Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be remembered as the greater fighter: Bernard Hopkins or Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rocky_balboa23 View Post
    i am telling all of you floyd fans right now. if Floyd losses that 0, his legacy would sink faster than the titanic coz floyd only banks his legacy on that "0". that "0" does not have enough substance to put him in the likes of Bhop or Pac
    Floyd's legacy is not based on his 0. That's his marketing stance. Floyd, in his prime was breathtaking in defense, speed and switching from defense to offense. Nobody's done this better, or created the kind of financial buzz he has. Pacquaio in his prime was an offensive force approaching the kind of aura and excitement that Mike Tyson had. Hopkins legacy is his longevity and discipline, and his ability to get into fighter's heads, which made him outsmart younger less disciplined fighters. Kovalev is a good under rated boxer, but he not a great boxer, and he handled Hopkins like Dawson and Calzaghe did.

Here's the rundown...Greater popularity = Floyd. Greater Skill = Floyd. Greater business accomplishments = Floyd. Greater Entertainer = Floyd. Amateur Career = Floyd. Longevity....maybe Hopkins, when you consider Floyd's amateur career it's close. Fought the best challengers in his era = Hopkins.

Comment

• definitely hopkins. he took risks fought the best available, won some and lost some, and did this all the way into his late 40s.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        Is this the same Bernard Hopkins that you referring to in this post:
        I place high value on good sportsmanship.

Bernard showing some class and having no excuses after the fight with Kovalev won my respect for him.

I've yet to see Floyd showing he has any honor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
          I place high value on good sportsmanship.

Bernard showing some class and having no excuses after the fight with Kovalev won my respect for him.

I've yet to see Floyd showing he has any honor.
          He showed some class because he couldn't fatigue Kovalev by wrestling him and when he went to clinch in his typical fashion, Kovalev was instantly bopping him upside the head. Hopkins realized by the second or third he wasn't going to be able to wrestle Kovalev around the ring.
          Last edited by DeadLikeMe; 11-10-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
            He showed some class because he couldn't fatigue Kovalev by wrestling him, and when he went to clinch in his typical fashion Kovalev was instantly bopping him upside the head. Hopkins realized by the second or third he wasn't going to be able to wrestle Kovalev around the ring.
            If Hopkins wanted to clinch and make it a dirty fight, he could have. He didn't do any of that. No tricky headbutts, no lowblows, no excessive holding, etc.

It's funny how people before the fight said Hopkins would cheat, he's clinch like crazy, etc., but now it's "he couldn't cheat" lol.

The simple truth is Kovalev beat him fair & square. That's all there is too it. Hopkins couldn't handle his power, his abilities and his game plan. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
              If Hopkins wanted to clinch and make it a dirty fight, he could have. He didn't do any of that. No tricky headbutts, no lowblows, no excessive holding, etc.

It's funny how people before the fight said Hopkins would cheat, he's clinch like crazy, etc., but now it's "he couldn't cheat" lol.

The simple truth is Kovalev beat him fair & square. That's all there is too it. Hopkins couldn't handle his power, his abilities and his game plan. End of story.
              Did you see what Kovalev was doing anytime Hopkins went to pull his usual crap? He had an answer for absolutely everything. Kovalev came in very well prepared, 49 year old man or not. He made a fan out of me for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                Did you see what Kovalev was doing anytime Hopkins went to pull his usual crap? He had an answer for absolutely everything. Kovalev came in very well prepared, 49 year old man or not. He made a fan out of me for sure.
                Yes I watched the fight with my own two eyes and there was no "usual crap" from Hopkins (I assume you're talking about clinching, etc.) that he tried to pull. There are plenty of fights where Hopkins doesn't clinch or foul. Bhop tried to maintain distance, use movement and set counters for Kovalev, but like Hopkins explained Kovalev fought very smart, would punch, get out and maintain distance, never falling for any traps...for the entire fight he stuck to that plan which is one of the reasons Hopkins is praising him so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by megh50 View Post
                  Floyd's legacy is not based on his 0. That's his marketing stance. Floyd, in his prime was breathtaking in defense, speed and switching from defense to offense. Nobody's done this better, or created the kind of financial buzz he has. Pacquaio in his prime was an offensive force approaching the kind of aura and excitement that Mike Tyson had. Hopkins legacy is his longevity and discipline, and his ability to get into fighter's heads, which made him outsmart younger less disciplined fighters. Kovalev is a good under rated boxer, but he not a great boxer, and he handled Hopkins like Dawson and Calzaghe did.

Here's the rundown...Greater popularity = Floyd. Greater Skill = Floyd. Greater business accomplishments = Floyd. Greater Entertainer = Floyd. Amateur Career = Floyd. Longevity....maybe Hopkins, when you consider Floyd's amateur career it's close. Fought the best challengers in his era = Hopkins.
                  Hopkins really got his recognition after beating Trinidad, I believe he was 36 at the time. That needs to be taken into consideration when it pertains to greater entertainer because Hopkins' physical prime ended two years after that. Mayweather is 37 and we're already hearing about his age. In fact Mayweather in his last fight spoiled more than we're used to seeing because of his slippage. Just saying, things need to be looked at more fairly.

By the way, I found Hopkins to be more exciting and equally as entertaining in the ring. Hopkins could initiate the action better, clearly better at fighting from close quarters too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
                    Yes I watched the fight with my own two eyes and there was no "usual crap" from Hopkins (I assume you're talking about clinching, etc.) that he tried to pull. There are plenty of fights where Hopkins doesn't clinch or foul. Bhop tried to maintain distance, use movement and set counters for Kovalev, but like Hopkins explained Kovalev fought very smart, would punch, get out and maintain distance, never falling for any traps...for the entire fight he stuck to that plan which is one of the reasons Hopkins is praising him so much.
                    I have to disagree with you here. Hopkins spent the first three rounds testing the water before he went with what you're saying, and that's how he fought because so much of the rest of his arsenal proved ineffective.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                      Is this the same Bernard Hopkins that you referring to in this post:
                      Lol.............

Comment

Working...
                      X