No announcement yet.

Golovkin's Shift

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golovkin's Shift

A long lost art from boxing the shift or "Fitzsimmons shift." This is where a fighter would shift his weight and step forward with punches much the way many fighters did in the pre-WWII era including Jack Dempsey and Stanley Ketchel. There have not been too many fighters in recent years who have done the shift. Roberto Duran did it and clearly it helped him. A few fighters I have seen doing it today are Dmitry Pirog and of course, Gennady Golovkin.

For those who think Golovkin is just a big banger, it's not his power that is so impressive. It's his foot work in the ring and how he places opponents where he wants them with faints and shifting. This technique is great for the ring and I'm glad to see it return with this guy's arsenal. He will be one tough guy to beat in years to come.

Is that not just the common art of throwing a punch?? each punch shifts into another punch?

Comment

It's basically something that I was trained NOT to do. But maybe that was like Berto's trainer telling him not to do the shoulder roll. lol

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        Is that not just the common art of throwing a punch?? each punch shifts into another punch?
        he's talking about golovkin throwing right hand, while stepping into a "southpaw stance" at the same time, temporarily.
        Originally posted by GoldenGloveLove View Post
        It's basically something that I was trained NOT to do. But maybe that was like Berto's trainer telling him not to do the shoulder roll. lol
        i can totally see trainers teaching ppl not to, especially at a non-professional level. however i disagree to not learn to do this (for some its natural), u just have to (again, and like everything else) get the timing down so ur not stepping into punches.

Comment

I thought it's the fear of his power once felt. Most start backing up...and since he can cut off the ring, once in range they freeze up!

So I think it pretty much is his power!

Comment

There's a vid on this

Comment

Dempsey

When you watch Dempsey and Willard, you can see Dempsey shift his weight to the opposite side while stepping forward to punch, giving him maximum power with each shot. Golovkin does the same thing but most fighters do not do so today.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                he's talking about golovkin throwing right hand, while stepping into a "southpaw stance" at the same time, temporarily.

i can totally see trainers teaching ppl not to, especially at a non-professional level. however i disagree to not learn to do this (for some its natural), u just have to (again, and like everything else) get the timing down so ur not stepping into punches.
                so switching paws???aka switch hitting?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  so switching paws???aka switch hitting?
                  no.
                  throw a right hand, and move ur right foot forward to be infront of ur left foot.

Comment

A lot of Soviet fighters do it from Chakhkiev to Golovkin, Lomachenko, Pirog and so on.

The thing with ''shifting'' (horrible incorrect term thrown around by an idiot trying to sound like he knows what he is talking about) is knowing when to do it same as switch-hitting. ''Shifting'' to close is a great way to get knocked senseless especially with your momentum coming forward.

A lot of what I see pieced together is not ''shifting'' its called overextending. Its not a skill its a very dangerous flaw. I believe it was this exact flaw people are trying to masque as a forgotten art or skill that got Froch seated by Groves.

Comment

Working...
                    X