Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most guys at the top level fight twice a year...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everytime someone from the boxing community passes I get to thinking stuff like that too. Like, what was the big fight they wanted to see before they passed (not that boxing is more important than other stuff in life)

Side question...Are you sick or something..u sound a little worried about the future?

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
      Everytime someone from the boxing community passes I get to thinking stuff like that too. Like, what was the big fight they wanted to see before they passed (not that boxing is more important than other stuff in life)

Side question...Are you sick or something..u sound a little worried about the future?
      No, I'm actually not. Not that I'm aware of at least. Just a thought I've been having. If you think about it, it can make you take at look at our sport in an interesting way. Honestly boxing is the only sport I follow so I guess that's why I get so emotionally involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
        When you make millions of dollars by fighting once or twice a year, why would you want to fight more? It's hunger that motivated fighters back in the day to fight 4 or 5 times a year, there was also 1 belt at every weight division and there were also less divisions than now, a title holder had too many contenders to beat to stay champion, and that's why great fights were made and that's why boxing was much more popular than now.

Fighters making tooooo much money+ too many belts= no need to fight too often (especially at the top level)
        I guess this is the answer right here. This is the reason myself and many others are slowly transitioning into casuals. Sad state really.

Comment

a champion should defend he's title three times in a year.

Comment

It is unfortunate that the top tier fighters only fight 2 times a year. We all should have witnessed some monster match ups, instant classics! Ppv cards should be stacked. I think that would draw the casual fan in.

Comment

It's becoming a joke. The worst part is that people are OK with this. It is getting worse. We need to fight for the cause! We need to riot and demand what is right! .....Not really but you get my drift.

Comment

The money they are making especially Mayweather and Pacquiao...they don't need to fight that much in a year. However when they where younger and working their way up to the stardom they have achieved now, they did fight more in a year.

It is no excuse for the other fighters who haven't reached their level yet

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  If i get sick this year and am on the verge of death....i will be wishing i could see my kids grow and had more time with them...sorry but i will not be worried about a damn fight

of course you wouldnt, you a floyd fan.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    I am a long time boxing fan and I remember the days when top fighters fought about 4 times a year and good champions defended their titles against top 10 contenders 3 or sometimes 4 times a year. The fighters still got lots of time off between training camps. I don't understand why so many top fighters only fight twice a year and some champions only defen
                    Gone as well are the days when fighters take a risk with a big-money fight on the line next, Whitaker fought an unknown Hurtado with the Dela Hoya fight already plan, Dela Hoya and Trinidad take on seperate foes before they fought, imagine if one of them had lost, now the likes of Mayweather and Pacquiao are not willing to face mandatory title challengers.

Comment

Good good thread op. Completely agree. I don't know about anyone else here but what also bothers me is when you see a good prospect slow down. You know you see them developing, they're fighting decent guys who have good experience, they are stopping opponents left and right, they have good skills, they seem to be deserving the hype and they are improving their opposition every fight and not just padding their resume. But then once they get a title shot, not even a world title just a national title, they stop fighting every month or two and just fight at most 3 times a year.

Here in the UK it's really bad for this. Khan developed reasonably well even if he did get wrecked by Prescott but now he has only fought once this year. Chris Eubank jr looks exciting and is developing nicely but you wonder if he'll suddenly start taking long layoffs. Even George groves is a good example.

In my opinion if we had same day weigh ins this would force the fighters to fight more often. No more preparing to dehydrate so you can come in heavier so they would have no choice but to fight at their natural weight. People sometimes talk smack about the amateurs but the amateur scene is very active because of this. Old time great like Archie Moore never needed day before weigh ins. He satyed in good shape by fighting year round.

Nowadays a lot of camps are just fat camps, little work on skill. That's why I respect guys like froch and even floyd, even if they aren't as active as they should they keep in shape year round.

TLR prospects can dissapointed you. Same day weigh ins can help the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X