Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Naseem Hamed the most exciting fighter of the 90's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course not. It was DLH.

Comment

When you factor in ring entrances, dudes personality and how he would dispatch of opponents and then talk as much **** as he did. He was Floyd of the 90's but not as known. He's also the reason I even got into boxing in the first place. Friend of mine asked to put the fight on at my house, told me to pay attention. I did and was hooked ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by NorvernRob View Post
        Even my dad,who has zero interest in boxing normally, loved to watch Naz. The guy put on a show, he knocked people out, did the business.

Anyone who was around then and followed his career knows the Naz that lost to Barrera was a shadow of his former self. No excuses, he was well beaten that night but 3-4 years previously it would have been a different story.

The Prince is fo' real.
        This.....................

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          Of course not. It was DLH.
          Used to go to fight parties back then.

The chicks loved DLH.

Comment

It was Oscar de la Hoya!

Comment

To the couple of Brits who took exception to my comments perhaps they were overly harsh. Not really my intent. Its all opinion. I saw the ceiling for Naz pretty early and yes, felt he was wayyyyyy more sizzle than steak. I didn't find him all that exciting but I can see how people could. HBO clearly saw a huge upside to him. And yes, I was around back then. Watching since the early eighties kiddos. Remember, its all opinion.
              Last edited by Motofan; 09-13-2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

He was definitely in the top echelon ....if he had been American and around in the late 2000s, he would have made himself an extra 50 million or so.

Don't know why so many people hate him, he was a great show and never remember him actually being anything but a complete show.

Comment

Originally posted by moochi View Post
                  He was definitely in the top echelon ....if he had been American and around in the late 2000s, he would have made himself an extra 50 million or so.

Don't know why so many people hate him, he was a great show and never remember him actually being anything but a complete show.
                  he had the odd ****ty fight, like that one with wayne

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    Obviously this is not true either. There's some kind of myth that Naz doesn't have a good resume, but he pretty much fought everyone relevant in his weightclass. Ingle wasn't the best he fought either at that point - I think there's at least 4-5 guys that were better than him.

I don't think they were the same though or alike - personality wise. Broner is more akin to Mayweather than Naz. No class and no sense of humour. Naz was a funny guy, though I can see how some Americans might have misunderstood him, but he was a joker. He's a northern englishman, a born comedian.

Broner is just daft, has no class and not much intelligence. And on top of that, he's not really that exciting in the ring. Though I must admit he was as a lightweight.

I think Naz might go into the HOF one day. He defended his title 15 or so times and despite the lack of one super name on his resume, I think he'll go in. Not first ballot though.
                    broner busting his ass on that skateboard was funnier than anything naz even said or done although neither one of them is funny to me.

broner isnt dumb either, dude went to college at age 16. he is dumb as far as decision making goes but he doesnt have low intelligence. he acts dumb and plays a character to maximize his profits.

broner is clearly exciting, trying to take that from him just proves you are a biased hater. if he is more entertaining than naz or not is debatable (imo he is) but everyone has to admit the kid puts on good fights.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                      broner busting his ass on that skateboard was funnier than anything naz even said or done although neither one of them is funny to me.

broner isnt dumb either, dude went to college at age 16. he is dumb as far as decision making goes but he doesnt have low intelligence. he acts dumb and plays a character to maximize his profits.

broner is clearly exciting, trying to take that from him just proves you are a biased hater. if he is more entertaining than naz or not is debatable (imo he is) but everyone has to admit the kid puts on good fights.
                      Went to college at 16?? Before finishing high school? I have a hard time believing that. And did he finish? Unless he went on a scholarship which we both know doesn't mean crap then. I was in college in the states and there were numerous athletes in my classes and they were all dumb.

Which of his fights at top level were exciting though? And lol at 'pathetic hater' don't be a pissy little fanboy. I was a big broner fan when he campaigned at lightweight, where, as i said i before he was pretty good. But since he's moved up he's stunk the place up in every fight. He's all talk and no substance. He doesn't have the power necessary. But he talks as if he's the best ever, but was handled by Malignaggi. I mean come on, the guy is as exciting as Mayweather in the ring, which is not really that much if we're honest.

If that makes me a pathetic hater then so be it.
                      Last edited by LacedUp; 09-13-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X