floyd, pac, jmm and a few others are as skilled as the fighters of the past. but most B and C level fighters aren't as skilled as their counterparts in past eras.
          Counterpart B / C level fighters were as often as not coming straight to a fight from their day-jobs as stevedores or labourers. The gap between the elite and second tier fighters has never been closer than it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Or have modern fighters with their cutting edge training methods evolved way beyond the primitive techniques of the old days?
            As a whole previous eras had a richer talent pool, partially because there was a much larger talent pool to begin with, and today, there simply aren't enough trainers with the technical knowledge to pass on to fighters. More and more you see gold glovers becoming trainers etc and that's awesome in one way but at the same time the absence of true masterful boxing minds training many fighters who are more active than fighters are today even at the championship level has an effect on the way boxing is taught and the methodologies passed on in many places.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              this..

What skills does Pacquiao have that puts him on the level of fighters of the past and which ones are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                As a whole previous eras had a richer talent pool, partially because there was a much larger talent pool to begin with, and today, there simply aren't enough trainers with the technical knowledge to pass on to fighters. More and more you see gold glovers becoming trainers etc and that's awesome in one way but at the same time the absence of true masterful boxing minds training many fighters who are more active than fighters are today even at the championship level has an effect on the way boxing is taught and the methodologies passed on in many places.
                I agree with this to a certain degree but I believe people overlooking the effectiveness of modern technology and the wide amount of information trainers can utilize and apply to their fighters.

I truly believe the upcoming fighters of today are gonna spearhead one of the finest generations to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bauermeis View Post

This is the REAL reason boxing is going backwards...ignorance.
                  People like you make me HATE srr and srl because you wont be honest about them. You all are trained to lie and act like they can even hold a candle! Imagine the humiliation they would face if they stepped in the ring with Pac and Floyd.

You make me not respect them because you all act like they were something they were not! Just be honest and give them proper credit but dont flat out lie like they had all these damn skills they are bums in comparison keep it funky punk!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Blah blah blah again over & over again, someone who thinks he knows so much but is NOT involved in the sport? Why isn't this boy a fighter or trainer at least a manager or promoter. He knows so much about the game. WHY??

Because he is here to get a rise out of people, that's all.
                    Just another day in Tooools dream world! "peeleft: on you sonny!

go away!
                    Ray.
                    I was a one time fighter and a I did help coach and was involved in boxing.

I do not HAVE to be involved at some great level to be able to perform a boxing analysis!

And apply common sense!

It's proven by YOU!

For all your credentials, you have NO common sense, and are capable of NO ****ing decent analysis.

You think Jack Dempsey could beat ANYBODY because he had "2 handed power and determination!"

Dempsey.. Who was a sub Cruiser. Who never even fought a decent HW let alone beat one. Amazing stuff there Ray!

Comment

Originally posted by Dachozen1 View Post
                      It's not a myth, it's a fact as far as USA born fighters. It's nowhere near what it once was.
                      In every single decade, the fighters, trainers, journalists of the past have been claiming how terrible boxing has become now, how the art of it is dying and so on..

Since the 1870's and thought every decade until today, just as you've claimed here.

So I guess, instead of like all other sports, boxing has been getting ****ter and ****ter and ****ter since the moment of it's inception.

Wake up!

This is the first time in history that a major portion of fans have woken up and realised that this is the best era BEFORE the era is in the past!

Comment

Working...
                      X