No announcement yet.

Al Haymon's Contracts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
    What shows if he's a PPV attraction is the numbers he does without another huge superstar. His PPV numbers without Mayweather have been LOW. So low that the network was forced to demote him to regular TV instead of PPV. This is a fact.Floyd though, he's done high numbers even without a superstar. Same for Pacquaio. Again, they are the only true PPV stars in boxing.
    Not exactly - Canelo is known to make around 3 to 5 million on pay per views so that's why the purse that HBO offered was over 4 mill and that's what Showtime was willing to match because had they given him a purse of 1 mil or 2mil he would've gone to PPV.

A year ago Shaeffer gave an interview I believe to Maxboxing and he stated exactly that.

Comment

• OK? Is that good or BAD? Have yet to hear any fighters complain about their situation with Haymon

Most of his critics are on the outside looking in and really don't know WTF he is doing for his fighters

Comment

• Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
        Ok so now let me get this straight. Top Rank rarely works with other promoters and that's a bad thing... so he should keep his fights in house then? Ok I get it, but then Haymon not only doesn't work with other promoters, his guys fight each other as often as Top Rank works with other promoters (in your words) and that's better?
        I'm not saying either thing is better. I'm just calling a spade for what it is -- a spade. Top Rank and Golden Boy have been doing the same thing. Keep business in-house, because it's in their best interest financially (usually, not always).

It's the fans who sometimes suffer when they would like fighters of the other stable to fight one another. Because those fights get difficult to make.

Comment

I'm not saying either thing is better. I'm just calling a spade for what it is -- a spade. Top Rank and Golden Boy have been doing the same thing. Keep business in-house, because it's in their best interest financially (usually, not always).

It's the fans who sometimes suffer when they would like fighters of the other stable to fight one another. Because those fights get difficult to make.
          So you agree, Haymon is crap.

Comment

@ this, you're even throwing in fights that DID NOT happen. You cannot be serious.

Top Rank fighters usually fight fellow Top Rank fighters. Now, this isn't always the case. But it is usually, and it makes business sense.
            Dude in both fight that didn't get made - Top Rank made huge offers to Mikey and Chavez so they were almost official, it's just that there were rumours that Chavez and Mikey might've had Al Haymons in their ear and it's quite possible seeing how Quillin turned down 1.4 million, Wilder turning down money.

So the point still stands that Arum has worked with other promoters, works and will continue working.

Comment

He hasn't been producing the numbers. And it's not because Canelo isn't a star. But he's not a big mainstream star like Pac and May. And people are less and less interested in spending money on PPVs. The PPV model is withering away. The only guys doing good numbers are Pacquaio and Mayweather. Everyone else numbers have been bad.

It is what it is.
              you put floyd or pac vs lara on any non-boxing date and tell me they will do good numbers, lucky if they reach 500k and they been in the ppv business for ever, still showtime was getting more money out of canelos ppvs than floyds and that is why espinoza was so butthurt after canelo went to hbo...
              not only sho pays that stupid 32m guarantee but they have to stack the undercard with the likes of khan, broner, LSC, etc... just to reach 700k and all this on the most lucrative boxing date...

Comment

• Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                You don't seem to understand anything but number of buys, time to school you, again. If a fight sells 375k and makes money it's better than a fight selling 900k and breaking even or even losing money. If you win a basketball game 45-25, you still won. If you score 175 points and still lose, who gives a flying ****, do you understand now? No one cares about the amount of people who buys, it's the profit that was made. I could care less if I sell 1 car a year if I made 100k off that car, if someone other guy is selling 100k cars and only makes 1k I'm the much better sales person, amount means nothing.
                That's the thing, they haven't been profiting much with Canelo's numbers. The networks haven't been profiting much with any of these guys numbers unless it's Pacquaio or Mayweather. The profits have been little, or at a loss.

It's part of the reason why there is rumor of Haymon trying to get fighters on regular national TV. That was where the megastars of boxing used to be created. And that was a time when boxing's popularity was at it's highest. But over the years, the Promoters got greedy. Saw more profits with doing the PPV thing. But now that the PPV thing is falling apart, there's concern to make a change.

Comment

• Originally posted by icha View Post
                  you put floyd or pac vs lara on any non-boxing date and tell me they will do good numbers, lucky if they reach 500k and they been in the ppv business for ever, still showtime was getting more money out of canelos ppvs than floyds and that is why espinoza was so butthurt after canelo went to hbo...
                  not only sho pays that stupid 32m guarantee but they have to stack the undercard with the likes of khan, broner, LSC, etc... just to reach 700k and all this on the most lucrative boxing date...
                  Come on man. When Pacquaio fought Bradley, Bradley was literally no more popular than Lara. When Mayweather fought Guerrero, Guerrero was literally no more popular than Lara. And they both still did good numbers.

To casuals on the street, when you ask them to mention a current boxer today, the only people they can think of is Pacquaio and Mayweather. The rest of the boxers are nonexistent. ****ed up, but that's the scenario.

Comment

• gaymon is a crook!

Comment

• Originally posted by pesticid View Post
                      Dude in both fight that didn't get made - Top Rank made huge offers to Mikey and Chavez so they were almost official, it's just that there were rumours that Chavez and Mikey might've had Al Haymons in their ear and it's quite possible seeing how Quillin turned down 1.4 million, Wilder turning down money.

So the point still stands that Arum has worked with other promoters, works and will continue working.
                      I wasn't trying to say that Arum doesn't work with other Promoters. But generally, he keeps things in-house. He will work with other Promoters, sure. But usually, he'd rather keep it in-house unless he doesn't really have that option. It's just smart business.

Comment

Working...
                      X