Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think it's safe to say, Mayweather has probably the best defence in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locche, decent defense but not great, got hit by Alfonso Fraizer constantly, Di Lella, Ortiz, Gutirez and a few others hit him too.

Infact I take that back he wasn't good defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
      Not Rigo's fault everyone is too scared to fight him knowing they'll lose so avoid him like the plague.... He can't pander to the English speaking American audience with an obnoxious marketing campaign based on money and greed... Rigo's defense is just tighter, doesn't get hit as much, maybe it's because he's lefty and this makes things more difficult for his opponents, but his overall composure and balance is just a notch above, he moves flawlessly in the ring
      Rigo just doesn't have the resume to say that. And he's been touched and hurt before by 3rd rate guys at that. Whether it's his fault or not as of right now, rigo doesn't belong in this conversation.

Comment

Benitez, one of the worst defenses in history.

Hit at will by Matthew Hilton, Papasodora, Herrera, Lawlor, Moore, Hamsho.

Western and Palomino both hit him abit.

Curry dropped him twice!!

Got completely exposed by Leonard and Hearns.

Very poor defensively.

Comment

TS keeps making threads with grandiose claims regarding the level of Floyd's greatness.

Looks like he is very publicly trying to establish a base negotiating position to create a consensus here at NSB.

By starting at the "greatest ever at boxing skill X" he's trying to define the spectrum within which the argument will be made.

The Klittards been trying to do the same **** for years.

I find the practice to be a bit dishonest and will not venture an opinion OT.

I'm just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
            TS keeps making threads with grandiose claims regarding the level of Floyd's greatness.

Looks like he is very publicly trying to establish a base negotiating position to create a consensus here at NSB.

By starting at the "greatest ever at boxing skill X" he's trying to define the spectrum within which the argument will be made.

The Klittards been trying to do the same **** for years.

I find the practice to be a bit dishonest and will not venture an opinion OT.

I'm just saying.
            That is interesting, I think it is just sticking a finger in people's eye to make them react. Given the subject matter who generates strongly opposing opinions it is a recipe to create drama.

It is hard to even compare, do you compare against an era thus judging a guy against his relevant peers or do you do direct comparison that could also include video evidence of you judging the fighters.

It could be a good discussion topic but how it is laid out screams other motives than having a real discussion.

Comment

James Toney Aka: Jimmy Rocker

My name is James Toney. I am new at boxing. My favorite boxer is James 'Lights out' Toney because he is really good!

I don't have very much experience, but I will still step into the ring with anyone. Part of the reason is because I am a Christian and the Bible says not to be afraid of what Man can do to you. Another reason is that I am bored. If I sign up at USA boxing then I will only have 1 year left to compete. And the 3rd reason why I want to box is because my name is spelled exactly the same as the most powerful boxer in the world (his middle name is different) So I would be getting in on name recognition.

Anyway please reply to me, Reverend James Toney aka: Jimmy the Rocker.
              And please remember I am NOT lights out Toney, I'm just a big fan of his, who happens to be a boxer as well.

Comment

Jimmy Rocker says...

James Toney will punch your lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
                  We can all talk about Willie Pep, Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Robinson. Worth mentioning Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Jack Johnson and Nicolino Locche.

But Mayweather is the greatest defensive fighter we have ever seen. He approaches not getting hit with the mental dexterity of a savant, and is head and shoulders beyond anyone else in the history of the sport.
                  It was shocking to see Shane Mosley actually hit him cleanly, let alone rock him badly. But all Mayweather did for the rest of the night was become Mariano Rivera, and close him out.

Whatever your feelings on Floyd, he's an unquestioned all-time great and one of the greatest fighters to have ever lived.

He's an extremely athletic blend of Roy Jones and James Toney, with an emphasis on defense first and foremost.
                  This debunks your statement all those guys you mentioned fought guys in their primes, without catch weights , bogus refs, and without crying for gloves. If Floyd fought with no catch weights no bogus refs who cheat for him or don't call fouls against him but only at his opponent than you might have a point but when Floyd was wobbled with pillow gloves theres a good chance that he could have been knock out had Madaina wore his gloves and we wouldn't be having this discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    This debunks your statement all those guys you mentioned fought guys in their primes, without catch weights , bogus refs, and without crying for gloves. If Floyd fought with no catch weights no bogus refs who cheat for him or don't call fouls against him but only at his opponent than you might have a point but when Floyd was wobbled with pillow gloves theres a good chance that he could have been knock out had Madaina wore his gloves and we wouldn't be having this discussion
                    Most of those fighters were knocked out by lesser fighters than Maidana so why wouldn't we be having this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Locche, decent defense but not great, got hit by Alfonso Fraizer constantly, Di Lella, Ortiz, Gutirez and a few others hit him too.

Infact I take that back he wasn't good defensively.
                      The difference in Looche is he like to scrap at times Floyd doesn't he hits one time than runs he only attacks if he know his opponent is weight drain like Corrales or Canelo or if the guy is tired that is why at times Floyd will lose rounds at the beginning like in Delahoya Hatton than when the guys are tired he steps on the pedal slightly

Comment

Working...
                      X