Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s place among the modern greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd quit the sport for 2 years, and came back to fight a blown up LW. That puts a stain on his career.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Maidana was actually ranked in the top ten....Sadly Khan was not therefore it made since regardless of Khan winning head to head years prior

Oscar was past prime and still had some of the fastest hands at 154 just as Mayweather is past prime and he does at the current time at 147 and 154

In 46 fights the lineal champions he defeated were Genaro Hernandez, Baldomir, Castillo, Mosley, ODLH, Judah, Cotto, Marquez, Corrales, and Ricky Hatton ....a total of ten across 5 weight classes I may add

that's not even including good fighters like Canelo and other titlists

that's nothing to sneeze at with just 46 fights when guys with over a hundred fights haven't beaten 5 world champions let alone ten.....that's more than Archie Moore, Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez, Leonard, Holyfield, Charles, Willie Pep, Ike Williams, Carlos Ortiz, Hopkins etc.

I agree there are fighters he could have fought like TSZYU and Pacquaio but he has a lot of quality in just 46 fights
      The fact that Floyd beat more guys with titles than say, Leonard did just means the titles are more plentiful and lame now.

Floyd is great, but his best wins are....? Nowhere near as good as Leonard's, Duran's, etc. I mean...not even close.

Not really Floyd's fault. Except for the Pacquaio thing which will follow Floy'd name around forever. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around for those two guys not fighting.

Not sure why Floyd held the vote for Maidana/Khan if Khan weren't a viable opponent. Except to promote himself, which he is excellent at for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
        The fact that Floyd beat more guys with titles than say, Leonard did just means the titles are more plentiful and lame now.

Floyd is great, but his best wins are....? Nowhere near as good as Leonard's, Duran's, etc. I mean...not even close.

Not really Floyd's fault. Except for the Pacquaio thing which will follow Floy'd name around forever. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around for those two guys not fighting.

Not sure why Floyd held the vote for Maidana/Khan if Khan weren't a viable opponent. Except to promote himself, which he is excellent at for sure.
        I said the real title....lineal titles....meaning one champion

he beat more champions than Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Chavez, etc.

its just a fact not saying anyone is better than the other

he beat 10 people that were the man at some point in their career in their respective class

that has nothing to do with the title trinkets or how many belts there are

major title holders he defeated are like 18 or 19 and that's not even including guys that won the WBO title trinket. If you exclude the IBF he still has defeated over 15 title holders.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post

they have greater single wins but he has a better depth than both, won more lineal titles than both, defended his titles more than both, won more lineal title fights than both.

We can argue era's all day but the fact of the matter is im just speaking facts, not my opinion....you cant pick and choose who fights in your era.

Comment

Overall a pretty good list but the great Cuban fighter Napoles who fought out of Mexico and Los Angeles should be in the top 20 higher the Griffith since he beat the hell out of Griffith and I had a 2nd row seat for that. Napoles was a great boxer puncher. He was the best lightweight ever but the lightweight champions ducked him so he ruled the welterweights.

Comment

Jim Gray just said Floyd is top 20 ATG easy...

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                Overall a pretty good list but the great Cuban fighter Napoles who fought out of Mexico and Los Angeles should be in the top 20 higher the Griffith since he beat the hell out of Griffith and I had a 2nd row seat for that. Napoles was a great boxer puncher. He was the best lightweight ever but the lightweight champions ducked him so he ruled the welterweights.
                was thinking the same thing as far as Napoles...he won the welterweight title and had a two good reigns and even fought hall of famer Monzon for the middleweight title where he was absolutely dwarfed.

He was fairly small for welterweight but made up for it with great technique, smooth boxing skills, sharp punching and great head movement

He was far more potent and dominant at 135 and 140 and had he got title shots there, IMO he would be rated higher ATG

Imagine Napoles vs Ortiz, Laguna, Duran, Cervantez, and Nicolino Locche.....he'd put loses on most if not all of there ledgers....he was that good

Comment

Rocky Marciano should be in the top 20 above Moore and Charles because he KOed both of them and they both weighed more than he did in those fights. Pound for pound he was better than they were and ruled as world heavyweight champ for years at 182 to188 pounds. It's true.

Comment

ok after watching mayweather-baldomir 2 can we drop floyd? he can't win a fight without a football field sized ring, pillow gloves, and a paid off ref.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      ok after watching mayweather-baldomir 2 can we drop floyd? he can't win a fight without a football field sized ring, pillow gloves, and a paid off ref.
                      you forgot 2 of the three judges were on his payroll as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X